Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 11:51 AM

30 posts, read 21,775 times

Advertisements

​And why

​i would when I was about 8 , I had one where he said I needed a tooth out and then went on a rant about not eating cakes , drinks etc , my mum swapped dentist after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 02:41 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
​And why

​i would when I was about 8 , I had one where he said I needed a tooth out and then went on a rant about not eating cakes , drinks etc , my mum swapped dentist after that.
Well, it is pretty well established that eating too many sweets isn't good for your teeth. Doesn't matter whether one particular dentist rants about it or not.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:45 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
OP: If I could do things over, I'd HOPEFULLY back off the sweets big time, make the dentists more money for sure.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:46 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Any of the ones I had when I was a kid. I was born in 1953 and had at least 3 dentists between then and when I got out of college (we moved a couple of times). NONE used anaesthetic. I always had multiple cavities on each visit- not sure why since my 4 siblings rarely had cavities- my sister had her first one as an adult and a brother never had one till he was in HS and started buying bags of candy on the way home from basketball practice. I suppose the worst was the time the dentist finished filling them all, was checking my teeth and said, "Doggone it, there's another one". Out with the drill again.

I still remember the first dentist who numbed me before drilling. I couldn't believe the difference. God bless you, Dr. Mooney.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:57 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
worst and why:

first, there were worst ones, but those were necessary since i have soft teeth (genetics).
second, this is the worst because i have had several for comparison....

Norfolk, VA. (my pet peeve on C-D...no specifics)
dentist died in 2002. no need to post his family name.

why: i only went there because i dated his dental hygienist.
she was hot, but he was not. loose fillings, and reconstructive
work was necessary later on.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:40 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Any of the ones I had when I was a kid. I was born in 1953 and had at least 3 dentists between then and when I got out of college (we moved a couple of times). NONE used anaesthetic. I always had multiple cavities on each visit- not sure why since my 4 siblings rarely had cavities- my sister had her first one as an adult and a brother never had one till he was in HS and started buying bags of candy on the way home from basketball practice. I suppose the worst was the time the dentist finished filling them all, was checking my teeth and said, "Doggone it, there's another one". Out with the drill again.

I still remember the first dentist who numbed me before drilling. I couldn't believe the difference. God bless you, Dr. Mooney.
That's weird, I had the same experience! I was born in 1946 and every 6 months I would go to the dentist and every time they would find new cavities to fill - without a local anesthetic. I think when I got all my permanent teeth they started using a local but by the time I was 18 or so I don't recall getting many new cavities but the existing fillings kept falling out. Every time they refilled them they would drill out more of the tooth, as time went on there was so little tooth structure left in some teeth that I had to start getting them crowned. I don't think my brother ever had a cavity, but he got horrible periodontal disease when he was an adult and in spite of a number of surgeries and procedures ended up losing all of his teeth in his late 30's.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:56 AM

81 posts, read 43,866 times
I went to get a routine cleaning and it went south pretty quickly. The hygienist cleaned my teeth and the dentist began scolding me for not brushing enough. She then determined I needed to have a procedure done (can't remember what for). The 2 hygienists that were working on my mouth were rude. They put the chair ALL the way back which almost made me sick. To add insult , they kept putting random tools in my mouth , which I almost choked on. They kept telling me not to swallow , but it was dang near impossible to NOT swallow. They also talked crap about my teeth right in front of me.

I don't go to that dentist anymore.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:07 AM

629 posts, read 933,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
​And why

The nerve of that dentist - telling you how to keep your mouth healthy! Your mum did the right thing. I'm glad she realized it is perfectly normal for an 8 year old to need a tooth pulled. My 8 year old daughter has her annual check-up with her pediatrician this week before school starts. If that doctor gives me some BS about how she can stay healthy, I am outta there!

Old 08-13-2019, 02:49 PM

22,844 posts, read 6,437,040 times
Born in 1947 my parents started taking me to the dentist at about 3. He was kind and did numb the area he worked on, but he had a habit of tickling me every time I went there, and in the reception area there was a chart with smiling or crying faces on it...I always had a smiling face by my name but felt sorry for the kids humiliated by a crying face next to their name.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:38 PM

294 posts, read 743,708 times
Dentist was putting in a new crown and she dropped it right down my throat, too far to cough it up and my throat just had a swallow reflex and there it went.

She then had the temerity to suggest that I go searching for it with latex gloves the next time I poop and bring it in so they could sterilize it and use it.

I told her to make a new crown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health