Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 10:08 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,787,026 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into a situation where their dentist is pushing them to get implants and not recommending other options such as bridges and various types of dentures. Yes, implants are "permanent" if they are appropriate for the patient, but I'm finding that both the dentists and the oral surgeons these days (if the patient has an extraction) are pushing implants hard.

I've had this experience with several dentists and 2 different oral surgeons.

Implants are very pricey, so that can be one reason (big bucks for dentists or oral surgeons), and they are certainly a good option for some people, but not everyone. Underlying health issues, age, bone issues (osteoporosis, etc) can all be factors, along with the history of a particular tooth (prior surgeries, etc).

I'm tired of getting only one perspective and when I try to discuss other options such as bridges or dentures, dentists push back with all the downsides. I'd like to hear a more balanced discussion, including the downsides of implants, which dentists don't seem to mention.

It's hard to find a dentist who simply discusses the pros and cons of all the options to replace missing teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 10:16 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
first off do you have dental insurance ? if so that is why they are pushing implants they want to bleed your insurance for all it is worth . Dentures are not pushed so much anymore because they dont bring in the big dollar amounts like implants do . It is a money game plain and simple . My cousin wanted to have implants at one time after a car accident and her dentist was so gung ho . She started researching problems with implants and she decided against it and i think you should do the same research implants try and find everything you can on implants . They wanted me to get implants too but I did not and never will have dental insurance . So therefore the talk of implants died real fast . again a money game . Dental insurance is a rip off does not pay to have it . but if you already have it then research everything on implants . Good luck .

Old 06-09-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
first off do you have dental insurance ? if so that is why they are pushing implants they want to bleed your insurance for all it is worth . Dentures are not pushed so much anymore because they dont bring in the big dollar amounts like implants do . It is a money game plain and simple . My cousin wanted to have implants at one time after a car accident and her dentist was so gung ho . She started researching problems with implants and she decided against it and i think you should do the same research implants try and find everything you can on implants . They wanted me to get implants too but I did not and never will have dental insurance . So therefore the talk of implants died real fast . again a money game . Dental insurance is a rip off does not pay to have it . but if you already have it then research everything on implants . Good luck .
Nope, no dental insurance. Pay out of pocket. I agree that dental insurance is a rip off.

I appreciate your comments. I agree that it's become a money game, and that there are problems with implants that are not discussed by the dentist.

I'm not a good candidate for an implant (older age, osteoporosis, etc) and also way too expensive, in addition to the problems I've read about. Who wants to spend $5,000 for an implant and crown that fails in 6 months or a year? There's no "refund" on failed implants.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:32 AM

962 posts, read 606,414 times
Say to the dentist,

"Implants sound great! But since they are so costly, I will go to Mexico for the implants at 30% of the cost. Are there any other options I should consider before I schedule my trip?"

Old 06-09-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Say to the dentist,

"Implants sound great! But since they are so costly, I will go to Mexico for the implants at 30% of the cost. Are there any other options I should consider before I schedule my trip?"
I love this! LOL Implants probably aren't right for me given my age and thin bones, but what a great way to counter some of these pushy dentists!

Too bad they don't thoroughly explain other options....that's the problem.

Old 06-09-2020, 02:29 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
At 82 soon I never had nor want an implant and glad I found dentists in my life who were not majorally money hungry. Keep looking for that right dentist for you OP.

Old 06-09-2020, 03:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,059 posts, read 80,100,596 times
My dentist has done 4 implants on me, but always discussed the option of bridge, even though he doesn't do them. His recommendation has been implants as long as it was only one or two teeth, he recommends doing bridges only if a wider area is involved, such as 3 teeth in a row. The implants are permanent, and require no special attention, it's just like having your real teeth there. Yes, they are expensive, about $4,000 each and my good insurance only pays half, but for me it has been well worth it. Shop around, we have several places advertising implants for as little as $1,995. I trust my dentist, after 25 years using him, so I'm willing to pay whatever he charges.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My dentist has done 4 implants on me, but always discussed the option of bridge, even though he doesn't do them. His recommendation has been implants as long as it was only one or two teeth, he recommends doing bridges only if a wider area is involved, such as 3 teeth in a row. The implants are permanent, and require no special attention, it's just like having your real teeth there. Yes, they are expensive, about $4,000 each and my good insurance only pays half, but for me it has been well worth it. Shop around, we have several places advertising implants for as little as $1,995. I trust my dentist, after 25 years using him, so I'm willing to pay whatever he charges.
To me, these implants are just too invasive. Glad for the couple of areas in my mouth a couple of dentists kept the metal posts, etc. out of my mouth. I know a friend and went thru an episode with her and her effort in getting implant(s), the case ended up with her trying to sue the dentist...long story and he left his practice at around that time.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:49 PM

12,945 posts, read 7,323,119 times
Trouble with crowns is that the underlying tooth must be strong enough to handle the crown.
Trouble with bridges is that you destroy the adjacent teeth unless you get an appliance bridge.
I got an implant, 15 years ago, when it procedure was new. Works well. Implant balances my jaw because jaw's otherside has a gold crown (20yo)

Old 06-09-2020, 11:18 PM

1,350 posts, read 807,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I'm wondering if anyone else has run into a situation where their dentist is pushing them to get implants and not recommending other options such as bridges and various types of dentures. Yes, implants are "permanent" if they are appropriate for the patient, but I'm finding that both the dentists and the oral surgeons these days (if the patient has an extraction) are pushing implants hard.

I've had this experience with several dentists and 2 different oral surgeons.

Implants are very pricey, so that can be one reason (big bucks for dentists or oral surgeons), and they are certainly a good option for some people, but not everyone. Underlying health issues, age, bone issues (osteoporosis, etc) can all be factors, along with the history of a particular tooth (prior surgeries, etc).

I'm tired of getting only one perspective and when I try to discuss other options such as bridges or dentures, dentists push back with all the downsides. I'd like to hear a more balanced discussion, including the downsides of implants, which dentists don't seem to mention.

It's hard to find a dentist who simply discusses the pros and cons of all the options to replace missing teeth.
I've only had to have one tooth pulled so far in my life, and I got a dental implant, and I absolutely love it! No problems with it whatsoever. I think it's the strongest "tooth" in my mouth! Looks just like a tooth, too. I would definitely want another implant, should the situation arise in the future.

Aren't bridges and dentures less desirable options? I don't have either, so I don't know what they are like. I think they require more maintenance and upkeep at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health