U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 11:00 AM

604 posts, read 473,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
A teaching hospital is probably the last place you'd find a dream practice. Buyer beware!
Actually the quality of care in a teaching institute is very high. The patient is cared for by not only the student, but his/her supervising resident and also the supervising attending. 3 different brains/sets of eyes all concentrating on you. As most people know, the price is also much less than what you would generally pay in a private office. The tradeoff is that everything generally takes a lot longer compared to a private practice.

You can have things good, cheap, and fast as long as you pick two.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 06:59 PM

507 posts, read 65,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Actually the quality of care in a teaching institute is very high. The patient is cared for by not only the student, but his/her supervising resident and also the supervising attending. 3 different brains/sets of eyes all concentrating on you. As most people know, the price is also much less than what you would generally pay in a private office. The tradeoff is that everything generally takes a lot longer compared to a private practice.
I can see the advantages of going to such a place for the indigent with plenty of time on their hands who don't mind being poked and prodded and tested.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I can see the advantages of going to such a place for the indigent with plenty of time on their hands who don't mind being poked and prodded and tested.
Such ignorance. Some of the richest patients I worked on were while I was a resident. CEOs/owners of small-medium businesses. Would get $40K worth of implants for half that price. How to you think they managed to stay rich?

I did way more "big" implants cases as a resident. Those people were not indigent at all. Mostly just average, college-educated folks looking to save some money and willing to sacrifice the time to do so.

80% of the implant cases I do these days in private practice are 1-2 teeth cases. The ones I see who need the whole mouth done want everything done right away with the best materials, but for a rock bottom price. Doesn't work that way.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Such ignorance. Some of the richest patients I worked on were while I was a resident. CEOs/owners of small-medium businesses. Would get $40K worth of implants for half that price. How to you think they managed to stay rich?
Of course there's a place for saving a buck by treating your body like a car where you get quotes on services needed and go with the lowest price. I know plenty of people who don't think twice about going to Mexico or Thailand to get good medical care for a fraction of what it costs in the U.S.

Quote:
80% of the implant cases I do these days in private practice are 1-2 teeth cases. The ones I see who need the whole mouth done want everything done right away with the best materials, but for a rock bottom price. Doesn't work that way.
I'm sure it doesn't! But you can't blame them for trying.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:32 PM

575 posts, read 393,524 times
there was an old radio show where the dentist had a home office and was killing the relative with an xray machine

Old 01-08-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Of course there's a place for saving a buck by treating your body like a car where you get quotes on services needed and go with the lowest price. I know plenty of people who don't think twice about going to Mexico or Thailand to get good medical care for a fraction of what it costs in the U.S.
About Mexico and Thailand, I agree with your earlier statement about "buyer beware". In regards to a teaching hospital, however, you are assuming two things:

1) Only the indigent go there. This could not be more wrong. Virtually every major hospital in a major city is a teaching hospital. They are all partially staffed by students being supervised by interns being supervised by residents who are under the supervision of attendings. If you have ever been to an emergency room or been admitted to a hospital, odds are you have been seen/treated by a resident and not even realized it. I hate to disappoint you, but if you get in a car accident in the middle of the night, the trauma team that will treat you are all residents. I'm not one to usually use TV and movies as evidence, but watch the 1990s show "ER". It is VERY accurate in its depictions.

2) The quality of care in a teaching hospital cannot be equivalent to that of a private practice. Again, 100% wrong. Do you believe Mass General Hospital is known for it's poor quality of care? What about Johns Hopkins Hospital? Spoiler - they are both teaching hospitals. Students/residents don't learn from the best by doing rotations in 5-bed clinics located in Podunk, USA.

Last edited by bart0323; 01-08-2020 at 10:38 AM..

Old 01-08-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
About Mexico and Thailand, I agree with your earlier statement about "buyer beware".
*Shrug* Buyers tend to be very aware and research the best places to go to in those countries. However, I can see why American doctors and dentists don't appreciate other countries' practitioners taking a cut from their income and would try to downplay the advantages.

Quote:
In regards to a teaching hospital, however, you are assuming two things:

1) Only the indigent go there. This could not be more wrong. Virtually every major hospital in a major city is a teaching hospital. They are all partially staffed by students being supervised by interns being supervised by residents who are under the supervision of attendings.
If royalty, presidents or a CEO go to a major hospital for care will even they be poked or prodded by students and interns? I find that hard to believe but I guess it's possible.

Quote:
If you have ever been to an emergency room or been admitted to a hospital, odds are you have been seen/treated by a resident and not even realized it. I hate to disappoint you, but if you get in a car accident in the middle of the night, the trauma team that will treat you are all residents. I'm not one to usually use TV and movies as evidence, but watch the 1990s show "ER". It is VERY accurate in its depictions.
This is why I try to be as cautious and safe as possible, but if fate makes me have to go to these places, oh well! At least this is one area that modern medicine excels at.

Quote:
2) The quality of care in a teaching hospital cannot be equivalent to that of a private practice. Again, 100% wrong. Do you believe Mass General Hospital is known for it's poor quality of care? What about Johns Hopkins Hospital? Spoiler - they are both teaching hospitals. Students/residents don't learn from the best by doing rotations in 5-bed clinics located in Podunk, USA.
That's great for the students, but private practices tend to offer a quieter and more healing environment and tend not to be crawling with superbugs.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:49 AM

4,965 posts, read 2,135,835 times
Quote:
*Shrug* Buyers tend to be very aware and research the best places to go to in those countries. However, I can see why American doctors and dentists don't appreciate other countries' practitioners taking a cut from their income and would try to downplay the advantages.

If royalty, presidents or a CEO go to a major hospital for care will even they be poked or prodded by students and interns? I find that hard to believe but I guess it's possible.

This is why I try to be as cautious and safe as possible, but if fate makes me have to go to these places, oh well! At least this is one area that modern medicine excels at.

That's great for the students, but private practices tend to offer a quieter and more healing environment and tend not to be crawling with superbugs.
Some of the City General hospitals are quite good. My father is a retired physician who worked at a highly ranked specialty hospital and he did some rotations at the City General Hospital. He was happy to have his surgeries there. It’s generally considered one of the best (if not the best) in the city. In other countries, many medical professors have to do fellowships in other countries. When I lived in Japan, I went to the dental hospital there and my periodontist had done a fellowship in Seattle. I tutored a physician who was a professor and he and his family were preparing to move to Toronto for two years so he could do a fellowship. My father worked with and helped hire fellows from other countries.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:

OK. I'll keep playing along.

This entire debate started because you smugly implied that teaching hospitals/institutions were merely places where the indigent go to have their bodies poked and prodded by student idiots, who do things like take a full set of x-rays for practice purposes only, and that any rational person with a modicum of income would go to a private practice, where the quality of care in would be far superior.

I rationally explained that some of the finest hospitals in the country are teaching institutions, employing some of the finest doctors in the country, and deliver care to all walks of life.

Instead of just acknowledging your misconceptions and moving on, you have decided to double down on your comments and shift the goal post, now focusing on the supposed cleanliness and better healing environment of a private practice vs a teaching hospital, conspiracy theories regarding American and foreign doctors, etc.

Incidentally, I find it amusing that you are concerned about superbugs in an OSHA-regulated US teaching hospital like Johns Hopkins, yet are perfectly content with getting a surgery done in a country where you can't drink the water.

But as you say, *Shrug*.

Old 01-11-2020, 06:56 PM

3 posts, read 150 times
This does sound like an excessive amount of x-rays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health