U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 12:18 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,034 posts, read 12,716,879 times

Advertisements

I had pain and sensitivity on lower molar. So my dentist said she couldn't see any crack even with x-rays and referred me to Periodontist for gum grafting and further checking. My periodontist noticed the crack with just visible inspection and x-rays. He said that no serious nerve damage or infection deep in root was seen, but wanted me to see a Endodontist to be sure.

The Endodontist took x-ray and confirmed the crack, but still didn't give me a clear answer if the tooth needed one. He said it's possible that there could be issues deep down in the tooth. I told him why can't i just get a crown done with my dentist then. The x-ray didn't seem to show any damage nerve or anything deep, but he recommended a root canal. Shouldn't there be a clear cut answer with his x-ray? I'm thinking now i made a mistake in rushing to do this root canal....too late to turn back since half of the root canal is done with nerve pulled already. The crack was actually on the edge of my molar. Now i have basically a dead tooth. My friend's dentist said with all the money i'm paying for root canal, gum graft, and crown...it's almost the price of a dental implant which lasts alot longer. Oh well.

Also, not sure why the dentist wanted to remind me to let the Endodontist know to do a core buildup on my tooth. Wouldn't an Endodontist already know that?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2020, 05:26 PM

44 posts, read 26,681 times
Hello. I'm a general dentist and I thought I would try to help you out. First off, there is no good replacement for your own teeth. While an implant is the best option we have for teeth replacement, it does not and cannot replace your own teeth. That means, in my opinion, you getting a root canal and keeping your teeth is better than an implant. Now if there was a crack that was deep (a crack that went well below your gum line), then a root canal is not often recommended as it won't help. If your tooth is still sensitive after the root canal, there is a good chance that you need to have the tooth extracted, but hopefully it won't come to that. As far as the core build-up goes, the general dentist is the one that typically does this. Usually, the endodontist finishes the root canal and places a temporary material, so that your general dentist can eventually do a build up and set you up for a crown. While endodontists can certainly do core build-ups, it is rare for them to actually do it. Perhaps your dentist and the endodontist have a close relationship and usually asks of your endodontist to do the core build-up. (Core build-ups are usually a permanent filling, often similar to a white colored, composite filling you might get).

I hope that helps.

- Dr. S

Old 09-08-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stresslessdds View Post
Hello. I'm a general dentist and I thought I would try to help you out. First off, there is no good replacement for your own teeth. While an implant is the best option we have for teeth replacement, it does not and cannot replace your own teeth. That means, in my opinion, you getting a root canal and keeping your teeth is better than an implant. Now if there was a crack that was deep (a crack that went well below your gum line), then a root canal is not often recommended as it won't help. If your tooth is still sensitive after the root canal, there is a good chance that you need to have the tooth extracted, but hopefully it won't come to that. As far as the core build-up goes, the general dentist is the one that typically does this. Usually, the endodontist finishes the root canal and places a temporary material, so that your general dentist can eventually do a build up and set you up for a crown. While endodontists can certainly do core build-ups, it is rare for them to actually do it. Perhaps your dentist and the endodontist have a close relationship and usually asks of your endodontist to do the core build-up. (Core build-ups are usually a permanent filling, often similar to a white colored, composite filling you might get).

I hope that helps.

- Dr. S
thanks for the info. Once this heals after a few days, i can go get my gum surgery with periodontist and once that heals, i just go back to my dentist for the crown right? the dentist doesn't need to do anything else? he should just be able to install the crown and i should be done right?

Old 09-08-2020, 11:32 PM

Your welcome.

The dentist usually gives you a crown in 2 visits unless they have a milling device (which you can think of as a 3D printer). We first design the tooth, then we take an impression of the designed tooth. The second visit, we deliver or cement the crown. I haven't heard anyone use the phrase installing a crown before. Sounds a little funny to me. Anyways, this is all assuming the crown build-up has already been done.

-Dr. S

Old 09-08-2020, 11:44 PM

18,599 posts, read 10,903,130 times
Just a note here...
Anyone who thinks they may need a root canal should get an endodontist to look at it. I went to one a few years ago and after some tests he concluded that I actually had a sinus infection. He was right! ... A round of antibiotics and my horrible toothache vanished. That was on the upper, of course.

Then last year, a crowned tooth developed an ache that kind of came and went, and then it came and STAYED! Big time. Root canal was pretty easy. It's like getting a really long filling, and he did mine in one trip. Went right in through the crown and when I went for annual checkup my regular dentist said it looked great.
So don't be skeert. It ain't all that bad.

I'm 75 and have no real dental issues. Still got all my teeth.

Old 09-09-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Your welcome.

The dentist usually gives you a crown in 2 visits unless they have a milling device (which you can think of as a 3D printer). We first design the tooth, then we take an impression of the designed tooth. The second visit, we deliver or cement the crown. I haven't heard anyone use the phrase installing a crown before. Sounds a little funny to me. Anyways, this is all assuming the crown build-up has already been done.

-Dr. S
You meant core buildup like my Endodontist did for me before i go back to my dentist for the crown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Just a note here...
Anyone who thinks they may need a root canal should get an endodontist to look at it. I went to one a few years ago and after some tests he concluded that I actually had a sinus infection. He was right! ... A round of antibiotics and my horrible toothache vanished. That was on the upper, of course.

Then last year, a crowned tooth developed an ache that kind of came and went, and then it came and STAYED! Big time. Root canal was pretty easy. It's like getting a really long filling, and he did mine in one trip. Went right in through the crown and when I went for annual checkup my regular dentist said it looked great.
So don't be skeert. It ain't all that bad.

I'm 75 and have no real dental issues. Still got all my teeth.
That is really amazing at your age to still have all your teeth. I kinda regret getting braces when younger. I had overcrowding of teeth and in order to straighten them out, i had to get 4 healthy teeth extracted....2 on top and bottom. I wish i had those 4 teeth back.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
You meant core buildup like my Endodontist did for me before i go back to my dentist for the crown?

That is really amazing at your age to still have all your teeth. I kinda regret getting braces when younger. I had overcrowding of teeth and in order to straighten them out, i had to get 4 healthy teeth extracted....2 on top and bottom. I wish i had those 4 teeth back.
Yes. That is what I meant.

Old 11-16-2020, 05:42 PM

Just had a temporary crown put on and i am unable to floss in between it and next tooth. I am hoping once the permanent crown arrives to be fitted in a couple weeks my dentist will adjust the size. It was frustrating to come home today and find out i can't floss in between it since the temporary crown was big.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:13 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,084,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Just had a temporary crown put on and i am unable to floss in between it and next tooth. I am hoping once the permanent crown arrives to be fitted in a couple weeks my dentist will adjust the size. It was frustrating to come home today and find out i can't floss in between it since the temporary crown was big.
I've had that happen when the temp was on. Can you use a floss threader and put it in at the gun line, something like this: https://www.toothbrushexpress.com/GU...YaAjcnEALw_wcB ?

Old 12-05-2020, 08:58 PM

108 posts, read 36,958 times
Quote:
Hello. I'm a general dentist and I thought I would try to help you out. First off, there is no good replacement for your own teeth. While an implant is the best option we have for teeth replacement, it does not and cannot replace your own teeth. That means, in my opinion, you getting a root canal and keeping your teeth is better than an implant. Now if there was a crack that was deep (a crack that went well below your gum line), then a root canal is not often recommended as it won't help. If your tooth is still sensitive after the root canal, there is a good chance that you need toIn have the tooth extracted, but hopefully it won't come to that. As far as the core build-up goes, the general dentist is the one that typically does this. Usually, the endodontist finishes the root canal and places a temporary material, so that your general dentist can eventually do a build up and set you up for a crown. While endodontists can certainly do core build-ups, it is rare for them to actually do it. Perhaps your dentist and the endodontist have a close relationship and usually asks of your endodontist to do the core build-up. (Core build-ups are usually a permanent filling, often similar to a white colored, composite filling you might get).

I hope that helps.

- Dr. S

In the past recent months during this coronavirus we're going thru, I had a tooth that crack. The Dentist did recommend a root canal, but could not guarantee it would work and still might have to remove the tooth anyways. I just wanted it out. One tooth less is not going to matter to me. Is the tooth cracked have anything to do with the coronavirus we are going thru now? I read in the paper and the news mentioned it as well, that many dentists are seeing patients having a cracked tooth. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health