Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 10:09 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times

Advertisements

Retired and looking at dental plans. They don`t seem to cover very much. Anyone recommend plans, or is it better too just private pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2019, 04:36 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Retired and looking at dental plans. They don`t seem to cover very much. Anyone recommend plans, or is it better too just private pay?
My opinion = not worth it. My husband has "dental" insurance through work, but it is practically worthless. It covers very little, you can't pick your dentist, and anything like implants or services other than basic cleanings and Xrays are usually not covered.

I would rather pick a really good dentist of my own choosing than go to some of the ones on these "discount plans." We have had some really bad work done by the discount dentists. Some of the dentists not on the plan wiil work with you and may even offer discounts for cash instead of credit.

Old 12-02-2019, 05:12 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
This question comes up periodically; I agree with the poster above. I didn't buy it when I retired. Nearly every plan seems to restrict benefits for the first 6 months to one year, some to cleaning only. I understand that they don't want people going without insurance and then signing up when they develop expensive problems, but for those of us who have been insured and were getting regular care it's a big drawback.

They all have annual limits on what they'll pay, too, typically $1,500. So even if they cover a % of major work you'll max that out quickly.

FWIW, my dentist, who's really good, liked Delta Dental, but for the reason above I chose to "go bare".

Old 12-02-2019, 10:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Both my wife and I have the same plan through our employers and are on each other's, so we have double coverage. In the case of an implant with the extraction and bone graft, at $4,000 the insurance is a huge help. I pay $6/month, but the same premium plan bought as an individual would cost $52/month here. Other less comprehensive plans start at $26/month for individual, $122 for family. Crowns, extractions and root canals are paid at 50%. Just one root canal would justify the monthly cost. My dentist is good at planning, getting anything that might go south in the near future fixed while we're still working and have the good insurance. Most of that is old fillings from my teen years that are not holding up.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:21 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
My opinion = not worth it. My husband has "dental" insurance through work, but it is practically worthless. It covers very little, you can't pick your dentist, and anything like implants or services other than basic cleanings and Xrays are usually not covered.

I would rather pick a really good dentist of my own choosing than go to some of the ones on these "discount plans." We have had some really bad work done by the discount dentists. Some of the dentists not on the plan wiil work with you and may even offer discounts for cash instead of credit.
Well, so much depends on the plan. I am also retired and also have dental coverage through an employer plan. I CAN pick my dentist. The percentage they might cover for a particular provider varies, but the decision to go here or there is mine. The plan covers different percentages depending on what the service is. It's not the same coverage as for medical but it is better than a swift kick in the chops.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:13 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 12-03-2019, 07:42 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Like all insurance, the real value is the low low prices negotiated by the insurance carrier.

This was a super low end policy I got through Obamacare- it's the same company that insures Medicaid. So the reimbursement rates are very low. It was hard to find a dentist that took that plan but I finally found a great one out in the exurbs.

For re-setting a crown the rate was something like $40 as opposed to $125 retail. I will confess I kicked in a little under the table.

My latest challenge is I need an apioectomy. Which is $580 at my favorite dental school. But apparently $3-400 at a local oral surgeon. If I can find one to take my plan. I'm wondering if that is too good to be true.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:49 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Find a plan that has your dentist in-network. Most plans have search tools you can use before you apply for coverage.

Old 12-18-2019, 08:11 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
My experience has been that if you are an employee of a large company that has a good policy, you will have decent choices to select a suitable dentist and the coverage will be decent but mostly cover the less expensive procedures with all maintenance visits fully covered.

When finding your own insurance as an individual or family, it will hardly be worth it and cover only 80% of maintenance visits with very small percentages of crowns, filling or other major work. You will be hard pressed to find dentists who accept the lower tier insurance and quite often, they opt out of these plans once their practice grows. Personally I found it less expensive to find a good dentist and to pay as needed.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:13 PM

572 posts, read 324,861 times
If you cannot find the insurance that cover major treatments then there is no need for it. Usually for older people the range of insurance is always low because they know that there will be costly treatments in old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health