Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 01:51 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times

Advertisements

I had a implant on the bottoms 4 years ago and it’s called a 4 on 4. It replaced all the teeth. It was expensive at 33k. They require a lot of care so they don’t get infected, etc. I love them. I wish I could afford to have the tops done but I need a sinus lift so total would be 44k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 02:04 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I had a implant on the bottoms 4 years ago and it’s called a 4 on 4. It replaced all the teeth. It was expensive at 33k. They require a lot of care so they don’t get infected, etc. I love them. I wish I could afford to have the tops done but I need a sinus lift so total would be 44k.

For a full arch replacement on the top with inadequate bone under the sinuses, find someone who can do Zygomatic implants. These have a higher success rate than sinus lifts (for this scenario), is faster with fewer procedures, and cheaper.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:04 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
For a full arch replacement on the top with inadequate bone under the sinuses, find someone who can do Zygomatic implants. These have a higher success rate than sinus lifts (for this scenario), is faster with fewer procedures, and cheaper.
This is what my dentist has recommended for me. He referred me to a surgeon in town who specializes in the zygomatic implants. Much more streamlined, fewer procedures and overall less money. I need to get it done soon, but am saving up the last bit I need for his fee, also this COVID has kind of thrown things for a loop but hopefully I can do it in the fall.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:26 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times
Yes COVID has thrown a wrench in lots of things. But I wanted to share an experience I had over the last month regarding implants and recommendations for a tooth with problems.

At the beginning of June, I had severe pain in the lower left jaw and some pain in the upper right area, so I went to my general dentist for follow-up. After an x-ray, it was revealed that I had an infection at the tip of an old root canal on the bottom left. Root canal and gold crown were done 20 years ago. There was nothing on an x-ray of the upper right to indicate what the issue might be in that area.

So I asked the dentist for a recommendation, and he said there was no hope of restoring that tooth with the prior root canal, and it had to come out. He recommended extraction and an implant. So, I made an appointment for an extraction with an oral surgeon 2 weeks out.

I also made an appointment with an endodontist for the upper right, since the pain continued and I wanted to be sure I didn't need a root canal on that tooth.

I began having second thoughts about the extraction on the lower left, and decided to have the endodontist evaluate it, along with the tooth on the upper right. That appointment was scheduled sooner than the extraction appointment.

Here's what the endodontist told me:
"There is no reason to extract that tooth on the lower left. No evidence whatsoever to do an extraction." He recommended a micro-surgical procedure (apicoectomy) which removes the infection and fills in the old root tip.

The tooth on the upper right did not need a root canal, and there was no indication of decay under the crown. The pain has backed off.

So, I had the surgery on the lower left tooth with the old root canal, and all is well. Tooth saved. No extraction and no implant needed. Hopefully, this will be successful for the long-term.

One more example of a general dentist (who does implants) pushing a one procedure only (implants), and not even discussing alternative surgical options. And teeth with prior root canals are not always good candidates for implants due to potential bone loss, depending on the individual situation.

In any case, I'm changing my general dentist and looking to find someone who has a balanced perspective and carefully explains all options, pros and cons, when teeth need work.

Old 07-27-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Yes COVID has thrown a wrench in lots of things. But I wanted to share an experience I had over the last month regarding implants and recommendations for a tooth with problems.

At the beginning of June, I had severe pain in the lower left jaw and some pain in the upper right area, so I went to my general dentist for follow-up. After an x-ray, it was revealed that I had an infection at the tip of an old root canal on the bottom left. Root canal and gold crown were done 20 years ago. There was nothing on an x-ray of the upper right to indicate what the issue might be in that area.

So I asked the dentist for a recommendation, and he said there was no hope of restoring that tooth with the prior root canal, and it had to come out. He recommended extraction and an implant. So, I made an appointment for an extraction with an oral surgeon 2 weeks out.

I also made an appointment with an endodontist for the upper right, since the pain continued and I wanted to be sure I didn't need a root canal on that tooth.

I began having second thoughts about the extraction on the lower left, and decided to have the endodontist evaluate it, along with the tooth on the upper right. That appointment was scheduled sooner than the extraction appointment.

"There is no reason to extract that tooth on the lower left. No evidence whatsoever to do an extraction." He recommended a micro-surgical procedure (apicoectomy) which removes the infection and fills in the old root tip.

The tooth on the upper right did not need a root canal, and there was no indication of decay under the crown. The pain has backed off.

So, I had the surgery on the lower left tooth with the old root canal, and all is well. Tooth saved. No extraction and no implant needed. Hopefully, this will be successful for the long-term.

One more example of a general dentist (who does implants) pushing a one procedure only (implants), and not even discussing alternative surgical options. And teeth with prior root canals are not always good candidates for implants due to potential bone loss, depending on the individual situation.

In any case, I'm changing my general dentist and looking to find someone who has a balanced perspective and carefully explains all options, pros and cons, when teeth need work.

What is the long-term success rate for apicoectomy compared to an implant, as reported by the endodontist? I'm not sure how the endodontist (who does root canals and apicoectomies but not implants) is any different from your dentist.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:39 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
What is the long-term success rate for apicoectomy compared to an implant, as reported by the endodontist? I'm not sure how the endodontist (who does root canals and apicoectomies but not implants) is any different from your dentist.
Thanks for your comments. The endodontist and I talked about the long-term success rate (of an apico), and it varies based on the health status of the patient, prior work done on the tooth in question, etc. In my case, as an older adult (mid-70's) with osteoporosis, the apico made sense in his view (vs and implant) and had a better chance of success going forward. Obviously, as with any procedure, there are risks.

If appropriate, the endodontist could also have recommended that the tooth could not be saved and the only option was an extraction. We talked about that during the evaluation appointment, and he recommended the apico for my situation and emphasized that he saw no reason for an extraction.

To address your second question, the endodontist explained the pros and cons of doing an apico (a second root canal would make no sense in this case), and the risks of doing any surgical procedure (retreatment) on a particular tooth. Very thorough.

The general dentist, however, didn't address any option at all other than doing an extraction and implant, which would be a lucrative option for the dentist who would also be doing the crown later on, so a likely total around $5,000. The apico was $1,300. I'm sure costs vary around the country (I'm in SE Michigan).

What I look for in a general dentist is someone who has a balanced perspective, discusses all the options when work needs to be done, pros, cons, risks, etc. Then the patient can make an informed decision.

Interestingly, when I had discussions in the past with this general dentist about a potential fixed bridge vs an implant (different tooth), it was clear that his bias was toward the implant, but to the point where every question I had about the fixed bridge was answered negatively, and he dismissed concerns about the risks of implants. IMO, it would be more professional to have a discussion with a patient explaining pros and cons and risks, of each treatment option.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:06 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I am seriously considering dentures at 62. I just broke a back tooth and I've been putting off getting another tooth fixed on the other side where the old filling came out. I don't have insurance and I'm not interested in paying thousands for crowns or implants.

Trying to find a new dentist right now.
My mom was told a full set of dentures could cost $9,000 and we live in NY

Old 08-09-2020, 04:59 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
Implants are great. But our local M.D.'s doing all the implants charge $2250 for the implant and $850 for the abutment that screws into it. You've also got to have a $850 crown at your own dentist after that. Chances are you had to have a tooth removed prior to the implant which was another $850.

A simple single implant only takes about 6 minutes to install--after numbing you up. $2250 for 6 minutes work is simply a racket. They just push it in and wait a few months until the implant grows to you bone. It's actually easier to get than a filling. Oh, yea--insurance doesn't pay for implants usually.

If I was a dentist, I'd be taking seminars and getting into the implant business. They might could retire 10 years earlier if that practice got up and running.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
A simple single implant only takes about 6 minutes to install--after numbing you up. $2250 for 6 minutes work is simply a racket. They just push it in and wait a few months until the implant grows to you bone. It's actually easier to get than a filling. Oh, yea--insurance doesn't pay for implants usually.

What are the costs for the business?

If it's so quick and easy why don't you buy your own implant and numbing medicine and do it yourself?

Old 10-03-2020, 08:11 PM

349 posts, read 229,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post

I had this procedure (apicoectomy) done more than a year ago on an upper right molar. I've been having problems with the tooth getting infected too often which had a root canal done many years ago. After many bouts of antibiotics, I had the apico done to fix the failed root canal. Well the apico failed and this year I've had two rounds of infections and I finally decided to have the tooth extracted.

I'm scheduled to have it done this week (I'm dreading it!) and that's why I'm here reading everyone else's stories. The tooth is pretty far back and at this point I haven't decided if I should get an implant or just let it heal up with nothing. I'm 66 and this will be my first tooth that I will lose....I still have all of my wisdom teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health