U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 07:28 AM

284 posts, read 66,370 times

Advertisements

Do you recommend veneers? My teeth are not in good shape . I am thinking to get an appointment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 08:50 PM

4,558 posts, read 2,257,905 times
I have a tooth, last one in the back, upper right, and each time I go for a cleaning, the dentist tries to talk me into having it removed (by an oral surgeon, at great cost) because it's loose. The thing is I'm not aware of it feeling loose. I brush and floss it, I chew with it, and it doesn't cause me any discomfort of any kind.

If they were trying to talk me into spending $500 or so, why don't they offer me a bone graft or something in an effort to save the tooth? If there's a legit reason that it must come out, why can't they pull it, being so loose, rather than make me go to a surgeon, which would be more than double the cost?

Old 11-26-2020, 06:18 PM

9,096 posts, read 10,261,174 times
New Question Please:

This is regarding my upper farthest back molar. Long ago (probably 1-2 yrs ago), I noticed I had probably chipped it a bit somehow because the corner felt jagged, but never went to a dentist. Things have been fine until today. I'm chewing like usual & feel a sharp nerve pain similar I guess to when you eat something very cold & it's against your teeth. (My teeth aren't sensitive to cold, by the way.)

I later realize it seems to be that same chipped molar. This is a guess, but I think I chipped it a tad more because it feels like my nerve might be exposed just a tad because it's a cold sensation. I'll chew very carefully, but I haven't gone to ANY doctors since COVID started & didn't want to anytime soon. I'm not in any pain, just a cool sensation sometimes & I can still eat & drink w/o pain.

Is there anything I can do at all to help prolong going to the dentist? I'd appreciate your reply very much.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:01 PM

1,583 posts, read 2,151,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I have a tooth, last one in the back, upper right, and each time I go for a cleaning, the dentist tries to talk me into having it removed (by an oral surgeon, at great cost) because it's loose. The thing is I'm not aware of it feeling loose. I brush and floss it, I chew with it, and it doesn't cause me any discomfort of any kind.

If they were trying to talk me into spending $500 or so, why don't they offer me a bone graft or something in an effort to save the tooth? If there's a legit reason that it must come out, why can't they pull it, being so loose, rather than make me go to a surgeon, which would be more than double the cost?

A bone graft will not save this tooth. Bone will not survive around a mobile tooth and will dissolve away in a few months. For the removal, not all dentists perform extractions, just like not all dentists perform root canals. Some dentists perform easy low-risk extractions and yours could have a high risk feature such as the roots being near the sinus which can create a hole between the mouth and sinus if removed.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:00 PM

3,924 posts, read 1,665,862 times
For the second time in two years... a tooth has shattered (a large chunk of the tooth was chipped off). I see the dentist on Monday. She seems to think this is very common and it is just old age, decay, and the fact that tooth had a substantial filling.

But it seems odd that it just keeps happening in rather quick succession. My last lost tooth was in November 2019.

Finally what can I do to stop the rest of the teeth from gong this way. I am sure I will have to have a root canal.

Is there anything I can do to preemptively fix a tooth that has a large old filling before the tooth shatters?

Old 11-29-2020, 01:58 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,401,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
For the second time in two years... a tooth has shattered (a large chunk of the tooth was chipped off). I see the dentist on Monday. She seems to think this is very common and it is just old age, decay, and the fact that tooth had a substantial filling.

But it seems odd that it just keeps happening in rather quick succession. My last lost tooth was in November 2019.

Finally what can I do to stop the rest of the teeth from gong this way. I am sure I will have to have a root canal.

Is there anything I can do to preemptively fix a tooth that has a large old filling before the tooth shatters?

Maybe ask about getting a crown on it.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:39 AM

4,442 posts, read 1,999,119 times
Quote:

I'm not a dentist but are you wearing a bite guard? I was clenching my teeth in my sleep and was getting the occasional crack in a molar. My dentist suggested a bite guard at night. I've had it for years and it's really helped.

Old 12-01-2020, 09:22 AM

3,924 posts, read 1,665,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm not a dentist but are you wearing a bite guard? I was clenching my teeth in my sleep and was getting the occasional crack in a molar. My dentist suggested a bite guard at night. I've had it for years and it's really helped.
I doubt it because this tooth is lower than the one beside it.

I went in yesterday and the doc said I just needed a partial crown.

Here is a follow up question... she says I need "deep cleaning" on my back teeth. I have always heard that was a scam but since for at least 10 years now dentists have been trying to get me to do that... I have to presume I should just get it over with.

I do not feel like I can get a proper explanation from her.

I have about 3 teeth in the back that need it. But she tells me the appointment is going to be two hours. Can someone please explain to me why? I asked her but she was vague and her answers didn't make a lot of sense and she confabulated it with the crown.

Also, can I just have the deep cleaning once? Or does this go on and on and on.

Old 12-01-2020, 10:27 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,150,142 times
Quote:
I had deep cleaning about 10 years ago due to having deep gum pockets. Since then I'm a fanatic about brushing, flossing, using a water pic and rinsing with hydrogen peroxide/mouthwash and these days I have good checkups. I wish I had been doing this my whole life.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:09 PM

13,105 posts, read 6,616,991 times
Quote:
I doubt it because this tooth is lower than the one beside it.

I went in yesterday and the doc said I just needed a partial crown.

Here is a follow up question... she says I need "deep cleaning" on my back teeth. I have always heard that was a scam but since for at least 10 years now dentists have been trying to get me to do that... I have to presume I should just get it over with.

I do not feel like I can get a proper explanation from her.

I have about 3 teeth in the back that need it. But she tells me the appointment is going to be two hours. Can someone please explain to me why? I asked her but she was vague and her answers didn't make a lot of sense and she confabulated it with the crown.

https://www.dentaly.org/us/oral-hygiene/deep-cleaning/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health