U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 11:33 PM

6 posts, read 1,200 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just had my upper left 1st molar prep for permanent zirconia crown yesterday. I had a root canal done on that tooth back in mid December 2019 by an endodontis.

My general dentist told me before the procedure that we didn't need a temporary crown for my case as even if I avoid chewing on that tooth, whenever I bite together, he is afraid that I might add unnecessary pressure to that temporary crown and tooth. This is my first time hearing someone going around two weeks without temporary crown, I'm just curious did anyone ever experience the same thing too.

I didn't feel any pain, yet. Since it's a root canal too. It's just that the gum around that tooth is red, tender and sore as well as it seems a little swollen. Prior to the procedure of shaving down the tooth yesterday, it was fine. I chew just fine on that root canal tooth even without a crown. Just maybe not tough meat. But bread is fine.

Prior to yesterday, that tooth is always a little sensitive to flossing and tapping. That was why my general dentist didn't want to do a crown just yet as he want that tooth to settle down first. He did informed me that root canal tooth is not gonna be 100% success rate and that it won't last a life time as there is no way of cleaning out all the bacteria 100% as we have tiny tubules in all our tooth. He mentioned that root canal is just buying us some time to save up for denture or dental implant.

He's quite a famous dentist in my country therefore I didn't really judge his decision at that point of time when he mention that I don't need a temporary crown. But once I'm back at home, my curiosity kills me.

I tried to search online, there's very little information about it. Tried asking around too, everyone was saying it's not normal. That the dentist might just want to save time by not doing it or that some dentist have their own way of doing things.

I don't know what to expect for this two weeks without temporary crown, yes it's comfortable without it as I don't need to worry of it falling off and accidentally swallowing it at night while I'm sleeping or while I'm eating or when I'm talking to a guest while working (I work in a hotel).

But I'm afraid that any bacteria or sugar that I ate over this two weeks will cause permanent damage to that tooth. I'm eating porridge using the other side of my mouth to chew, but you know, sometimes food will just move over to the other side. Really want to eat some normal food soon. Can't chew bread or rice using my rice side as I'm missing my lower 1st molar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or