U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2020, 07:59 PM

11,007 posts, read 7,183,957 times

Advertisements

I recently discovered the grinding/grating noise coming from near my right ear is TMJ disorder caused by bruxism.

I knew that during the early days of the coronavirus crisis I was grinding my teeth. But I thought I had stopped that. Apparently not. It seems you can do it in your sleep and not be aware of it. But wouldn't my teeth/gums hurt when I woke up? The grating noise is not accompanied by pain.

I've read you need a custom mouthguard to deal with this. One of my neighbors is a dentist but I can't leave my house as I am high risk. Is it possible someone could drop off some sort of mold I could bite into and return? Or does this absolutely have to be done in a dental chair? If so, I'll have to pass.

I appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 08:08 PM

9,655 posts, read 5,391,952 times
Buy a mouth guard ( like they use in sports), you can buy them on line or just about anywhere that they sell sporting goods. You put it in hot water to soften it and then bite down to mold it to your teeth. Amazon has a few for this exact problem and they start at about 14.00

Old 07-15-2020, 08:27 PM

12,920 posts, read 6,444,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I recently discovered the grinding/grating noise coming from near my right ear is TMJ disorder caused by bruxism.

I knew that during the early days of the coronavirus crisis I was grinding my teeth. But I thought I had stopped that. Apparently not. It seems you can do it in your sleep and not be aware of it. But wouldn't my teeth/gums hurt when I woke up? The grating noise is not accompanied by pain.

I've read you need a custom mouthguard to deal with this. One of my neighbors is a dentist but I can't leave my house as I am high risk. Is it possible someone could drop off some sort of mold I could bite into and return? Or does this absolutely have to be done in a dental chair? If so, I'll have to pass.

I appreciate any information you can provide. Thanks.
Speaking as a life long grinder yes, many people including me primarily grind at night. When I first noticed problems with TMJ I was waking up with a sore jaw, achy face, earaches, even neck pain. Teeth and gums themselves didn't hurt. It is more of a muscle pain as you are usually clenching your jaw even if you aren't actually grating your teeth against each other. A dentist can see clear evidence that you are grinding upon examining your teeth. You can put enough pressure on them to crack them, grind holes into the chewing surfaces, even crush the teeth down until they form creases...that eventually decay. After doing some minor repairs to mostly my molars everything stabilized for years. I wore a custom fitted nightguard without fail. It started relieving symptoms within a few days...really amazing. They make it harder for one jaw to get purchase against the other if you do try to grind, they physically protect your teeth from abrasion, and also change the angle of your jaw and the transmandibular joint very slightly which can relax your jaw muscles. There are also some PT exercises you can do to help teach yourself to relax your jaw and stop clenching. They help too.

Your teeth don't stay static. They move, your bite shifts. Years later the nightguard started bothering me. When I didn't wear it my jaw felt better. The dentist suggested that maybe I was no longer grinding because of a shift in bite and learning better relaxation habits. I stopped wearing the nightguard. All seemed well. Just last fall I went to a new dentist who discovered more damaged teeth once again. Believe me I've seen the films and the photos. Almost lost a molar because it was so damaged. So much for not grinding...I was at it again. This time I didn't have jaw or face pain so wasn't aware of how much damage I was doing. The only being who shares my bed is my dog...and because she didn't complain of grinding noises or jab me in the ribs to stop me I never knew. 5 months of of dental repairs including a crown, and a new nightguard later, peace supposedly reigns once more. The new type cost 1/3 what the original one did. They are more along the lines of those invisible brace-type things.

You can certainly try one of the drug store moldable types first to see if you can tolerate it. The fit (I've heard) isn't very precise and many people find they are too bulky to be comfortable while sleeping. Some find they aggravate snoring. Probably better than doing nothing in the mean time though. If its going to help, you'll notice an improvement very quickly.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-15-2020 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 09:10 PM

Thanks, Parnassia! Good to hear from an experienced grinder.

Moments ago I found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dental-Lab-Cu.../dp/B0769YSBNX

These guys (J&S Dental Lab) have a great reputation on Amazon. They mail you a kit with instructions, than you return your impression by mail.

They have quick turnaround, which reassures me they are not outsourcing the work to China.

Old 07-15-2020, 09:19 PM

What about potential hearing loss?

I have heard TMJ/TMD can cause that.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:06 PM

12,920 posts, read 6,444,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
What about potential hearing loss?

I have heard TMJ/TMD can cause that.
I've read that's a possibility somewhere but haven't experienced it (that I could confirm). Not much of a stretch...The TMJ is close to your auditory canal structures and your jaw musculature and its nerves have a lot of connectivity to the rest of your skull. The problem would be to rule out other reasons for hearing loss that might also be present. Ongoing inflammation and swelling could certainly affect hearing. Also read that it can contribute to tinnitus. Now that is something I do seem to have. Not so bad I do anything about it. When it started or whether it coincided with the TMJ I have no idea. Even though I am using a nightguard again the tinnitus is still there. It may simply be a coincidence.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:47 PM

I already had tinnitus. I've had Costco hearing aids since 2018. Mostly I don't wear them.

But I'm concerned about balance issues if my "good" ear is trashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health