U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2020, 08:01 PM

5 posts, read 246 times

Advertisements

Im 46 and have a partially impacted 3rd molar. The molar next to it had been deeply filled. It finally absessed and was pulled. Im not certain but maybe now that the second molar is gone the partially impacted tooth is more visible.

Is it possible for the tooth to want to erupt now since the molar stopping it before is now gone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 07:38 PM

2,717 posts, read 1,448,306 times
The tooth is more visible now because it's drifting forward to fill in the space where the other tooth was extracted. This is called mesial drift. You can watch a video of how it happens here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtpA...=youtu.be&t=35

When a tooth drifts forward like that, it won't sit straight, it'll be tilted forward like you see in the video....your wisdom tooth won't completely erupt nice and straight like a normal tooth.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 246 times
It has certainly become more visible but it hasnt come out of the gums... i dont know if i should put myself thru a surgical extraction now or see if it comes out enough where they can get it without cutting bones and gum.

I figured i wad past the window of it wanting to move but i have cleared its path.... perhaps.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:53 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,168,862 times
I'm 45 and still have both my third molars on the bottom; I never had any on top. One decided to partially erupt when I was 33. It was pretty annoying, but not overly painful. My dentist warned me that it could abscess if I kept it, but I decided to go with the wait and see approach. It's now more than halfway erupted and I don't even notice it anymore. The other one is still dormant.

My husband had a fully erupted third molar pulled without being put under (just numbed) and it was quick, easy, and painless. He was about 30 at the time.

Old Today, 12:09 PM

5 posts, read 246 times
Do you think waiting and allowing it to erupt further would make extraction easier? Its still below gum but becoming more visible than it was just a few months ago.

Old Today, 03:14 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,168,862 times
It would make it easier--just have to ensure it doesn't abscess or affect the other molars. We never had issues with our other molars when our third ones came in. Our dentist took bitewing xrays as well and we were in the clear when our third ones decided to erupt.

Old Today, 03:54 PM

2,717 posts, read 1,448,306 times
Does your dentist want to extract it? If not, just leave it alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or