U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 12:55 PM

2,968 posts, read 1,221,053 times

Advertisements

Lilli, well it’s certainly not fun and I have always had dental anxiety. I had all my teeth pulled with Novocain and Xanax only. I wouldn’t call it a traumatic experience. My grandma had all her teeth pulled and then went to her scheduled shift working in a factory. I came home and went to bed. I am definitely not as tough as grandma)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 11:05 AM

41,831 posts, read 16,564,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
A Valium? Ha! Like heaven.orgasm. amazing. Best opiate ever. You'll get addicted! That's a good thing....
Incorrect. Mar 25, 2019 · The short answer is “no,” Valium is the brand name of the drug diazepam, which belongs the class of drugs called benzodiazepines; it is not an opiate. https://riveroakstreatment.com/presc...ium-an-opiate/

OP, I had three wisdom teeth removed (a 4th never formed). Two were normal; one was impacted. I had a fear of anesthesia at the time and chose not to have it. Wrong choice! The two normal teeth came out with ease. The impacted one was deep in my jaw, partially underneath a healthy molar. The surgeon had to break the wisdom tooth into multiple pieces and remove them without harming the healthy tooth. It took nearly two hours digging in my jaw to accomplish the task.

Now for the scary part. As it turns out, some people are wired differently when it comes to nerves. There are typically 3 or 4 nerves going to a molar. Some people have more nerves going to each lower molar (or wisdom tooth), and a regular novocaine shot isn't enough to deaden all of the nerves. Unfortunately, it's impossible for the dentist to actually see the nerves prior to administering the drug and beginning the procedure. I have a fairly high tolerance for pain. However, 15 minutes or so into my procedure I started to feel excruciating pain. As it turned out, I'm one of the unfortunates who have multiple extra nerves going to the molars. As the procedure had already started, I couldn't tell the dentist what I was feeling -- which was him cutting my jaw, cutting the wisdom tooth into pieces, putting in multiple layers of sutures when the extraction was completed. I felt every touch; every motion; every instrument. It was excruciating. As the surgeon continued the procedure, it was all I could do not to move and jerk from the pain. It was absolutely horrible.

If I had chosen to have general anesthesia or at least a very strong sedative, it would have saved me from the worst pain imaginable.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:44 AM

266 posts, read 59,309 times
It is not common with 1 wisdom tooth. One can withstand the pain and opening mouth for 15 minutes but 4 tooth can take a lot longer and lot painful. I suggest to take the sedation. Even if you can tolerate the pain of extraction the pain of remaining your mouth open for almost an hour will be unnerving.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:19 PM

819 posts, read 446,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualScreen View Post
In my case he'll do it without sedation but says it can be brutal and that overall it would be easier to me to have it done with sedation.

I think he might be exaggerating, though, and just wants me to be unaware so he can be sloppy.
I had my 4 wisdom teeth pulled with local anesthesia and nitrous oxide. It wasn't bad at all. You are still awake on gas, you just don't give a crap about what's going on. I even thought it was funny that the doctor had to put his knee on my chest to get better leverage to yank out one tooth.

You recover from the gas quickly once they stop giving it to you. That's why I went that route, at the time I had no one to drive me home and they wouldn't do full sedation and then turn you lose with a car afterwards.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:57 PM

623 posts, read 808,658 times
Quote:
In my case he'll do it without sedation but says it can be brutal and that overall it would be easier to me to have it done with sedation.

I think he might be exaggerating, though, and just wants me to be unaware so he can be sloppy.
I just had a tooth extracted and bone graft. I chose IV sedation because I wanted my dentist to do his best work. It never entered my mind that he’d use my being unaware as an excuse to be “sloppy.” Is there a reason why you evidently don’t trust your dentist?

Old 11-25-2019, 11:43 AM

615 posts, read 602,096 times
Quote:

If you do not trust that your dentist will do a good job, then why are you even contemplating letting them do surgery on you? Move on, find a dentist that you do trust.

Old 11-30-2019, 07:28 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,107,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
I just had a tooth extracted and bone graft. I chose IV sedation because I wanted my dentist to do his best work. It never entered my mind that he’d use my being unaware as an excuse to be “sloppy.” Is there a reason why you evidently don’t trust your dentist?

Hmmm maybe I should ask my general surgeon to keep me awake for my gall bladder removal next month so I can make sure he's not being sloppy.

The sedation is to allow him to work quicker because he doesn't have to worry if you are comfortable and doesn't have to baby you. There has been good research for decades showing that quicker surgery results in less postoperative swelling and pain.

This place really is like Lord of the Flies.

Old 12-01-2019, 08:58 AM

15,926 posts, read 33,578,692 times
Quote:

OMG, really???? What do you mean by "sloppy?" If you even think that way you should NOT be using this dentist! I am having major dental surgery next month for which I will be completely sedated, and I place FULL confidence and trust in my oral surgeon/dentist team!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health