U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 11:25 AM

44 posts, read 33,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
The code was D7210, zip code 32935. I paid $319. I had to pay an additional $138 for D0180.

The crows only say Porcelain Bridge Abutment 06740 and Porcelain Bridge Pontic 06245.
For zip codes starting with 329 the cost multiplier is 1.006, which means you multiply this number by the ones I gave in my last pst and the ones below.

For code D6740 the 50th Percentile is $1206
For code D6245 the 50th Percentile is $1200
For code D0180 the 50th Percentile is $96

Just remember with these, it might be worth more going to a better dentist and paying more than the 50th Percentile. Hope that helps.

- Dr. S
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 11:55 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,150,142 times
Thanks! I did pay more than $1200 (times 3). But I got a 5% discount for paying with cash.

Old 09-08-2020, 12:58 PM

4,442 posts, read 1,999,119 times
What's the current thinking on bone density supplements and implants? I'm female, 67 and have 5 implants. The dentist and the oral surgeon are both impressed with how well the implants have integrated into my jawbone. In early 2019 I had a bone density scan and there was osteopenia in my hips, but not my spine. I've got low BMI but am keeping it above 19.0 and taking calcium and magnesium supplements.

So.. in early 2021 when Medicare pays for another scan, if the osteopenia has worsened and they try to put me on bone density supplements, what does that mean for my current implants and does it make me a poor candidate for future implants? A few years ago I read some scary articles about osteonecrosis in the jawbones of women who took these supplements. Thanks!

Old 09-08-2020, 01:19 PM

If by supplements you mean calcium and magnesium, that doesn't cause osteonecrosis of the jaw. If you mean medications for osteopenia or osteoporosis such as bisphosphonates (Fosamax is a common one), then yes. Those can cause what we call bisphosphonates related osteonecrosis of the jaw also known as BRONJ.

Those medications should not affect your current implants. As far as new implants go, you need to have a discussion with your dentist. There are steps to take to minimize risk of osteonecrosis and if you are otherwise healthy, I don't see much issues with you going forward with the implant. Again, since I don't have your full med history and dental history, it's important to have a nice, long discussion with your dentist as well.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:20 PM

4,640 posts, read 3,943,226 times
I want to know why you're not working.

Old 09-08-2020, 01:25 PM

No patient right now. Slow day today. Only had one exam and one wisdom tooth extraction.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:28 PM

4,442 posts, read 1,999,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stresslessdds View Post
If by supplements you mean calcium and magnesium, that doesn't cause osteonecrosis of the jaw. If you mean medications for osteopenia or osteoporosis such as bisphosphonates (Fosamax is a common one), then yes. Those can cause what we call bisphosphonates related osteonecrosis of the jaw also known as BRONJ.
Thanks- I meant the meds such as Fosamax. I'm not impressed with what I read of them anyway since they appear to increase the risk of low-impact fractures so if a doc prescribed them I'd research them thoroughly.

I'm glad to know that future implants wouldn't be ruled out completely. I have a pretty old bridge and when one of the teeth under it fails I'm likely to go for implants to replace the failed tooth and fill the gap- did that when I had a similar issue on the other side. My oral surgeon is an MD and a DDS so he'll be a good resource (although I asked him once and he said there would be a whole sheaf of disclaimers I'd have to sign if I were on bone density meds!).

But I never smoked, which increases the risk of trouble with implants. There's that.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:02 PM

18,848 posts, read 12,341,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stresslessdds View Post
I have many patient's that want their teeth gone. Just remember that nothing can replace your own teeth. Dentures and implants are wonderful for what they are but they are nothing like real teeth. With that said, I tell my patients that your bone is more important than your teeth since you can have perfect teeth but if you have no good bone to support the tooth, the tooth is useless. You also need good bone health for implants and you also need the bone to support dentures as well. Hopefully, your dentist can help you figure it all out! Good luck.

- Dr. S
Implants would buy me a new C8 Vette so they are out. My sis had to have all her teeth pulled as she threw up a lot thanks to tummy probs and went without any teeth for years and ate fine without them. She went too long she said before she got her fake teeth and never learned to like them and did without and i am sure i will do the same and save tons of money honey. Sure as heck not paying 30 k or more implants.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:47 PM

6,635 posts, read 10,219,905 times
Hi there Doc;

I grind my teeth at night and have to wear a nightgard when I sleep. It causes me to have a very dry mouth and I usually take it out around 2 AM and go without. If i do not wear it, my right TMJ gives me ear pain so I wonder what else there is I can do? Went to an ENT once. He had no help for me.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:22 PM

15,972 posts, read 8,256,853 times
Do you recommend sugarless gum for your patients who chew gum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health