Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2020, 12:41 PM

400 posts, read 366,047 times

Advertisements

Ok, I am not trying to be mean or insensitive, but I am starting to think I am being over treated. I go to the dentist on a regular basis and every time I go, they always find a cavity. I changed dentist and was told that my first dentist did not fill it correctly and it was broken or leaking. My understanding is that fillings are supposed to last quite a long time. I cannot imagine every year needing new fillings, which is why I am starting to think I am being over treated. I brush my teeth, floss them and year after year it is the same thing. I am starting to think my dentists are not being honest. For example, I had fillings done earlier this year and the dentist is saying that I have 4 new cavities. The thing is that if they are fixing them, why are they always leaking and coming back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 12:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have had some of that too, fillings as a teen, that were worn out or even considered defective in my 30s. Others required crowns because the old filling was big and not enough wall was left for the strength needed for a new filling. Most of my most expensive dental work was in my 50s, and almost all of it was from old fillings. Thank goodness for dental insurance.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:01 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
Ok, I am not trying to be mean or insensitive, but I am starting to think I am being over treated. I go to the dentist on a regular basis and every time I go, they always find a cavity. I changed dentist and was told that my first dentist did not fill it correctly and it was broken or leaking. My understanding is that fillings are supposed to last quite a long time. I cannot imagine every year needing new fillings, which is why I am starting to think I am being over treated. I brush my teeth, floss them and year after year it is the same thing. I am starting to think my dentists are not being honest. For example, I had fillings done earlier this year and the dentist is saying that I have 4 new cavities. The thing is that if they are fixing them, why are they always leaking and coming back?
Don't think there's an "average" lifespan for fillings. It can vary a lot...I've read everything from two to ten years, but I have a couple that are much older and doing fine. So much depends on the health of the tooth structure that surrounds them. If the tooth itself is prone to decay and the person's dental hygiene isn't great, the filling may not last nearly as long. Maybe you need to step up your daily dental care routine.

Actually, your question is confusing. Do you mean they are telling you there are " new cavities" in 4 teeth that didn't have one before, or that 4 fillings that already exist need to be repaired or replaced? Could be both. It is possible for teeth that already have a filling to continue to decay around or underneath an existing filling. They start in the enamel but can extend into the dentin underneath. If the dentist who did the original filling didn't find and remove every speck of decay (there's a stain they can use after all the drilling to check for it), it can continue eroding the dentin. Dentists vary in their expertise and how aggressive they are about finding and stopping decay (IME). Your teeth aren't static. Different areas of a tooth that happens to have a filling can continue to decay over time.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Don't think there's an "average" lifespan for fillings. It can vary a lot...I've read everything from two to ten years, but I have a couple that are much older and doing fine. So much depends on the health of the tooth structure that surrounds them. If the tooth itself is prone to decay and the person's dental hygiene isn't great, the filling may not last nearly as long. Maybe you need to step up your daily dental care routine.

Actually, your question is confusing. Do you mean they are telling you there are " new cavities" in 4 teeth that didn't have one before, or that 4 fillings that already exist need to be repaired or replaced? Could be both. It is possible for teeth that already have a filling to continue to decay around or underneath an existing filling. They start in the enamel but can extend into the dentin underneath. If the dentist who did the original filling didn't find and remove every speck of decay (there's a stain they can use after all the drilling to check for it), it can continue eroding the dentin. Dentists vary in their expertise and how aggressive they are about finding and stopping decay (IME). Your teeth aren't static. Different areas of a tooth that happens to have a filling can continue to decay over time.
Sorry to confuse. They are saying both. The existing fillings are leaking and 2 new cavities have formed, primarily in between the teeth. I brush, I floss, I use mouthwash. I am not sure what to do at this point. I don't understand how dental work done around summer of this year already needs to be redone. I have been told that the previous dentist did not do a good job on the fillings which is why some are leaking. I am just frustrated. It just seems like an endless cycle. I barely eat hard foods.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:27 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Sorry to confuse. They are saying both. The existing fillings are leaking and 2 new cavities have formed, primarily in between the teeth. I brush, I floss, I use mouthwash. I am not sure what to do at this point. I don't understand how dental work done around summer of this year already needs to be redone. I have been told that the previous dentist did not do a good job on the fillings which is why some are leaking. I am just frustrated. It just seems like an endless cycle. I barely eat hard foods.
Teeth vary in how resistant they are to decay. It can be hereditary. Even if you are fanatical about keeping them clean they can simply be prone to it. I've known several people who do everything they can to avoid cavities but still get them. Saliva disorders can promote decay too. Not producing enough saliva or changes in the pH affect your teeth. Medications you take can play into tooth decay.

"Hard" foods have little to do with it. Composite materials can be harder than the tooth itself. The composite material may not be changing...the tooth around it may be. If you grind your teeth that can damage them too. Many people grind without realizing it. A dentist can tell if you are a grinder when they examine your teeth. You can wear away the enamel, grind holes in the chewing surfaces, even cause small fissures that start decaying because bacteria gets into the cracks and is hard to remove. I happen to have very tough teeth, but I am a lifelong grinder. The only reason I have fillings now is because of damage from years of grinding without realizing it. My teeth would be in much worse condition now except for the fact that they are (to quote one dentist) "tough as pig iron". Now I wear a night guard to protect them.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-23-2020 at 02:34 PM..

Old 10-23-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have had some of that too, fillings as a teen, that were worn out or even considered defective in my 30s. Others required crowns because the old filling was big and not enough wall was left for the strength needed for a new filling. Most of my most expensive dental work was in my 50s, and almost all of it was from old fillings. Thank goodness for dental insurance.
So how many years did yours last. It seems like every yr. I have a cavity or 2. Is the amalgam stronger than the composite material? I know it looks bad cosmetically.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:24 PM

433 posts, read 532,153 times
Quote:
In may 2019, there was an article in "Atlantic" magazine which might interest you---
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...tistry/586039/

There is (are) a number of "rebuttals", however, some of which can be found in the following---
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/is-...science-based/

As they say "Your mileage may vary."

Old 10-24-2020, 10:09 AM

572 posts, read 324,861 times
I have the fillings for the last many years and now one of them need a new treatment but if your cavities are appearing every now and then then your dental condition might not be good and your teeth are decaying fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health