U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2019, 01:15 PM

1,146 posts, read 2,123,241 times

Advertisements

I was having uncomfortable sensitivity (hot and cold, and even a cold wind) to a tooth last week. Made an appointment with my regular dentist on Thursday. He took 2 x-rays, didn't see too much "darkness" on the x-ray, which apparently shows that I'd need a root canal.

But the sensitivity to hot and cold is a telltale sign that I'd need a root canal. He gave me a prescription for 500 mg Amoxicillin until the appointment.

The sensitivity has diminished a good amount, but can slightly feel minor discomfort mainly when I tap on the tooth.

Wishful thinking, but is it possible that the antibiotic could take care of the infection, and I wouldn't need a root canal???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 01:32 PM

598 posts, read 465,725 times
If the tooth's nerve is the source of the infection, then it must be treated appropriately (root canal or extraction). Antiobiotics will provide some temporary relief, but as long as the source remains the infection will ultimately come back.

Old 11-26-2019, 02:53 PM

1,146 posts, read 2,123,241 times
Thanks bart0323,

I went yesterday for the root canal (tooth # 7). She started, and I go back next week for the final visit. Amazing how the antibiotics help reduce the pain. I'm thrilled about that.

Another question. Tooth # 10 is darkening. She mentioned that I will also need a root canal on that one.

Is it really possible to diagnose just by looking at a tooth???

Old 12-06-2019, 04:22 PM

57 posts, read 12,171 times
Had a root canal performed on one of my teeth many years ago. Heat was my trigger. Dentist said that pulp in tooth (nerve and blood vessel) were decaying and building up pressure on remaining nerve, causing extreme pain. Heat aggravated it even more. No, at this stage the tooth needs to be opened up and the nerve (what's left of it) removed, it's pretty much shot. They'll drill out/enlarge the root canals and fill them with something that resembles pencil leads (maybe these days they use something different). Then maybe a filling or a crown. I have had my crown for 3.5 decades and at last exam, dentist said it was doing fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or