U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2020, 02:16 AM

6 posts, read 1,201 times

Advertisements

Feeling quite upset with my own teeth lately.

I got a root canal done by an endodontist in December 2019 after experiencing pain in gum when I'm using waterpik and just a general pain feeling around that area. The root canal treat went fine. Just that during the last treatment, when he flush the canal/drying the canal with paper points, it hurts and I cried. Endodontist reassure me that is normal, the flushing agent just escape the canal through the Apex and the paper points cause moving fluid.

I'm gonna get this crowning on for this RCT (1st upper left molar) next month. 2 weeks back when my dentist tapped on that tooth, it still hurt so he wish for it to settle down first before crowning. He did cold test and biting test on this RCT tooth, no problem at all. I'm able to chew with it too, just not too tough meat or bread. It still feel tender and little pain when I press on it too. Why is that so even when everything seems fine on the x-ray? Really afraid that it's gonna be another failed root canal. I spent SGD1800 for the root canal and gonna spend another SGD1800 for crowning.. Dentist did told me that any root canal tooth is just buying time to avoid extraction, ultimately, in many years, extraction will still be required.

Also, I have another problem. Upper left 2nd molar, right behind the RCT tooth was been refilled with composite filling in October 2019 by my previous dentist. It was a deep filling that was close to the nerve, she told me to go back to her if it hurts, so I guess it means that I might end up needing a root canal for that tooth.

The tooth felt okay after filling (wasn't given any numbing during refilling as dentist thought that it's just a small filling, however it turns out to be quite deep), no pain afterwards once dentist patch it up with filling. However, I did experience some pressure pain in that tooth few days after filling.. it only happens whenever I put in my clear retainer. Therefore I went back to my dentist and she shaved down the tooth a little around the edge to fit my retainer properly. Afterwards no issues and I got a root canal on upper left 1st molar during December 2019 as per mentioned above.

Went to a new dentist in January 2020 for dental implant consultation and crowning of root canal tooth. Took an x-ray and dentist found out that I'm having decay under the recent refilled tooth (upper left 2nd molar). He mentioned that he could access to that tooth from the side and try to remove the decay during the procedure of shaving down 1st molar in preparation for crowning. While waiting for crowning appointment (March 2020), upper left 2nd molar start to have the achy, pressure and weird feeling again. Went back to this new dentist, took another bitewing x-ray, did some test on that tooth. He tapped on the 2nd molar, no pain. He did biting stick test and cold spray test, all okay. No abnormal symptoms. So he did the same test to the root canal tooth as he say it might be referred pain. Cold spray test and biting test all okay for that RCT tooth but when he tap on that RCT tooth, it still hurt. So he gave me three options.

1) Wait and see for 2nd molar as it pass all the test be did. He is afraid that if be reopen up the filling to remove the decay under it, it might ended up needing a root canal instead. He want to make sure I settle my RCT tooth and be sure that the pain was not coming from RCT tooth before we move on to 2nd molar.

2) Straight away go for root canal treatment for 2nd molar, which he don't recommend as I don't have any gum swelling or throbbing pain. However, I forgot to mention to him that I did experience gum bleeding around that tooth whenever j brush or waterpik it few weeks back.

3) He can reopen up the whole filling and clean out those decay and refill it. Once there's expose nerve, he will need to do a root canal or if it start hurting real bad after the filling, I will need a root canal too.

Couldn't decide so he strongly recommend me options 1.

Some history for this upper 2nd molar: the first time I had a filling for this tooth was not due to decay. I accidentally bite into a clam shell while eating seafood pasta, part if the cusp broke off so I had a silver filling that lasted me 3 or 4 years before my previous dentist insist on refilling it with a composite filling as she say that the old filling was leaking. I didn't want to refill it at first as I know most tooth will start to die off once it has been refilled as it will get closer to the nerve. Dentist mentioned that luckily she refill it as there's decay under the filling. But still... I don't know why there's still decay under the new filling.

Just need some advise, do you think this upper left 2nd molar will be able to be saved if my new dentist refilled it next month? Or that the decay is too near to the tooth that I will still ended up needing a root canal?

Thinking of extraction instead of root canal as I'm afraid that root canal will fail. Root canal tooth really doesn't feel "normal". It feels so hollow. But I can't afford to lost another tooth. I'm chewing on my left side instead of right as I'm missing my first lower molar in my right side due to a failed root canal. Will get an implant on that side this year tho.

I have attached the xray for my upper left both molar for reference.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6963P50
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or