Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 03:43 AM

131 posts, read 224,518 times

Advertisements

I've been going to a local clinic where a student resident has been working on my teeth (filling cavities) and I have a question. Should the residents be required to have a dental assistant present during these procedures? Because on one of my appointments the resident tells the assistant 'I've got this' and the assistant leaves the room while I get multiple cavities filled over a 45-60 min visit and the next visit with more cavities being done the assistant is also gone most of the time. This makes me feel uncomfortable being the resident is still a student and perhaps having a dental assistant present (having another set of eyes there) would be better in case the resident overlooks something. What do you think?

Note: mods please correct spelling in tilte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 12:54 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,375,238 times
If the students are filling cavities, the students should be in dental school. A dental assistant doesn't drill teeth. There should be a teacher (fully qualified dentist) on the premises to oversee the students.

Dental assistants are there to help the dentist with providing the tools at the appropriate time and keeping records, but do not offer advice regarding how to drill teeth.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:45 PM

Ok what I meant is dental resident at a hospital dental clinic. With 'resident' meaning General Practice Residency (GPR) postgraduate training program for dentists (after completing dental school).

The issue I'm asking about is whether these practicing 'residents' should have dental assistants present while filling cavities etc?

Old 04-25-2021, 10:25 AM

9,205 posts, read 6,375,238 times
The dentist doesn't require a dental assistant.

Are you expecting the dental assistants to provide guidance and corrections to the dentists?

They are there only to facilitate the availability of tools and update the patients' dental records.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:35 PM

1,655 posts, read 2,798,396 times
I'm curious why you call them students and say they are practicing? I have been a dentist for almost 20 years and I am still "practicing". I never had an assistant in dental school and much of my residency.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:37 AM

What I mean is most of the time when I've gone to a regular dentist office or to dental clinics inside a hospital that have a dental residency program such as this one: https://www.rwjbh.org/for-healthcare...tal-residency/

the dentist usually has an assistant who suctions your mouth, hands instruments to the dentist etc during procedures such as root canals + getting cavities filled (in my experience). Since these dentists 'graduate' from the residency program and all the dental residents I've had in the past are quite young (in their 20's) I'm going under the assumption they are still in training. Plus many times during my visits they would have to get the advice of their ?advisor? on treatment plans and the like. Which I've never had a dentist in a private practice have to talk to an advisor to do any work. So they are in training, correct? And my concern is with my new dental resident telling the assistant he needs no help and chases her out of the room. That does make me a uncomfortable so I posted here asking what others think.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:20 AM

23,932 posts, read 33,800,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-life View Post
What I mean is most of the time when I've gone to a regular dentist office or to dental clinics inside a hospital that have a dental residency program such as this one: https://www.rwjbh.org/for-healthcare...tal-residency/

the dentist usually has an assistant who suctions your mouth, hands instruments to the dentist etc during procedures such as root canals + getting cavities filled (in my experience). Since these dentists 'graduate' from the residency program and all the dental residents I've had in the past are quite young (in their 20's) I'm going under the assumption they are still in training. Plus many times during my visits they would have to get the advice of their ?advisor? on treatment plans and the like. Which I've never had a dentist in a private practice have to talk to an advisor to do any work. So they are in training, correct? And my concern is with my new dental resident telling the assistant he needs no help and chases her out of the room. That does make me a uncomfortable so I posted here asking what others think.

I started going to Penn University before COVID shut everything down. Since it's Philly, I won't chance going there yet. I'm not having fillings done, my teeth need pulled and dentures. I've been seeing the dental school clinic from where I sit in the prosthodontics chair. There are always 2 students when someone is getting dental work. On does the work, the other assists with the spit vac. I don't know what the normal is where you go. You may have to ask and if you prefer having the 2nd student there, say something when you sit down. That's a long time for one person to drill and remember to pay attention to the suction you need done.

I'm surprised that the actual dental teacher has not been to see what my student had done. I don't recall him even looking at the dentures he made me that I have not gotten yet even though the student was almost ready to graduate when I started seeing him. At Penn, the students learn how to make the full dentures, seems like they can go into all sorts of fields when they learn there. From what I hear, it will be a million dollar student loan. I don't know how anyone can qualify for that much student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health