U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 10:34 AM

19 posts, read 5,936 times

Advertisements

Im trying to find a new dentist that does surgical extractions. Its been tough as most general dentists here refer the patients to an oral surgeon. In my case its a partially impacted wisdom tooth. Its not hurting at the moment but I fear it could and I wouldnt be able to get it removed in an emergency situation.

What happens when someone is in in pain and in an emergency goes to a general dentist but has to have to be refereed to someone else?

Does the general dentist get the patient out of pain or just sends them on their way?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 02:36 PM

12,763 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Maybe you should ask a local general dentist what they would do for this patient.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:45 PM

46 posts, read 24,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buibo View Post
Im trying to find a new dentist that does surgical extractions. Its been tough as most general dentists here refer the patients to an oral surgeon. In my case its a partially impacted wisdom tooth.
It seems that general dentists usually do not want to extract wisdom tooth (unless it is an easy case). You have to pay more for an oral surgeon.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:31 AM

615 posts, read 602,096 times
Why do you not want to go to an oral surgeon?

Old 01-22-2020, 06:14 PM

19 posts, read 5,936 times
Im thinking in emergency situation i wouldnt be able to get appoinment quickly since i am not an established patient. Also finding one in my insurance network has been a challenge.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:55 PM

6,559 posts, read 3,019,423 times
Quote:
Im thinking in emergency situation i wouldnt be able to get appoinment quickly since i am not an established patient. Also finding one in my insurance network has been a challenge.
Why don’t you go to a general dentist and get a referral now that you aren’t in imminent pain? It is not like the tooth is going to get better. I had an erupted wisdom tooth and there was no room for it in my mouth. It was causing issues digging into my mouth and gums. It made sense to get it out BEFORE I had an infection, not after. The general dentist should be able to work with you to know which surgeons will take your insurance. The wait times are often less than just calling off the street as well.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:00 AM

4,339 posts, read 1,898,706 times
Quote:
I'm thinking in emergency situation I wouldn't be able to get appointment quickly since I am not an established patient. Also finding one in my insurance network has been a challenge.
Few people are "established patients" of an oral surgeon- hopefully you don't need one except every few years!

In early 2018 I thought I had a problem in one tooth- my dentist is a very good diagnostician and finally, after taking 3 or 4 X-Rays from different angles, he thought he saw a problem that required a root canal. He has an endodontist he trusts- it's a group practice but he prefers one guy to all the others in the practice. I was leaving the country on a 3-week trip in less than a week. I'd last seen that endodontist 5+ years ago but, with a referral from my dentist, he got me in for a 7 AM appointment within a couple of days. And yes, it WAS a mess that needed a root canal. The issue of finding one in your network may make it more difficult, but your regular dentist should be able to help.

And try to get attention for this before it turns into an emergency. I ignored pain in another tooth years ago and had some of the worst pain I've ever experienced overnight after taking a transatlantic flight to Budapest. Even pills from DH's stash of opioids didn't help. It was an abscess, the tooth had already been root-canalled and so it was extracted in a dental clinic in Budapest.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 AM

37,913 posts, read 17,750,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
And try to get attention for this before it turns into an emergency. I ignored pain in another tooth years ago and had some of the worst pain I've ever experienced overnight after taking a transatlantic flight to Budapest. Even pills from DH's stash of opioids didn't help. It was an abscess, the tooth had already been root-canalled and so it was extracted in a dental clinic in Budapest.
That happened to me too, we had tickets to fly to France in 3 days when I got an abscess in a molar, I know what they feel like and you can get a pretty good idea of whether or not it's an abscess by tapping on the tooth. I called my dentist he told me to come see him when we got home from our trip. I tried to find an endodontist but couldn't get an appt. to see one on short notice. Then I remembered that the last time I had an abscess the dentist gave me antibiotics and the pain went away (temporarily of course). I couldn't find anyone to prescribe antibiotics so I went to the aquarium store and bought a bottle of "fish mox" (amoxicillin) By the time we left for France there was no pain. When we got home I found a new, more helpful dentist, and had a root canal.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:32 AM

4,339 posts, read 1,898,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I couldn't find anyone to prescribe antibiotics so I went to the aquarium store and bought a bottle of "fish mox" (amoxicillin).
I first read of that maybe 15 years ago on another, now-defunct board. The poster was almost apologetic- she had a tendency to get sinus infections, she knew what the signs were and since she didn't have a lot of money she avoided the "gatekeeper" cost by getting her antibiotics at an aquatic supply store. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:21 PM

1,572 posts, read 2,107,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart0323 View Post
Why do you not want to go to an oral surgeon?

Those guys are crooks....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health