U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2020, 09:01 PM

202 posts, read 98,275 times

Advertisements

I wanted to ask the community before I ask the dentist/orthodontist as I want an unbiased opinion before I find myself being marketed to.

I'm in my late 40s. My top front teeth are straight and perfect. My bottom 4 are crowded and crooked. It is especially visible on zoom when I speak (I teach) and has started to bother me a lot.
One of the upper left molars are growing slightly sideways (not visible).

I believe this resulted from the fact that I got my wisdom teeth in as a teenager and never got them extracted as I never saw the need. My smile is fine as the top teeth are fine. It is only when I open my mouth too wide or speak on camera (or if someone really looks into my mouth) that the problem on the bottom becomes visible.

One of the wisdom teeth on the bottom was extracted years ago because it started to break. I still have the other three.

I would like to correct the problem but have several concerns:

1. Extraction of remaining wisdom teeth. At least one of them (the bottom one to match the absence of another bottom wisdom tooth). Maybe even all three of them.
2. I have 3 crowns in the back. If invisalign goes on crowned teeth and moves them will the teeth need to be recrowned after treatment? One of the crowned teeth wasn't the perfectly straight one, and when the dentist made the crown he did it in such a way as to straighten the appearance of that tooth somewhat.
3. My age. I am concerned that shifting teeth at my age will result in them being loose. I'm afraid they'll keep shifting after treatment and won't root in their new positions.
4. Pain. I know braces are painful.
5. Need to wear a retainer for life (that's what I read).

What I read about invisalign online is incredible positive, however I'm taking it with a grain of salt and want to hear from others about their experience.

Thank you!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 09:09 PM

14,931 posts, read 15,931,402 times
Go see a dentist. They can answer some of your questions. Have you checked for reviews on line and at YouTube that don’t originate from the company.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health