Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2020, 02:44 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,348 times

Advertisements

I would be reluctant to get any foreign object implanted in the gumline that could be a substrate for infection, unless it is unavoidable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 09:40 PM

8 posts, read 2,941 times
Default Dentists pushing implants (vs other options) (teeth, pulled, side, cost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
At 82 soon I never had nor want an implant and glad I found dentists in my life who were not majorally money hungry. Keep looking for that right dentist for you OP.
Oh my good friend, I too am quite old and almost no bone left so implants definitely out of the question. BUT, If I had healthy bones and gums I'd seriously consider them regardless of price. Don't know when you wrote this post, but now in April/May 2023 (at least in NYC), most dentists and even prosthodontists who were good at making proper traditional dentures practically disappeared, or tell you "We don't make them anymore" and that’s how they lost practice in favor of the implants. I observed in my present dentist at my 2nd visit that he wasn’t sure of what he was doing but I had already paid him almost half!

I managed to find around half dozen dentists and prosthodontists whose staff assured me were "very experienced in traditional dentures". So I went for consultation to get a written second opinion because I had new dentures done a few months ago by a prosthodontist which have been causing me pain and felt weren't properly fitted, and I hoped I'd get a thorough checkup and hear whether they could be fixed, or done over, etc. But they seemed reluctant to point defects on a colleague's work, I imagine. And even though I paid plenty for all those consults they didn't show much interest, only gave me around 30 minutes, and no x-ray of the bridge at least, to see if it was part of the problem, etc. Simply a quickie!

I say this to alert you and others as to what to expect when you go for other than implants... unless you will be the luckiest person in the world to find a competent and honest dentist. I did some research and not only from the internet, and the central theme was that without implants one has to accept the troublesome traditional dentures. They suggested to use adhesive (which I find it so repulsive and hard to get off your gums).

I'm done trying to find that "Holy Grail" and will see how I can, again, complain to my present prosthodontist into redoing it. I figure even if I could get some refund….how to know if the next dentist will do it better?

I wish you all a whole lot better luck than mine.

Old 04-27-2023, 10:08 PM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
What about bridges?? As a cheaper solution?

Old 04-28-2023, 02:47 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosadela View Post
Oh my good friend, I too am quite old and almost no bone left so implants definitely out of the question. BUT, If I had healthy bones and gums I'd seriously consider them regardless of price. Don't know when you wrote this post, but now in April/May 2023 (at least in NYC), most dentists and even prosthodontists who were good at making proper traditional dentures practically disappeared, or tell you "We don't make them anymore" and that’s how they lost practice in favor of the implants. I observed in my present dentist at my 2nd visit that he wasn’t sure of what he was doing but I had already paid him almost half!

I managed to find around half dozen dentists and prosthodontists whose staff assured me were "very experienced in traditional dentures". So I went for consultation to get a written second opinion because I had new dentures done a few months ago by a prosthodontist which have been causing me pain and felt weren't properly fitted, and I hoped I'd get a thorough checkup and hear whether they could be fixed, or done over, etc. But they seemed reluctant to point defects on a colleague's work, I imagine. And even though I paid plenty for all those consults they didn't show much interest, only gave me around 30 minutes, and no x-ray of the bridge at least, to see if it was part of the problem, etc. Simply a quickie!

I say this to alert you and others as to what to expect when you go for other than implants... unless you will be the luckiest person in the world to find a competent and honest dentist. I did some research and not only from the internet, and the central theme was that without implants one has to accept the troublesome traditional dentures. They suggested to use adhesive (which I find it so repulsive and hard to get off your gums).

I'm done trying to find that "Holy Grail" and will see how I can, again, complain to my present prosthodontist into redoing it. I figure even if I could get some refund….how to know if the next dentist will do it better?

I wish you all a whole lot better luck than mine.
1. She can't possibly be your "good friend" as she hasn't been a member of this forum for some time now.
2. She posted in June of 2020, which you would have know simply by looking at her post.
3. You don't have to accept troublesome dentures. You can live without teeth instead if you'd rather, they're not a medically necessary part of your anatomy. Plenty of people spend their advanced years completely toothless, with no dentures at all.
4. Most dentists are honest and competent. If you keep going to bad ones, then maybe your "research" is flawed.

Old 04-28-2023, 03:22 PM

537 posts, read 443,957 times
I broke off a tooth flush with the gum, and was referred to an oral surgeon (MD). He charged $875 to get the rest of the tooth out. To do an implant, it was $2200 more. Then I'd have to wait 6 months before an abutment was installed--$875. My regular dentist would then do a crown--$850 (but now $1K). Implants get expensive.

I found a dentist in another town that charges $1,000 for an implant. He numbed me up and it took him 5 minutes total to drill a hole for the implant. He just pushed the implant in the hole and sent me on my way. I came back 6 months later for the abutment which is just a little screw in stob. Then my local dentist did a crown on the abutment.

It honestly was less work than getting a simple filling. My dentist said the oral surgeon doing the $3,900 implant has a $450,000 full head MRI to pay for and about 30 employees. The dentist just has himself and one "nurse" and little/no overhead.

A simple implant is no more work than a filling--probably less. Now if you were getting 4 implants to attach a complete of dentures to implants get more complicated and a whole lot more expensive. A set of teeth then will set you back the price of a entry level automobile.

It's a shame that you cannot trust dentists in Mexico or some other place for medical tourism. Some are great and some are shysters.

Old 08-29-2023, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 859 times
When considering tooth replacement options, it's important to weigh the pros and cons of each option, including dental implants, bridges, and dentures. Dentists and oral surgeons may push dental implants due to their unique benefits, but they may not be the best option for everyone. Factors such as underlying health issues, age, and bone issues can all be factors in determining the best course of action. It's important to find a dentist who will discuss the pros and cons of all options and provide a balanced discussion. Dental bridges and dentures may be more cost-effective options for some patients, and they can provide natural-looking results. Ultimately, it's important to consult with a qualified dentist or oral surgeon to determine the best course of action for your specific dental needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health