U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2020, 03:03 PM
 
31 posts, read 12,493 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

I’ve been having a dull ache in my root canal/jaw for about a month now but there’s no sign of infection in the x Ray. I’ve had this root canal for two years now and when I tap on it it feels a little sensitive but I’m not sensitive to hot or cold sensations. My dentist says it could be a fracture not shown on the X-ray. So I left it to see and now I’ve developed weird shorting crawling burning sensations in my head about two weeks later. When I lay down it’s a million times worse. Like my whole head and neck have a phantom pain if I can even call that. PAIN MEDS DONT WORK. I’m wondering if this is my root canal Because I do have really really dull jaw pain. Have you guys ever had weird symptoms? It’s been a month and half now and it’s not going away. It feels like I have physical anxiety symptoms. I feel nervous for no reason. My toothache didn’t go into full blown throbbing can't eat. There is a dull ache when I eat on it but again dentist says no infection there. It’s just dull pain in jaw and gums around that tooth. Now my neck is really hurting. What do I do?

Last edited by DMARXX; 06-05-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2020, 05:37 PM
 
Location: on the wind
12,763 posts, read 6,277,227 times
Reputation: 42012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMARXX View Post
I’ve been having a dull ache in my root canal/jaw for about a month now but there’s no sign of infection in the x Ray. I’ve had this root canal for two years now and when I tap on it it feels a little sensitive but I’m not sensitive to hot or cold sensations. My dentist says it could be a fracture not shown on the X-ray. So I left it to see and now I’ve developed weird shorting crawling burning sensations in my head about two weeks later. When I lay down it’s a million times worse. Like my whole head and neck have a phantom pain if I can even call that. PAIN MEDS DONT WORK. I’m wondering if this is my root canal Because I do have really really dull jaw pain. Have you guys ever had weird symptoms? It’s been a month and half now and it’s not going away. It feels like I have physical anxiety symptoms. I feel nervous for no reason. My toothache didn’t go into full blown throbbing can't eat. There is a dull ache when I eat on it but again dentist says no infection there. It’s just dull pain in jaw and gums around that tooth. Now my neck is really hurting. What do I do?
When did you last speak to your dentist? If the symptoms seem to be progressing, update him(her)!

Another thing to consider. You are obviously very hyperfocused and anxious about this. The anxiety is probably compounding the problem. It is possible that you are so focused on every sensation in that tooth (sort of waiting for or expecting something to be wrong) you are unconsciously tensing up the muscles in your jaw and neck, creating some of that pain for yourself. You can create pain when nothing is actually wrong. You might look at stretches and relaxation techniques used to help relieve TMJ symptoms. Tooth pain, jaw pain, face pain, headaches, neck pain, even shoulder pain...they can all be connected. Sites with ideas:

https://www.michiganheadandneck.com/.../#.XtrIlhpKg2w

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20350945

I've dealt with TMJ. These suggestions can really help!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-05-2020 at 06:28 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2020, 07:01 PM
 
31 posts, read 12,493 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
When did you last speak to your dentist? If the symptoms seem to be progressing, update him(her)!

Another thing to consider. You are obviously very hyperfocused and anxious about this. The anxiety is probably compounding the problem. It is possible that you are so focused on every sensation in that tooth (sort of waiting for or expecting something to be wrong) you are unconsciously tensing up the muscles in your jaw and neck, creating some of that pain for yourself. You can create pain when nothing is actually wrong. You might look at stretches and relaxation techniques used to help relieve TMJ symptoms. Tooth pain, jaw pain, face pain, headaches, neck pain, even shoulder pain...they can all be connected. Sites with ideas:

https://www.michiganheadandneck.com/.../#.XtrIlhpKg2w

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/drc-20350945

I've dealt with TMJ. These suggestions can really help!
I have talked to my dentist about this condition. I asked her if my headaches could be the result of my root canal and she said it could be. Thing is this all started after I ignored the root canal pain. It eventually went away and I thought I was done and then these headaches like my whole head is burning came and then my jaw started hurting also. Now today my neck feels like it’s on fire. did a CT scan and nothing there. Although, it does hurt a lot more under my jaw.Do you think it could be pain in my lymph nodes that are causing this? It they aren’t swollen. My question is : could tooth pain be causing all this weird feelings I’m having. I’m telling you it FEELS like physical anxiety. My body feels like it’s buzzing and my neck and head feel on fire. But when I touch them it feels normal. I don’t think it’s anxiety now that I feel pain in my neck under my jaw. Its just that sensation of anxiety and nervousness about nothing. I’m sorry I don’t think I’m making sense it’s just so hard to put into words. My doctor and dentist don’t know what’s wrong and I’ve been trying everything. Thing is it went away and now it’s back I’ve been fine for about two weeks now since taking antibiotics but now 10 days off the antibiotics and its back. My dentist said if it’s continuing to cause pain (my tooth)then to extract the tooth but I don’t want to do it for nothing. Can a small tooth be causing such misery? Thank you for the reply
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2020, 09:55 PM
 
1,357 posts, read 472,419 times
Reputation: 2604
I've had lots of root canals. Unfortunately, I had a dentist when I was 18 that solved everything with a root canal. Decades later, I am having these same root canals turn into tooth extractions!

Your jaw, head, mouth, can be sore for a long time after a root canal. Your only other choice is to have the tooth pulled. So, if you think you can live with these current sensations, and if you think it is getting even slightly better, then I would suggest waiting on pulling the tooth. Depends how you feel about extracting the tooth. For me, I try to put that off for as long as possible!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2020, 10:31 PM
 
31 posts, read 12,493 times
Reputation: 23
ive had three root canals and actually had to extract one of them due to complications. and just my luck im having problems on the root canal next to the previously extracted tooth. i really dont want to take it out but i now have a constant dull ache in my jaw that i just have a feeling is causing these symptoms with my head. Thing is i dont want to take it out and my headaches to still be there. im getting a cleaning on tuesday to see if that wlll help but i really think im going to have to pull it. what angers me is that its not turning into a full blown throbbing tooth pain. its just a dull ache for almost two months now.ill end up having to get a brige or something. but honestly id rather have no teeth than feel this pain in my head. have you ever experienced weird head neck symptoms with all your root canals that ended being pulled?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2020, 10:51 PM
 
1,357 posts, read 472,419 times
Reputation: 2604
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMARXX View Post
ive had three root canals and actually had to extract one of them due to complications. and just my luck im having problems on the root canal next to the previously extracted tooth. i really dont want to take it out but i now have a constant dull ache in my jaw that i just have a feeling is causing these symptoms with my head. Thing is i dont want to take it out and my headaches to still be there. im getting a cleaning on tuesday to see if that wlll help but i really think im going to have to pull it. what angers me is that its not turning into a full blown throbbing tooth pain. its just a dull ache for almost two months now.ill end up having to get a brige or something. but honestly id rather have no teeth than feel this pain in my head. have you ever experienced weird head neck symptoms with all your root canals that ended being pulled?
I've luckily only had one tooth pulled, but I am going to pull another one maybe the end of this year (my dentist and endodontist isn't even open yet, due to Covid). But then it's a pain, with getting the dental implant, waiting months, etc.

I don't recall having any of the symptoms you are describing. There was some dull aching for a few months. I mean, root canal IS a surgery, so you can expect that you won't feel the same as you used to. It shouldn't be a daily thing though. You did say that antibiotics made it feel better, but then it got worse again after stopping the antibiotics?

You can always get a second opinion. Did you do this with an endodontist? That is the only kind of dentist that I will have do my root canals now. You can tell the endodontist that you would like to save the tooth, if possible, and ask them if you have any other options?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2020, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Southern California
28,804 posts, read 11,446,625 times
Reputation: 18462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMARXX View Post
I have talked to my dentist about this condition. I asked her if my headaches could be the result of my root canal and she said it could be. Thing is this all started after I ignored the root canal pain. It eventually went away and I thought I was done and then these headaches like my whole head is burning came and then my jaw started hurting also. Now today my neck feels like it’s on fire. did a CT scan and nothing there. Although, it does hurt a lot more under my jaw.Do you think it could be pain in my lymph nodes that are causing this? It they aren’t swollen. My question is : could tooth pain be causing all this weird feelings I’m having. I’m telling you it FEELS like physical anxiety. My body feels like it’s buzzing and my neck and head feel on fire. But when I touch them it feels normal. I don’t think it’s anxiety now that I feel pain in my neck under my jaw. Its just that sensation of anxiety and nervousness about nothing. I’m sorry I don’t think I’m making sense it’s just so hard to put into words. My doctor and dentist don’t know what’s wrong and I’ve been trying everything. Thing is it went away and now it’s back I’ve been fine for about two weeks now since taking antibiotics but now 10 days off the antibiotics and its back. My dentist said if it’s continuing to cause pain (my tooth)then to extract the tooth but I don’t want to do it for nothing. Can a small tooth be causing such misery? Thank you for the reply
I gather you are talking about the pain in a root canaled tooth, right. Why not swab the area with myrrh tincture on q-tip for a while and see if that does help. I and a friend use myrrh tincture for a couple areas in our mouth and we don't want to go to dentist for major stuff. Myrrh is pretty great...and do some reading on it and dental health. And even add a couple drops of myrrh in some water and swish around and spit out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2020, 12:14 AM
 
31 posts, read 12,493 times
Reputation: 23
I should actually get a second opinion. Never have I felt this kind of tooth pain before and I've had my fair share of toothaches so I should go see an endo. right now I'm just seeing my regular dentist and she thinks it could be irritation in the gums/bone or it could be a fracture. Hence the cleaning I have scheduled. But she still thinks it won't help and extraction is necessary. Gave me antibiotics for inflammation and during my course, it felt significantly better but now the tooth irritation and ache in my jaw are constant. I'm even feeling it right now. I really do feel like it may be fractured because I have another root canal with a crown on the other side of my mouth and it feels completely fine and it's older than this one. I feel like its deep in the bone. ill definitely go see and endo because I really don't want to lose my poor tooth. Thanks for the advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2020, 12:19 AM
 
31 posts, read 12,493 times
Reputation: 23
I'll read into that thanks! My dentist prescribed me some type of mouth wash for periodontal disease for the gums to see if that helps with the gum pain but I don't know if it's helping. I'm gonna check this out to see if it works!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2020, 12:35 AM
 
Location: Southern California
28,804 posts, read 11,446,625 times
Reputation: 18462
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMARXX View Post
I'll read into that thanks! My dentist prescribed me some type of mouth wash for periodontal disease for the gums to see if that helps with the gum pain but I don't know if it's helping. I'm gonna check this out to see if it works!
Oh and a good thing is to be diligent and stay away from refined sugary stuff. Personally I''ve finally taken major control of what I put in my mouth sugar-wise and have not been to a dentist in about 10 yrs...I've had my share of dentists in my long life. And using a coconut oil toothpaste which is Anti-bacterial also is saving me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top