Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:51 AM

20 posts, read 89,146 times

Advertisements

I have an upper partial that spans the length of 10 teeth all in a row. Previously I had full mouth crowning which was beautiful, and I was very happy with it. A few years later, some of my teeth began to break off at the gum line. It's a long story, but these are the teeth that had not gotten permanently seated, so I guess they were not properly protected.

I've tried getting a partial 6 times now in the last 3 or 4 years, but they never match the appearance, and of course not the comfort, of my crowns. I understand adjusting to the different feeling, but I don't understand why they can't come closer to the 'look' of my original mouth. They make me look like a freak, like I either have horse teeth or a monkey's stretched upper lip. I have a recessed upper jaw, and they always want to build that out with the acrylic 'gum' part, which overly stretches my upper lip. I've tried both dentists and denturists, and the best one came from the latter, but when I went back to him to get another one, he did a very horrible job, and I'm incredibly discouraged and disappointed about this. He can't even make it fit so it doesn't hurt, and says it's my fault because I got a new crown next to it, but he's taken a whole new upper impression since then, so I don't know how that excuses him.

My question here, if anyone might know, is when they come back with the final processing and deliver the 'finished product', but something doesn't look right, can they redo some of the teeth, especially the way they were placed? Sometimes they are too long, or they show too much gum above, especially when they have to change the 'fit', and that changes the positioning of the teeth. I've only been told "it's more difficult than when they're in the 'try-in' wax", but no one says whether it's possible. I cannot afford yet another try for the whole process.

Thanks for any answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 06:45 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
It can be troublesome when you get a partial that doesn't fit perfectly the first time. It's especially troublesome if the dentist assumes that the bad fit is caused by the one tooth-area that the patient claims is giving them trouble.

Reason: You have *one* partial. You don't have 10 teeth anymore. It is all one single device. If the spot near tooth #5 feels too long, then sure, it might be too long. HOWEVER: it could be, that teeth #1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 are all too short. And if you fix tooth #5 and shave it down, you end up with bad or no occlusion (top teeth don't mesh properly against bottom teeth). Or maybe they add just a little too much "gum" to one tiny spot on tooth #6 and it's causing tooth #5 to push a little to the side, so really all they needed to do was shave smooth the spot on tooth #6. BUt since they didn't, and shortened tooth #5, you now have a properly-sized tooth #5, but you now realize that the gum on tooth #6 feels funny/hurts.

This is why they will sometimes recommend a whole brand spanking new fitting and process. Sometimes it is just a matter of shaving down a single tooth. Sometimes though, doing that will result in even more problems than when you started.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:02 PM

What about if it's the two front teeth? It shows too much gum above them and they hang down too far over the lower front teeth. I don't want the teeth themselves shortened because that changes the structure of the dental tooth, and it still leaves too much gum above both front teeth. The rest of it is fine. There is no bite problem or anything wrong on the sides.

So, I've hopefully figured out a better way to word this. Can the two front teeth be repositioned after final processing? Can they cut them out and put them back in the way that would look better? I've been told both yes and no, depending on which dental or denture office I ask. If it 'can' be done, maybe it's a matter now of finding someone who would work on it for me. I could not pay for a whole new one again; I've already tried that a second time recently and it turned out worse than the one I'm talking about. I've just decided to scrap that one and try to get the previous one fixed. In the meantime, I'm wearing an older one that doesn't fit well anymore -- too loose because of new bridgework right next to it. She put some acrylic on it to tighten it up once, but that came off. She can do that again, though, for the meantime.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:55 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
You want your mouth to look like something it isn't meant to look like. For whatever reason, your jaw/mouth/other teeth can't accommodate the look you want. Two teeth within a 10-tooth denture could certainly be removed, reshaped, and repositioned. But that'll result in the whole device no longer lining up the same way it did before; not just those two teeth. Again, it is all ONE device. It is no longer 10 teeth.

Dentures are not individual fake teeth superglued onto a metal strip and dipped in flesh-colored acrylic. They are a single device, molded and shaped, and covered with enamel and baked until finished.

If someone said they could remove only the two teeth you don't like, then I'd venture to guess you don't really have a denture at all, but rather, a bridge with a couple of flippers.

What you need, and what you want, might not be the same thing. Find a dentist who will explain EXACTLY what you have, and EXACTLY why it isn't fitting the way you want it to fit. Trying to find answers here on the forum about something none of us can see, is going to result in miscommunication between you and your dental care professional.

As for what you can afford: get on a payment plan. Or, accept that you'll be getting second-rate work and not liking the results. Or, don't get anything done, and live with whatever you have now. And start saving up, because when what you have now, starts falling apart, you're going to need it done again. And prices don't go down, in dental work.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 PM

It was a 'yes' or 'no' question, and I found out today from my former dentist who is now retired that it is called, in dental terms, a "resetting" to remove some of the teeth from the 'one' appliance, and put them back in a different position. They grind them out, take out a little extra of the hard acrylic, put in the wax and the teeth, then do the final processing again. It's not an uncommon procedure at all, and others have told me it is quite possible for something to get mis-aligned between the try-in and the final, which is what has happened in my case, and has made it look like it shouldn't.

Last edited by DorInOr; 01-16-2012 at 08:39 PM..

Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 AM

1 posts, read 14,628 times
I am getting plates do they hurt when getting them do you get a injection when getting them some one tell me

Old 11-05-2015, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 10,580 times
I have a partial that do not fit correctly after getting it back after having my tooth crown ,what should be done in this case?

Old 11-06-2015, 12:59 PM

That should be an easy fix. They should be able to adjust the new partial for you so it fits.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,682 times
Just got new partials. Look like horse teeth. Left off eye tooth and now have a space. New teeth extend longer than my own teeth.
Why is it so hard for a lab to make partials. You can clearly see my own teeth are very small and they created a partial with huge teeth and left out two teeth because they said there wasn’t enough room. So fed up with these labs. Please help.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,348 times
I just got a new upper partial and the acrylic is the wrong color, it's too thick and the teeth do not match my natural teeth color. On top of that it is not aesthetically pleasing. My old one was a flexible partial and the acrylic is much thinner than this new one. How can I explain to my dentist how unhappy I am with this new partial without him getting defensive or dismissive. I also have a bottom partial and the acrylic is just too thick, it's not snuggled against my gums, the bottom teeth bump into my upper teeth and I can't eat or talk right because of it. Should I advise my dental insurance company of my unhappiness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health