Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 04:22 AM

698 posts, read 1,008,777 times

Advertisements

Dear friends,
I am a reasonably healthy 72 year old. In my 30s I had periodontal gum surgery and have been followed by a periodontist since then. I get deep cleanings once a year and go to a general dentist hygienist for cleaning in between. I have a pocket in the very last tooth on my top left, number 15, that periodontist advised extracting because the pocket is deep, its a 6 or 7, I believe. Periodontist said that if I do not have it extracted, I could also lose the tooth next to it. I believe he said the tooth next to it is already affected a bit and so he recommends extracting 15 and putting a bone graft on the one next to it. The tooth is not loose, does not hurt and feels perfectly fine. The will give me IV sedation, I have to take antibiotics and steroids for a week. The periodontist is with a reputable practice, the most prestigious in the city I live. I checked with a former periodontist from my former residence who told me that an implant may have to be placed there after it heals to avoid losing the bottom tooth below it because that tooth needs an opposing tooth.

I am scheduled to have this done in a couple days and would appreciate hearing your experience regarding this issue.... if you have been through anything like this. thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 04:22 PM

5,375 posts, read 3,391,007 times
I believe in dental procedures, some people on here do not. If I was 72, I would just have #15 pulled (if necessary) and wait to see what will happen to 14 and 18 (the bottom opposing molar). I would not go through with having a bone graft and implant at this time.

But I'm not a dentist so I don't know how many years it would take to affect #18. Ten years? 15?

Old 11-03-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I believe in dental procedures, some people on here do not. If I was 72, I would just have #15 pulled (if necessary) and wait to see what will happen to 14 and 18 (the bottom opposing molar). I would not go through with having a bone graft and implant at this time.

But I'm not a dentist so I don't know how many years it would take to affect #18. Ten years? 15?
Thank you for your opinion. He didn’t t tell me why I need bone graft. He mentioned that the adjacent tooth is already affected but didn’t elaborate. I’ll call tomorrow and try to find out. I’m wondering how many years number 14 will last with no bone graft.

Last edited by whitelotus; 11-03-2019 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 11-04-2019, 01:08 PM

996 posts, read 372,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Dear friends,
I am a reasonably healthy 72 year old. In my 30s I had periodontal gum surgery and have been followed by a periodontist since then. I get deep cleanings once a year and go to a general dentist hygienist for cleaning in between. I have a pocket in the very last tooth on my top left, number 15, that periodontist advised extracting because the pocket is deep, its a 6 or 7, I believe. Periodontist said that if I do not have it extracted, I could also lose the tooth next to it. I believe he said the tooth next to it is already affected a bit and so he recommends extracting 15 and putting a bone graft on the one next to it. The tooth is not loose, does not hurt and feels perfectly fine. The will give me IV sedation, I have to take antibiotics and steroids for a week. The periodontist is with a reputable practice, the most prestigious in the city I live. I checked with a former periodontist from my former residence who told me that an implant may have to be placed there after it heals to avoid losing the bottom tooth below it because that tooth needs an opposing tooth.

I am scheduled to have this done in a couple days and would appreciate hearing your experience regarding this issue.... if you have been through anything like this. thanks in advance!
I think you are getting good advice. I am a few years younger and just went through almost the same procedure. The tooth may not hurt now, but with a pocket that deep, an infection could start at any time. With an infection, it becomes a different issue.

I ended up getting an implant there. So far, so good,

Old 11-04-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
I think you are getting good advice. I am a few years younger and just went through almost the same procedure. The tooth may not hurt now, but with a pocket that deep, an infection could start at any time. With an infection, it becomes a different issue.

I ended up getting an implant there. So far, so good,
Thank you Fuele! I was hoping to hear from someone who’d been through this. Really appreciate your sharing

Old 11-04-2019, 07:55 PM

3,280 posts, read 2,247,962 times
I had a 6 pocket one year and the doctor checked and said it looked like something caused the gum to swell up. She put some weird clay-like antibiotic gel surrounding the tooth that didn't harden exactly but became like a flexible shell. Said I needed to not floss or brush that one tooth for three days. Went back on the 4th day and the pocket was down to a 3. She said we should keep an eye on it during the next 6-month cleaning, and that was that. Wasn't a problem, our guess is a popcorn kernel got stuck in it a few days before that first visit, and caused a mild infection.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,103 posts, read 80,155,784 times
I had a similar situation in which both were bad enough to need removal, at age 64. With good dental insurance and double coverage (Delta thru my employer and also on my wife's) it still cost me about $2,000 with the grafts and implants. At your age and with it being the last one I would probably just have it removed and leave it at that. It's generally good to follow the dentist's recommendations and hope it's based on fact not profit. Unfortunately this kind of procedure will usually require you to sign a disclaimer document because there are no guarantees.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:39 PM

3,054 posts, read 1,507,039 times
They didn’t recommend a root canal and perm crown? Im your age and thats what my dentist usually recommends. They believe in keeping your original teeth.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I had a similar situation in which both were bad enough to need removal, at age 64. With good dental insurance and double coverage (Delta thru my employer and also on my wife's) it still cost me about $2,000 with the grafts and implants. At your age and with it being the last one I would probably just have it removed and leave it at that. It's generally good to follow the dentist's recommendations and hope it's based on fact not profit. Unfortunately this kind of procedure will usually require you to sign a disclaimer document because there are no guarantees.
We don’t have dental insurance. Mine costs roughly $2000 for tooth extraction and bone graft on the adjacent tooth, no implant, yet that is

Old 11-05-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I had a 6 pocket one year and the doctor checked and said it looked like something caused the gum to swell up. She put some weird clay-like antibiotic gel surrounding the tooth that didn't harden exactly but became like a flexible shell. Said I needed to not floss or brush that one tooth for three days. Went back on the 4th day and the pocket was down to a 3. She said we should keep an eye on it during the next 6-month cleaning, and that was that. Wasn't a problem, our guess is a popcorn kernel got stuck in it a few days before that first visit, and caused a mild infection.
Wow, wish that was my issue....I’ve had the packet for couple of years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health