U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2020, 01:03 PM

696 posts, read 291,255 times

Advertisements

I am having all four wisdom teeth out on Monday. I am very on-edge about the recovery period, but my main question is this -- how soon after this procedure would I be recovered enough to go on a job interview?

This is really the perfect storm for me, because I'd rather just spend a few days focusing on my recovery, however it may become necessary to have the interview ASAP or risk losing a good opportunity. I won't know for a few more days.

Any thoughts from people who've been through this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 02:53 PM

12,763 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I am having all four wisdom teeth out on Monday. I am very on-edge about the recovery period, but my main question is this -- how soon after this procedure would I be recovered enough to go on a job interview?

This is really the perfect storm for me, because I'd rather just spend a few days focusing on my recovery, however it may become necessary to have the interview ASAP or risk losing a good opportunity. I won't know for a few more days.

Any thoughts from people who've been through this?
I haven't but know several people who did as adults. The time varied but on average seemed like 3-4 days, OK in a week. How difficult the teeth were to remove (crooked growth, impacted) mattered. Ask your surgeon what he expects based on your particular situation. If the interview does come up I'd go, but explain why you might be a bit less than your usual self. Maybe plan a simple and witty remark about it ahead of time. Mention it and drop it. Remember, they chose to interview you based on your merits. A dental procedure won't change any of that.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Remember, they chose to interview you based on your merits. A dental procedure won't change any of that.
I totally get that. My concern is more with how the surgery affects my ability to speak normally. I can handle an interview if my face is still swollen or my jaw still sore, but not if they can't understand what I'm saying!

Old 02-23-2020, 11:10 AM

11,443 posts, read 399,918 times
I do wish ya luck my friend.... When I had mine out it seemed like it took many weeks for the pain to stop....... I could still talk ok......

I hope you can make your interview -- Good luck

Old 02-24-2020, 04:40 PM

811 posts, read 241,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I totally get that. My concern is more with how the surgery affects my ability to speak normally. I can handle an interview if my face is still swollen or my jaw still sore, but not if they can't understand what I'm saying!
Your wisdom teeth (or the spaces that used to house them) have no impact on your speaking ability (or lack thereof). You'll have the packing out before bedtime on the day of the surgery and you'll be sore the next couple of days. It might be difficult to move your jaw to pronounce things like "donut" and "shazam" without being sore, but not impossible.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:44 PM

I had the procedure done this morning, and I'm doing okay so far. Swelling is minimal, and I find that my jaw doesn't hurt at all if I clench my teeth (though it hurts like a bear otherwise!). No problems talking either, just a lot more bleeding than I'd have expected.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:24 AM

11,443 posts, read 399,918 times
I hope it all clears up for ya quickly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health