U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2019, 07:50 PM

184 posts, read 199,173 times

Advertisements

About two months ago I got a root canal and crown on one of my canine teeth. I wear a retainer so I had to go back twice and get an adjustment on the retainer because I felt like it was too tight on my new crown (I have one of those hard plastic retainers). The first time I called, I was told to make an appointment and come in and she would make the adjustment. The second time I called, I was told there would be an office visit charge. I balked at this since I paid $1850 for the dental work for the root canal and crown. I think it was probably the tight retainer that has caused my current situation. My crown is tender when I touch it, and I am beginning to feel a dull ache in that root canal. (I wasn't feeling any tenderness or discomfort til recently). Will they fix whatever the problem is without additional charges, or will I be charged for additional work? In other words, is the work they did guaranteed? I kinda think it would be guaranted, but the fact that I've been in the office twice afterwards getting my retainer adjusted makes me nervous... .as if they will think I have exhausted their good will. I am nervous about it because I don't know what to expect from them as a response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 08:14 PM

7,808 posts, read 3,763,641 times
Good will ?
Professionals usually will re evaluate the cause and effect. Which your visits will concur created the further need to redo/adjust.
Mine did a replacement when 2 weeks later the crown dislodged. No cost. Not even for his "time" .
Some will justify or try to use varying excuses to get you to meet them half way on their mistake. Thus they haven't lost a dime. Dental markups avg 125-150% percent.
Consult with your dentist. If he is upstanding..he will correct the problem.

Old 10-26-2019, 08:33 PM

2,522 posts, read 1,772,211 times
If it's their error and they charge you again to fix it, IMO, it's time to find a different dentist.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:33 AM

528 posts, read 690,893 times
What do they charge you for an office visit? My dentist charges $60 (depending). Also, was this a regular dentist that did the root canal, & not an endodontist? You might want to pay for a consult with a (really good) endodontist in your area.

Also, $1850 for both a root canal and crown would be unheard of around here (New England). Root canals alone are $1400+, & the same for crowns......

Old 10-27-2019, 10:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,144 posts, read 58,594,294 times
I have had several root canals, crowns, and implants. In every case I had to sign a document acknowledging that there could be a failure resulting in serious complications. Based on that I would say that no, they are not guaranteed. The only problems I ever had were the crown coming off, and the dentist did not charge to re-cement them.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:31 PM

440 posts, read 98,969 times
I didn't think the acrylic retainers could be adjusted like that. I had to get a root canal and crown and there was no way my retainer fit. Two different doctors, one who only does root canals (and the crowns that go on them) and the other regular dentist who did my braces. The crown was bigger than the original tooth and not the exact same shape. I had to be fitted for a completely new retainer to accommodate the new shape and size molar.

But that retainer broke when I tried to pull it off a few nights later. THAT one was replaced at no extra charge to me, the dentist just told the company that makes them that it was defective. Had the replacement 10 days later, no problem. She gave me a duplicate for half price too.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:34 AM

611 posts, read 518,326 times
Sounds like the problem is with your existing retainer, not the crown and/or root canal itself. Your retainer was designed to fit the shape of your teeth as they were at the time. Now you have a crown, hence your tooth is not the exact shape it used to be. You might need a new retainer and should be charged accordingly. If you buy a suit but then gain weight a few years later, the tailor will charge you for any alterations or a new suit.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:26 PM

1,162 posts, read 300,425 times
I had 2 Root canal. One aches still and one doesn't.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:56 PM

2 posts, read 593 times
A root canal is frequently the most conservative treatment when a root is infected or a tooth has severe decay or damage. Like root canals, dental implants have a high success rate. But there are risks with dental implants, as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqhcZ6Itjko
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or