U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2019, 04:43 PM
 
8,316 posts, read 10,251,993 times
Reputation: 15318

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
It’s not just about the doctor; it’s also about you as a patient having the right to accept or reject the x-ray after being informed of the benefits and risks.

And the OP did reject; as was his right. But that doesn't make the dentist wrong for saying they were needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2019, 04:49 PM
 
508 posts, read 65,297 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
And the OP did reject; as was his right. But that doesn't make the dentist wrong for saying they were needed.
It sure doesn't. It's just that this was a teaching hospital so I can see why they'd like to do more x-rays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2019, 05:01 PM
 
1,541 posts, read 1,844,690 times
Reputation: 2354
I'm just saying that medical care is not like a lunch buffet where you pick and choose what you want. The doctor offers you options and you choose from those options. Or go elsewhere to find your dream practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2019, 05:07 PM
 
508 posts, read 65,297 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I'm just saying that medical care is not like a lunch buffet where you pick and choose what you want. The doctor offers you options and you choose from those options. Or go elsewhere to find your dream practice.
A teaching hospital is probably the last place you'd find a dream practice. Buyer beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2019, 07:20 AM
 
1,552 posts, read 1,829,528 times
Reputation: 2107
Dentists do too many x-rays and dental x-rays may pose a risk for brain tumors. If there is a dental issue that can't be figured out without an x-ray, doing an x-ray seems reasonable. Doing x-rays annually, when no dental issue is present, seems excessive, when the radiation could cause a different health issue.



You want to limit your exposure to radiation as much as possible. Deciding to go elsewhere for care so that you are not a guinea pig for teaching hospital interns and residents to look at 18 xrays, is a good choice.



https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...se-cancer.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2019, 11:14 AM
 
604 posts, read 473,972 times
Reputation: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Dentists do too many x-rays and dental x-rays may pose a risk for brain tumors. If there is a dental issue that can't be figured out without an x-ray, doing an x-ray seems reasonable. Doing x-rays annually, when no dental issue is present, seems excessive, when the radiation could cause a different health issue.



You want to limit your exposure to radiation as much as possible. Deciding to go elsewhere for care so that you are not a guinea pig for teaching hospital interns and residents to look at 18 xrays, is a good choice.



https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...se-cancer.html
How do you know there is no dental issue present if you do not take an x-ray?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2019, 06:29 PM
 
1,552 posts, read 1,829,528 times
Reputation: 2107
No pain elsewhere and the problem tooth was identified with a couple x rays. A good dentist will look in the mouth and can find the issue without an xray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2019, 08:12 PM
 
1,541 posts, read 1,844,690 times
Reputation: 2354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
No pain elsewhere and the problem tooth was identified with a couple x rays. A good dentist will look in the mouth and can find the issue without an xray.

C'mon, Bart0323...everyone knows if there is no pain then there is no probem!

My internist thought my chest pain could be cardiac. He tried to put his stethoscope on me but I swatted his hand away and told him he should be able to just look at me and find the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2019, 12:53 AM
 
508 posts, read 65,297 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
C'mon, Bart0323...everyone knows if there is no pain then there is no probem!

My internist thought my chest pain could be cardiac. He tried to put his stethoscope on me but I swatted his hand away and told him he should be able to just look at me and find the issue.
Except a stethoscope is a non-invasive instrument that stays on the outside of the body and doesn't emit harmful radiation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2019, 07:50 AM
 
604 posts, read 473,972 times
Reputation: 1017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
A good dentist will look in the mouth and can find the issue without an xray.
Would you please go to my dental school and tell this to all my professors? They would love to know that we've been doing it wrong all these decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top