U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 09:42 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,894,547 times

Advertisements

I didn't grow up with mouth wash at home.

As an adult, is it necessary for some or all after brushing, or occasionally instead of brushing if brushing is inconvenient at the moment?

Maybe Tom's of Maine is a trusted, simple brand here in New England, or just get Scope or any other of the national brands?

Do I gargle or just swish it around, then spit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 11:44 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Some here will tell you swishing grease is better.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:40 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,630,743 times
Just brush and floss to keep your teeth and gums healthy.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:09 PM

10,394 posts, read 4,686,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I didn't grow up with mouth wash at home.

As an adult, is it necessary for some or all after brushing, or occasionally instead of brushing if brushing is inconvenient at the moment?

Maybe Tom's of Maine is a trusted, simple brand here in New England, or just get Scope or any other of the national brands?

Do I gargle or just swish it around, then spit?
There are all sorts of different formulations these days so it depends on what you are trying to do. IMHO it isn't necessary, it is just an additional option many people choose to add to their daily brush/floss routine. Many people are paranoid about their breath and killing every bit of bacteria that might be in their mouth. Seems like overkill. Unless of course you have some sort of prescription to treat a specific problem...maybe an inflamed or infected gum. I didn't grow up using any and can't recall anyone else in my family using them either. Using a mouthwash instead of brushing or flossing on a daily basis probably won't keep your teeth or gums as clean because you aren't physically removing anything off or in between the surfaces.

I don't tend to have dental problems or chronic bad breath, but I keep a bottle at the kitchen sink. Sometimes I'll do a quick brush with mouthwash after eating something with a strong odor, or drinking black tea...it tends to stain your teeth over time.

As for how to use, follow the directions for the specific product.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:06 AM

767 posts, read 448,413 times
No, mouthwash is not a necessity.

Things that pertain to your survival are necessities. Mouthwash is not one of them.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:30 PM

37 posts, read 16,304 times
While mouthwash does kill bacteria, it doesn’t distinguish between harmful bacteria and the helpful flora that live in your mouth.

https://askthedentist.com/best-natural-mouthwash/

Old 09-28-2019, 10:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 299,811 times
Mouthwash isn't necessary. Brushing- actually FLOSSING is more important.
Just gargle and spit!

Old 10-03-2019, 05:31 PM

2,362 posts, read 4,964,393 times
I would urge caution with mouthwashes. I had a good friend who had a bout of oral thrush after taking a course of antibiotics, and the doctor and dentist he saw both said to steer clear of mouthwashes, as they kill off good and bad bacteria, but don't kill off candida, which can lead to thrush. His thrush wasn't caused by mouthwash, it was from the antibiotics which also killed off all bacteria good and bad. He did have to take antifungal meds to get rid of the thrush.

Oral thrush is a different topic, but the message was that things like mouthwashes can upset the balance of flora in the mouth and cause problems. Agree with other posters who mentioned this as well.

I also think there was some research a while back that suggested that alcohol-based mouthwashes (Listerine) can cause mouth cancer. A lot of companies have since come out with non-alcohol rinses, but they still kill off good and bad stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or