U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 10:27 PM

2 posts, read 623 times

Advertisements

Today I went today to Presbyterian Hospital in NYC for a toothache in the left top part of my mouth. I told the dentist that I dont want any xrays but convinced me to take 2. He ended up taking 3 instead. He said I had 3 cavities: 2 that didnt take root and a third that was the one giving me pain. He gave me the option for a temporary filling. He said in order for the hospital to place a permanent filling he'd have to take 18 xrays. Like who does that?? I asked why 18, why so many?? He said because since its a student facility of the hospital its to help educate dental students. Wtf is this???

I decided not to get the extra 18 xrays. I'll be going to another dentist instead.

This is the last time I'm going there. But I want to report this do immediately. He's putting unaware patients at health risk for unneeded radiation. I want to file a complaint. Where can I report him to?

Last edited by zlaer; 12-04-2019 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 10:14 AM

601 posts, read 469,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlaer View Post
Today I went today to Presbyterian Hospital in NYC for a toothache in the left top part of my mouth. I told the dentist that I dont want any xrays but convinced me to take 2. He ended up taking 3 instead. He said I had 3 cavities: 2 that didnt take root and a third that was the one giving me pain. He gave me the option for a temporary filling. He said in order for the hospital to place a permanent filling he'd have to take 18 xrays. Like who does that?? I asked why 18, why so many?? He said because since its a student facility of the hospital its to help educate dental students. Wtf is this???

I decided not to get the extra 18 xrays. I'll be going to another dentist instead.

This is the last time I'm going there. But I want to report this do immediately. He's putting unaware patients at health risk for unneeded radiation. I want to file a complaint. Where can I report him to?

Just because you don't understand something does not make the doctor a "weirdo".

A typical adult has 28-32 teeth in their mouth. A "full mouth series" of x-rays is typically 18-20 individual small x-rays. If you are a new patient and you want a complete examination, then this is standard practice. Some offices may take a panoramic x-ray (larger, goes around your head) plus four bitewing x-rays and will consider that a full-mouth series. If you are seeing a dentist for a "limited exam" i.e. one problem tooth/area, then typically the office will take an x-ray of just that area. However, if doctor chooses not to do definitive treatment on a tooth because of possible other issues in your mouth and requests a full mouth examination (visual and radiographic), then that is their prerogative.

Bottom line, if you want a dentist to check your entire mouth or do any sort of permanent, be prepared for a full set of x-rays if the dentist deems it necesary.

Go ahead and report the dentist to the hospital management, state dental board, the BBB, and your father's brother's cousin's former roommate. They will all look at the complaint and realize who the real "weirdo" is.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:19 PM

2,700 posts, read 1,431,682 times
Taking x-rays on a new patient is standard practice.

You could just do your own dentistry in a mirror at home. DIY!

Old 12-21-2019, 03:02 PM

502 posts, read 61,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlaer View Post
He said because since its a student facility of the hospital its to help educate dental students. Wtf is this???

I totally understand your concerns about x-rays; however, I don't think you can file a complaint about it because this, like many other medical procedures you may not want is considered part of normal "standard of care."

The best thing to do is to find holistic practitioners who take your desires seriously and are willing to work with you. If you can't find one, you may be able to sign some kind of waiver with a regular dentist to opt out of extra x-rays but they'll probably want to be sure you know the risks and benefits of opting out, which is a good thing.

Call ahead and ask about it before making an appointment so you don't waste time and money with dentists who insist on a lot of x-rays. Just remember that you're the employer and boss, not the other way around.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:01 PM

10,354 posts, read 6,814,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Taking x-rays on a new patient is standard practice.

You could just do your own dentistry in a mirror at home. DIY!

I've got a rusty old plyers you can borrow if you want

Old 12-24-2019, 01:45 PM

11,745 posts, read 20,983,147 times
People go to a hospital for dental care? Is this some regional thing?

Old 12-24-2019, 09:34 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,836,619 times
I had pain in my chest and this weirdo ER doc wanted to take an xray of my chest. He should be able to just give me a diagnosis without any of this newfangled technology.

Old 12-25-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I had pain in my chest and this weirdo ER doc wanted to take an xray of my chest. He should be able to just give me a diagnosis without any of this newfangled technology.
It’s not just about the doctor; it’s also about you as a patient having the right to accept or reject the x-ray after being informed of the benefits and risks.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:36 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,836,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abderian View Post
It’s not just about the doctor; it’s also about you as a patient having the right to accept or reject the x-ray after being informed of the benefits and risks.

Yes. Just like the doctor has the right to accept or reject you as a patient, outside of an emergency situation. A patient cannot consent to negligent care.

Old 12-25-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Yes. Just like the doctor has the right to accept or reject you as a patient, outside of an emergency situation. A patient cannot consent to negligent care.
A lack of receiving an x-ray doesn't necessarily mean a patient will be getting negligent care. And yes, doctors can accept or reject patients but ultimately it's the consumer who has the most power in the relationship. There's more of us than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health