Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 01:06 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,168 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 30s and I've been needing a gum graft for the past few years. I think it may be genetics and or grinding for me to require a gum graft this young. I used to eat a lot of candy as a kid but I've been pretty good about taking care of my teeth in my adulthood by exercising, eating well, taking vitamins, flossing after every meal, etc. but it's still pretty bad. I got a night guard to hopefully help with this, I use an electronic toothbrush on the sensitive setting for my gums, and I have a special toothpaste and mouthwash. I did get scaling done recently. Those are all just to prevent my gums from further receding, but the damage is already done and I know gums can't grow back. I was told my entire mouth could use a gum graft but my bottom teeth are more serious and I should probably get one in the next year or so. The dentist told me I could use a protective sealant that could help prevent further recession but this is only a temporary fix, good for 2 to 3 years.

The estimate for my entire mouth is, I believe, around $10-$15K. I think the area that needs more immediate attention is around $5K. I've had two different insurance companies and I don't understand why they wouldn't cover any of it. I've tried to find other insurance but it's murky on whether they will provide coverage or not. They usually will want to see pictures and I think even if they cover it, I need to be on it for at least a year for them to provide coverage. I tried asking the local dental school and they said they would need to see it first but because of COVID, they won't be taking new patients until further notice. I thought about going to another country to get this done but I'm not sure where I would go and with the current situation, I can't go anyway. I think my best bet is to use my HSA and suck it up and pay the rest out of pocket. Maybe even sign up for those credit cards with bonuses to try and get some money back. I don't have other responsibilities right now, ie: kids, etc. so it's probably the best time to do it. Just wanted to check here first to see if anybody has any other ideas on other options I have on paying for my gum graft?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 12:57 AM

1,350 posts, read 818,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
I'm in my early 30s and I've been needing a gum graft for the past few years. I think it may be genetics and or grinding for me to require a gum graft this young. I used to eat a lot of candy as a kid but I've been pretty good about taking care of my teeth in my adulthood by exercising, eating well, taking vitamins, flossing after every meal, etc. but it's still pretty bad. I got a night guard to hopefully help with this, I use an electronic toothbrush on the sensitive setting for my gums, and I have a special toothpaste and mouthwash. I did get scaling done recently. Those are all just to prevent my gums from further receding, but the damage is already done and I know gums can't grow back. I was told my entire mouth could use a gum graft but my bottom teeth are more serious and I should probably get one in the next year or so. The dentist told me I could use a protective sealant that could help prevent further recession but this is only a temporary fix, good for 2 to 3 years.

The estimate for my entire mouth is, I believe, around $10-$15K. I think the area that needs more immediate attention is around $5K. I've had two different insurance companies and I don't understand why they wouldn't cover any of it. I've tried to find other insurance but it's murky on whether they will provide coverage or not. They usually will want to see pictures and I think even if they cover it, I need to be on it for at least a year for them to provide coverage. I tried asking the local dental school and they said they would need to see it first but because of COVID, they won't be taking new patients until further notice. I thought about going to another country to get this done but I'm not sure where I would go and with the current situation, I can't go anyway. I think my best bet is to use my HSA and suck it up and pay the rest out of pocket. Maybe even sign up for those credit cards with bonuses to try and get some money back. I don't have other responsibilities right now, ie: kids, etc. so it's probably the best time to do it. Just wanted to check here first to see if anybody has any other ideas on other options I have on paying for my gum graft?
Your dentist has contacted your insurance and tried to work with them? Sometimes the dentist can submit a letter, x-rays, etc, of why this is medically necessary... etc.

If insurance absolutely won't pay, can you let your dentist know this, and ask them could they please give you a discount? Never hurts to ask.

Also, I am needing a gum scaling/root planing soon. How was it, does it hurt a lot? Can you do it in 2 visits (half a mouth each visit)? Thanks for the info.

Old 07-20-2020, 04:07 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
They are expensive. The best way to do it is to put your money in a health savings or flexible savings account for it, because you’ll at least get the tax break. I had two about 8-9 years ago and I think it was $3k just for the 2. I did one one year and one the next.

Old 07-20-2020, 06:22 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,807 times
Dental insurance is pretty useless for major work- typically they put a limit on what they'll pay in an entire year for everything and it's $1,500-$2,000 so even if you had no other work done it would cover only a fraction. Most policies also exclude just about anything but cleaning the first 6 months to a year.

I hope it all works out for you.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:44 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Your dentist has contacted your insurance and tried to work with them? Sometimes the dentist can submit a letter, x-rays, etc, of why this is medically necessary... etc.

If insurance absolutely won't pay, can you let your dentist know this, and ask them could they please give you a discount? Never hurts to ask.

Also, I am needing a gum scaling/root planing soon. How was it, does it hurt a lot? Can you do it in 2 visits (half a mouth each visit)? Thanks for the info.
I just called my insurance to ask why it wasn't covered and they said there were multiple estimates and the latest one said it actually is covered but only up to $1,500. I should be getting another letter in the mail about the coverage since it was done just last week. Combined with my HSA, the rest shouldn't be too bad.

The gum scaling didn't hurt too badly, it was just uncomfortable and your gums will be sensitive for about a week. Yes, you can split it up and do half your mouth per visit so you can at least eat on one side. It can be a little time consuming though. I think it took about 1.5-2 hours per side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
They are expensive. The best way to do it is to put your money in a health savings or flexible savings account for it, because you’ll at least get the tax break. I had two about 8-9 years ago and I think it was $3k just for the 2. I did one one year and one the next.
That's a good call about the tax break. I forgot about that. I'll go ahead and max out my HSA before getting the procedure done. I'll call my periodontist and see if they can split it up so I can do half this year and half the next.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Hi, OP I've followed your post and wanted to offer my experience and my words were moved to Alternative Medicine...maybe you want to check it out.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:02 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Hi, OP I've followed your post and wanted to offer my experience and my words were moved to Alternative Medicine...maybe you want to check it out.
Will grape seed extract fix the current gum problems or only prevent future gum receding?

Old 08-02-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Will grape seed extract fix the current gum problems or only prevent future gum receding?
Read my info and do some search S.B. I've posted a lot about what has "fixed" my issues....here in Dental Health and also Alt Med.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:30 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,484,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Read my info and do some search S.B. I've posted a lot about what has "fixed" my issues....here in Dental Health and also Alt Med.
I take many supps and I floss, brush, waterpick, rinse daily with hydrogen peroxide and I still have gum issues. The only thing I don't do is oil pull because I'd vomit if I swished oil in my mouth for a few minutes each day. Sad that you won't tell me since you have already done much searching.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I take many supps and I floss, brush, waterpick, rinse daily with hydrogen peroxide and I still have gum issues. The only thing I don't do is oil pull because I'd vomit if I swished oil in my mouth for a few minutes each day. Sad that you won't tell me since you have already done much searching.
Sad??? I've posted so much on this antioxidant and my own very healthy gums in this forum and Alt Med as I said. You say you take many supps, do you take the one I preach about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health