U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2020, 07:49 PM
 
1,541 posts, read 1,844,690 times
Reputation: 2354

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalemate44 View Post
This does sound like an excessive amount of x-rays.

How many are acceptable for this clinical presentation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2020, 08:00 PM
 
1,837 posts, read 532,025 times
Reputation: 5052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
A lack of receiving an x-ray doesn't necessarily mean a patient will be getting negligent care. And yes, doctors can accept or reject patients but ultimately it's the consumer who has the most power in the relationship. There's more of us than them.
But I bet "negligent care!!!!!111" will be the first thing the patient is screaming about if something goes wrong because the doctor didn't have full imagery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2020, 02:54 PM
 
508 posts, read 65,297 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
OK. I'll keep playing along.

This entire debate started because you smugly implied that teaching hospitals/institutions were merely places where the indigent go to have their bodies poked and prodded by student idiots, who do things like take a full set of x-rays for practice purposes only, and that any rational person with a modicum of income would go to a private practice, where the quality of care in would be far superior.
To be clear, nowhere did I say or even imply that medical students are idiots.

The debate started with your first response to OP, where you all but insulted them for criticizing the kind of care received at a teaching hospital:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Just because you don't understand something does not make the doctor a "weirdo".
Quote:
Go ahead and report the dentist to the hospital management, state dental board, the BBB, and your father's brother's cousin's former roommate. They will all look at the complaint and realize who the real "weirdo" is.
Quote:
I rationally explained that some of the finest hospitals in the country are teaching institutions, employing some of the finest doctors in the country, and deliver care to all walks of life.
People have the right to question any aspect of care they receive even in the best facilities if they didn't like it. But it's almost as if you have a professional bias that prevents you from even acknowledging this basic right of patients.

Quote:
Instead of just acknowledging your misconceptions and moving on, you have decided to double down on your comments and shift the goal post, now focusing on the supposed cleanliness and better healing environment of a private practice vs a teaching hospital, conspiracy theories regarding American and foreign doctors, etc.
"Supposed" cleanliness of private practice versus hospitals?

Quote:
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an estimated one in 25 Americans contracts a hospital-acquired nosocomial infection (HAI) each day.
Quote:
Of the 1.7 million Americans who are infected in hospitals each year, at least 99,000 of them die from those infections.
"Superbugs and Hospital-Acquired Infections (HAIs)
From hospitals to your community, superbugs are everywhere"
Verywellhealth.com/mrsa-c-diff-superbug-hospital-infections-2614867

"Coincidentally," I've never contracted any kind of infection at my doctor's private practice in all of the years I've been going there.

Quote:
Incidentally, I find it amusing that you are concerned about superbugs in an OSHA-regulated US teaching hospital like Johns Hopkins, yet are perfectly content with getting a surgery done in a country where you can't drink the water.
LOL, it's not like surgery is being done on the streets in those countries. And most people would probably rather stay in the U.S. if it weren't for the exorbitant medical and dental care costs.

(Sorry about the lack of formatting in my post. For some reason, all of a sudden I no longer have the option to use options like bolding or linking text.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2020, 02:29 PM
 
604 posts, read 473,972 times
Reputation: 1017
No problem at all with patients questioning their care - only have a problem when the patient rejects the answer because it falls outside of their preconceived notions.


Your blog reference (note: non-scientific study) does not compare the rate of nosocomial infections in hospitals to private practices. You quote some blog on one end of the argument, but then give your anecdote as the evidence for the other end of the argument. Cool story, bro.


Furthermore, you are missing the point - since your argument that teaching hospitals were places for poor people to get experimented on by students has been discredited, you have instead shifted your focus to stuff like cleanliness i.e. moving the goalpost.


BTW - I'm waiting to see your statistics on superbugs in those beautiful 3rd-world clinics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:31 PM
 
508 posts, read 65,297 times
Reputation: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
No problem at all with patients questioning their care - only have a problem when the patient rejects the answer because it falls outside of their preconceived notions.
Alluding to patients as weirdos sure sounds like you have a problem with them.

Quote:
Your blog reference (note: non-scientific study) does not compare the rate of nosocomial infections in hospitals to private practices. You quote some blog on one end of the argument, but then give your anecdote as the evidence for the other end of the argument. Cool story, bro.
It may not compare them but it's only logical that the less patients a practice has (especially ones who aren't staying there 24/7) the less its chances for having these superbugs.

If you bothered to look at the bottom of the article under "Article Sources" you'd see that its information comes from the CDC.

Also, in their About Us page it says:
"Please note that we do not accept unsolicited guest-authored articles, blogs, infographics, or posts."
Quote:
Furthermore, you are missing the point - since your argument that teaching hospitals were places for poor people to get experimented on by students has been discredited, you have instead shifted your focus to stuff like cleanliness i.e. moving the goalpost.
I never said that poor patients get experimented on by students so there's nothing to be discredited.

And many posts later, getting "3 different brains/sets of eyes all concentrating on you" and having "everything generally [taking] a lot longer compared to a private practice" still doesn't sound as good as having one or two pairs of experienced eyes concentrating on you with a shorter amount of time taken.

The goalposts may have shifted a bit, but not far from the discussion of what constitutes good dental (or medical) care.

Quote:
BTW - I'm waiting to see your statistics on superbugs in those beautiful 3rd-world clinics.
Why? If you're so interested you should look them up yourself. And many of the modern hospitals do look quite beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top