Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2019, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,285 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I had discomfort in my upper left second molar, so I went to my dentist and they said I had a small cavity. The dentist also took X-rays and said there was nothing there of concern. They filled it and after two weeks I still had slight discomfort in the tooth. I went back to the dentist and they told me it was pulpitis and that the pain should go away in a few weeks. About a month and a half went by with no pain until about a week ago where I started feeling very sensitive to hot and cold drinks/food and pain when I bite down hard once again. I am wondering if this sounds like I will need a root canal or if it could be a crack in the filling exposing the nerve. I am going to go back to the dentist, but I would like a second opinion on what it could be. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 03:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 18,280,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Directormandrew View Post
A few months ago I had discomfort in my upper left second molar, so I went to my dentist and they said I had a small cavity. The dentist also took X-rays and said there was nothing there of concern. They filled it and after two weeks I still had slight discomfort in the tooth. I went back to the dentist and they told me it was pulpitis and that the pain should go away in a few weeks. About a month and a half went by with no pain until about a week ago where I started feeling very sensitive to hot and cold drinks/food and pain when I bite down hard once again. I am wondering if this sounds like I will need a root canal or if it could be a crack in the filling exposing the nerve. I am going to go back to the dentist, but I would like a second opinion on what it could be. Thank you
Do you want a second "opinion" from a dentist who sees you in person or an "opinion" from a bunch of strangers on an anonymous web forum who can't see you in person? There are a couple of members here who happen to be dentists but they may also recommend seeing a second one before deciding what is needed.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:08 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,172,708 times
I had a filling done and afterward I had major discomfort when drinking hot and cold liquids. I tried waiting it out a few weeks to see if my tooth pain would go away, but it did not. I finally got into see my dentist and after examination and x-rays he determined I needed a root canal. After I had the root canal my tooth has been fine with hot and cold items. Definitely get yourself into the dentist again, chances are you might need a root canal.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:18 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,168,547 times
Sounds like classic symptoms of needing a root canal & crown. I've had root canals and it always started with what you describe - hot/cold sensitivity, and/or pain when biting down. There has been one than more cause that resulted in having to get a root canal. Once it was an attempt to replace an old filling and in the process, the tooth cracked - which wasn't realized at the time. But within a couple of weeks, the tooth became cold sensitive and there was pain chewing. Went back to the dentist where the hairline crack was covered and was sent to the oral surgeon for a root canal. Now I never mess with old fillings. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Sorry to say that it sounds like root canal and crown may be in your future - just from what you describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health