U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-24-2020, 03:10 PM
 
2,191 posts, read 1,084,545 times
Reputation: 3895

Advertisements

Hi, I lost a crown on tooth #3, the remaining tooth had to be extracted yesterday since there was not enough tooth left to support a new crown.

I was hoping that I'd be able to get an implant (and bone graft if needed) on this tooth but the periodontist that I went to said I'd need a sinus lift first. She recommended a 3 tooth fixed bridge. She feels teeth 2 and 4 are able to support this, these 2 teeth are already crowned. She said if my general dentist doesn't think this is possible then we can talk sinus lift/implant.

I have 2 implants on the back bottom left and love them. I was disappointed that she said this tooth was not a good candidate for the implant. I will not get a removable device, I think I'd go with nothing if this was my only choice. And hey, you can't really see it when I smile or talk, and you certainly can't see it when I'm wearing a mask!

I'm asking for opinions on which procedures to go with. I don't really care about cost, I care about my dental health. I'm 64 and most of my teeth have had some major work done on them over the years. I wish my mother had taught us dental hygiene when we were growing up but she wasn't aware and had full dentures at age 45 which she HATED. I do not want to be like her.

Has anyone had a sinus lift? How was it?

Thanks in advance!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2020, 06:33 PM
 
1,572 posts, read 2,107,995 times
Reputation: 2455
Hard to say without seeing the imaging, but an implant (even if you need a sinus lift) is generally a better and longer lasting option than a bridge. The exception is if the adjacent teeth need crowns anyway. Then a bridge might be better.



The sharks require me to say I am a dentist, but not your dentist, and this is just general information not medical advice, and you should see your own dentist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2020, 08:09 PM
 
2,191 posts, read 1,084,545 times
Reputation: 3895
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Hard to say without seeing the imaging, but an implant (even if you need a sinus lift) is generally a better and longer lasting option than a bridge. The exception is if the adjacent teeth need crowns anyway. Then a bridge might be better.



The sharks require me to say I am a dentist, but not your dentist, and this is just general information not medical advice, and you should see your own dentist.
Thanks toofache32! I saw my periodontist yesterday who placed 2 implants in my mouth about 10 years ago on teeth 18 and 19. This new issue is tooth #3 and she has xrays that show my sinus cavity could possibly be perforated if I didn't have a sinus lift first therefore she recommends a bridge. Teeth numbers 2 and 4 are already crowned and I'm old, would that change your mind?

She also said that if my general dentist doesn't recommend a fixed bridge that we can discuss sinus lift + implant. I really wanted the implant since I love the 2 implants I got years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 03:24 PM
 
2,191 posts, read 1,084,545 times
Reputation: 3895
In another thread toofache, you mention Zygomatic implants. Could this work for 1 tooth? I know you are not my dentist but I love getting your opinions on things!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/58746588-post32.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 03:39 PM
 
2,968 posts, read 1,221,053 times
Reputation: 7910
My sister had a sinus lift so she could get implants. It costs much more than a bridge. Years ago I had a bridge and it was permanent. They do tend to fail after 20 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 03:43 PM
 
2,191 posts, read 1,084,545 times
Reputation: 3895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
My sister had a sinus lift so she could get implants. It costs much more than a bridge. Years ago I had a bridge and it was permanent. They do tend to fail after 20 years.
I do have a 3 tooth permanent bridge on my bottom right and 2 separate implants on the bottom left. I prefer the implants. I was wondering how the sinus lift was, did your sister tell you much about the procedure?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 04:41 PM
 
2,968 posts, read 1,221,053 times
Reputation: 7910
Recovery was painful. I imagine having a single implant is much easier than the 4 on 4 that I had which replaced all my lower teeth. I swelled so bad as to be unrecognizable and needed pain pills for 4 days. It was still worth it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 04:54 PM
 
749 posts, read 1,605,742 times
Reputation: 1799
Zygomatic implants are in cases of severe bone loss or where a bone graft wouldn’t take. They are significantly longer than standard dental implants and are drilled jnto the cheekbone.

I have several implants, the most recent at #3 for which I had a sinus lift and a bone graft. There are different options for a sinus lift, but it depends on the particular case. My implantologist used the crestal method, and therefore extracted the tooth, performed the sinus lift, bone graft and implant placement all in one sitting. Easy peasy!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 05:28 PM
 
1,572 posts, read 2,107,995 times
Reputation: 2455
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
In another thread toofache, you mention Zygomatic implants. Could this work for 1 tooth? I know you are not my dentist but I love getting your opinions on things!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/58746588-post32.html



Zygomatic implants will not work for single teeth. They have to be splinted to other implants and are mainly used for full arch implant cases to replace all the teeth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2020, 12:43 PM
 
615 posts, read 602,096 times
Reputation: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Hi, I lost a crown on tooth #3, the remaining tooth had to be extracted yesterday since there was not enough tooth left to support a new crown.

I was hoping that I'd be able to get an implant (and bone graft if needed) on this tooth but the periodontist that I went to said I'd need a sinus lift first. She recommended a 3 tooth fixed bridge. She feels teeth 2 and 4 are able to support this, these 2 teeth are already crowned. She said if my general dentist doesn't think this is possible then we can talk sinus lift/implant.

I have 2 implants on the back bottom left and love them. I was disappointed that she said this tooth was not a good candidate for the implant. I will not get a removable device, I think I'd go with nothing if this was my only choice. And hey, you can't really see it when I smile or talk, and you certainly can't see it when I'm wearing a mask!

I'm asking for opinions on which procedures to go with. I don't really care about cost, I care about my dental health. I'm 64 and most of my teeth have had some major work done on them over the years. I wish my mother had taught us dental hygiene when we were growing up but she wasn't aware and had full dentures at age 45 which she HATED. I do not want to be like her.

Has anyone had a sinus lift? How was it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Generally speaking, a single dental implant is a better option than a 3-unit bridge.


In the absence of any pathology or other factors, the sinus lift is a routine, predictable procedure (in the hands of a properly trained/experienced surgeon) that has been performed for decades. There are tools/kits on the market today that make the procedure even safer/faster than it used to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top