U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 11:34 PM

8 posts, read 1,448 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, newbie here.

I have this problem I can't seem to solve:

I am looking for a Dental Consulting Service. If you know one, please, share with me.

---------------------------------details------------------------------------
I am a middle age man who find himself with a mouth of rotten, cracked and chipped teeth.
Reasons:
-born in a county untouched by dentistry and pain killers
-had bad luck with dentists in childhood where most of the damage was done
-not sure if I am hypersensitive because every procedure was like an execution with a circular saw

-developed a severe fear of dentistry and lack of belief in usefulness of dental work
-allowed myself to have bad hygiene habits due to painful mouth, open roots, etc.
-failed to conquer my fears
-time lost without any action

So, mainly, this is my own fault, just wanted to get this out of the way.

Want to (not really, but forcing myself) do something about it, I need to make a step. Maybe I can take another step after that.

Due to severity of my situation, I think I should be careful about my choices. This is because I think with so much work required, I literally, won't be able to afford any detours.

Would like to receive a good consultation on my choices, solutions, pros, cons.
I do not mind to pay for the consultation, needed x-rays, etc. I am not where I could say "money isn't a problem", but I certainly understand that no one likes to do complicated work without compensation.

However, I think that I can not go to a dentist and ask his opinion if he is looking to get the work, because, it would be a biased opinion, it will not include any technologies that dentist does not provide, therefore some better technologies / approaches possibly won't even get mentioned.

Consulting several dentists makes for the averaging, but does not deal with exclusion of options that may not be available in the area.

I think in a country as developed as the USA, there must be someone providing a paid consultations about dentistry options, who is paid from a patient and not from the referrals (because the referrals should create the same bias again). For some weird reason all I see are the consulting firms consulting the dentists, NOT the patients !?!? Maybe I am wrong about the country?

I see that there are some actual dentists on this board, I figured if such service exist they might know?

Or, am I asking at the wrong place?

Thank you for reading and maybe for your advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 08:04 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,130,485 times
This service does not exist. Just get multiple opinions for several dentists. They will all be somewhat different.

Of course they profit from their services.

"My roof is leaking but I'm afraid to call a roofer because he will tell me it needs to be fixed."

Old 01-17-2021, 11:35 PM

I know I can get the recommendations from several practitioners for their own services.
But how do I find out if I should seek the options they do not offer? Like, if there is one dentist who uses newer, better technology, but there is only one or two of them say, one in Santa Monica and another at San Francisco.

In such scenario, none of the locals would even tell me about this, because why would they send away the work? This is the issue (maybe just imagined?) that I am trying to figure out. I thought an independent adviser who's job is to know this would be the solution.

I can get a network consultant, or nutrition consultant, insurance, even a repair consultant or others, that would not offer any service of their own but only charge to advise of available and best options. But for dentistry... such a highly complicated and specialized area... nothing?

Maybe this is because 99% of people in US have awesome smiles, they don't care, after all, who cares who does your cleaning, if this is all you need. An occasional tooth to fix or extract. No biggie.

I think you have an impression that I am somehow against profits. I assure you, I am not. I am against the notion that other people exist to provide me with free stuff. I am looking for a way to navigate the area completely unfamiliar to me and not goof out like a last fool.

I appreciate your input, nevertheless. I looked up your username. I think you a dentist? Your posts seem to suggests so. I like your opinion on those threads I reviewed. I think you're a very intelligent person with a solid experience. You offer a very condensed input, which only happens when a person thought it over and over many times and from multiple angles.

Thus if you say so, you likely know for certain the service I am looking for doesn't exist. Too bad for me. On the other hand, bad news still gets me somewhere, no news gets me nowhere.

Thank you, tofache32!

Old 01-18-2021, 12:00 AM

There's not much new in dental technology that you cannot get at most offices. I would actually be wary of something you can only get in a few places because either it's too new to know the long-term results, or the science behind it is lacking. If the science is strong, many dentists will quickly pick up that technology.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:52 PM

Hmm.. This makes sense. This is exactly what I was worrying about - making a completely wrong choice by being a noob.
Thank you for this!

There is also tourism. I mean Thailand or Czech Republic, and such, even Mexico. Do you have an opinion on those centers for dental tourism? They sound very promising (on ADs), but what do professionals here think of them? How do they compare to the US dentistry?

And if we talk the US, is there any difference between the West Coast and the Midwest and the South?

Old 01-18-2021, 03:47 PM

846 posts, read 261,993 times
You know, if your teeth are that bad, and they're all problems (cracked, rotting, fell out, loose) you might want to just bite the bullet and get them all removed. And get a good set of dentures.

It'll be a lot less expensive than trying to repair or cover up or root canal a whole mouthful of teeth. Extractions and recovery from them is painful but the upside: no more bad breath. no more pain in your mouth or sinuses. No more hiding your smile. And no more worry about having to go to the dentist for painful or scary procedures.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey-13 View Post
Hmm.. This makes sense. This is exactly what I was worrying about - making a completely wrong choice by being a noob.
Thank you for this!

There is also tourism. I mean Thailand or Czech Republic, and such, even Mexico. Do you have an opinion on those centers for dental tourism? They sound very promising (on ADs), but what do professionals here think of them? How do they compare to the US dentistry?

And if we talk the US, is there any difference between the West Coast and the Midwest and the South?

Medical/Dental tourism is common. There are good and bad dentists in other countries. There are good and bad dentists in the USA. The difference is that you have legal rights in the USA that you don't have in other countries. Also, in the dental implant world, there are lots of implant brands used in other countries that are not FDA approved in the US. This means US dentists are not always able to get parts/instruments to service them if you have problems. Your dentist is now in Thailand.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:46 PM

Thank you Ghaati, for your input!

A good idea for sure, but I think the dentures should probably not be my first option. I am not literally poor, and I am very healthy otherwise, good size, fitness and lots of energy. Not thinking of going into the sunset. I mean, yeah, everything may happen, but not planning to.

I did hear somewhere, that there is an option like you mentioned, except for the implants. Basically, go under anesthesia and get all rotten junk removed and issues fixed at once. Wake up and wait for everything to get healed. Then do it again, and make major preparations, like grafts, etc. Wake up and wait again. Finally, go under one more time and get the implants. It is necessary to wait for 3 month for each implant to heal. So, may-be I can do them at once and wait three month for all of them at once, and stay on liquid food. I am pretty disciplined if I have to be. I can stay on a little more than water if need be. Then visit the doctor to apply the crowns. Not sure if this a fantasy or a real option.

Thank you so much for chiming in!

Last edited by Odyssey-13; 01-22-2021 at 11:13 PM..

Old 01-22-2021, 11:02 PM

toofache32,

I understand. If there is an infection, a crack, pain, who knows, then I will have to go back and get on a plane to Thailand or wherever. Lets say there is covid, and.... I am screwed.

So, it is a risk. Got it. Thank you so much for your opinion!

Also, I see a lot of ads from Thailand in particular about "all on 4" or 6... And to be wary of that. Sure, the computer placing makes things a lot faster and cheaper than in the USA where it still done in a terms of years and years and manually, but, they warn, that "All-on-4" is cheaper for a reason. You can't clean under the bridge properly and you have to, and the load on those 4 is now tremendous as compared with a proper technique where each tooth is replaced with an implant, not a bridge. Besides, if someone takes a swing at you at the bar, all the pressure goes to one or two points and say goodbye to you jaw.

And yet, immediately after, I read a paper that says that "all-on-4" and "all-on-6" is actually better, because of the sensitivity issue. Apparently, we don't bite too hard, because we can measure our bite pressure by sensing it through our teeth. When all teeth are replaced by implants, people start to apply excessive pressures, because the implants are not as sensitive as natural teeth at sensing the pressure. In "all-on-4" or "6" bridge works, the bridge spreads the same pressure across fewer implants, which then mimics the natural sensitivity more realistically.

You see? These opinions are directly opposing each other. This is why I was looking for consulting. This is complicated.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:42 PM

I do about 150 all-on-4 cases a year. It's a great way to have immediate tooth replacement for the right patient. But it comes with it's own challenges. You still have to keep everything clean, and most people who find themselves needing this are in that situation because they didn't take care of their original teeth. Dental implants will fail too if they are not maintained properly including regular dental cleanings around the implants. There is no magic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health