Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2021, 12:52 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times

Advertisements

I'm currently 33 years old and have really bad gum recession that dentists have said my gums look like they belong to a much older person. I was going to this dentist before I lost my job and they gave me a night guard, a deep cleaning (I think it's also called scaling and root planing), and suggested I get a gum graft. I was only able to get a gum graft for a part of my mouth. They also brushed a film over my teeth to help prevent gum recession but I'm not sure how effective that might be. They wanted me to see them every 3 months for a cleaning, gave me an expensive mouth wash with essential oils and an expensive toothpaste that's supposed to help prevent cavities. I asked them if I should get a Water Pik and they said no.

After I lost my job, I went to a new dentist on medicaid and she gave me a pretty aggressive dental regime. She told me to floss my teeth after every meal, making sure to get all the plague between my teeth. I usually end up having to floss twice now to do that so I try and do it gently. I'm supposed to use a Water Pik at night, brush with my automatic brush and brush again manually. She also suggested rinsing with warm salt water but she didn't say how often. I read on the internet that doing it too often can reverse the benefits and cause tooth decay. I was doing it after every meal but I'll probably just replace my expensive mouthwash with this and do it once at night. I scheduled to get a deep cleaning with her but medicaid only covers that once a year. I don't have any cavities so maybe that expensive toothpaste is helping.

I thought her plan might be too aggressive but she said I need it to avoid getting a cleaning every 3 months, which was what the last dentist wanted me to do. Since I'm not paying my current dentist, I feel like I could probably trust her the most, but I can't help but wonder if the plan might be too aggressive. I wanted to add in oil pulling but it's hard to know if this all will be too much or the right thing to do until after the fact but I don't want to gamble with my teeth and gums. How would I know if this regime isn't too abrasive on my teeth? Does anybody with gum recession have a plan they've been using for a while that seems to help prevent further recession?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 11:44 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
I'm currently 33 years old and have really bad gum recession that dentists have said my gums look like they belong to a much older person. I was going to this dentist before I lost my job and they gave me a night guard, a deep cleaning (I think it's also called scaling and root planing), and suggested I get a gum graft. I was only able to get a gum graft for a part of my mouth. They also brushed a film over my teeth to help prevent gum recession but I'm not sure how effective that might be. They wanted me to see them every 3 months for a cleaning, gave me an expensive mouth wash with essential oils and an expensive toothpaste that's supposed to help prevent cavities. I asked them if I should get a Water Pik and they said no.

After I lost my job, I went to a new dentist on medicaid and she gave me a pretty aggressive dental regime. She told me to floss my teeth after every meal, making sure to get all the plague between my teeth. I usually end up having to floss twice now to do that so I try and do it gently. I'm supposed to use a Water Pik at night, brush with my automatic brush and brush again manually. She also suggested rinsing with warm salt water but she didn't say how often. I read on the internet that doing it too often can reverse the benefits and cause tooth decay. I was doing it after every meal but I'll probably just replace my expensive mouthwash with this and do it once at night. I scheduled to get a deep cleaning with her but medicaid only covers that once a year. I don't have any cavities so maybe that expensive toothpaste is helping.

I thought her plan might be too aggressive but she said I need it to avoid getting a cleaning every 3 months, which was what the last dentist wanted me to do. Since I'm not paying my current dentist, I feel like I could probably trust her the most, but I can't help but wonder if the plan might be too aggressive. I wanted to add in oil pulling but it's hard to know if this all will be too much or the right thing to do until after the fact but I don't want to gamble with my teeth and gums. How would I know if this regime isn't too abrasive on my teeth? Does anybody with gum recession have a plan they've been using for a while that seems to help prevent further recession?

What the 2nd dentist told you is spot on, although I'm not sure why she asked you to brush by hand after using the automatic. That seems unnecessary, as does flossing twice. If you do it right once there's no need to do either again, but once or twice this regime will control gum recession and pocketing. And depending on how well you do, you might still need cleanings more than twice a year.

I would avoid oil pulling unless she recommends it, which she won't.

Old 06-02-2021, 03:13 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
The waterpik issue with the previous dentist was because you had just gotten scaling and planing. They told me the same thing when they did that for me, but they also added I just had to wait a minimum of 30 days after they completed the second half of the procedure (I had it split into 2 sessions since it affected left and right sides of my mouth).

And then they GAVE me the waterpik with instructions to keep it gentle for the first 30 days of using it.

Of course, I ended up with bone recession and now need grafting, but that's not due to any lack of caution on the dentist's part. I'm 60 and have all my lower teeth, and a vehicular accident caused most of the problems with my upper teeth. So it's not unexpected. I have gum flap surgery plus grafting coming up next week to fix it all, hopefully.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:53 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
What the 2nd dentist told you is spot on, although I'm not sure why she asked you to brush by hand after using the automatic. That seems unnecessary, as does flossing twice. If you do it right once there's no need to do either again, but once or twice this regime will control gum recession and pocketing. And depending on how well you do, you might still need cleanings more than twice a year.

I would avoid oil pulling unless she recommends it, which she won't.
Okay, I wouldn't do oil pulling then. I think she probably didn't think I do a good job of flossing because she found food in my teeth even though I did floss after I ate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The waterpik issue with the previous dentist was because you had just gotten scaling and planing. They told me the same thing when they did that for me, but they also added I just had to wait a minimum of 30 days after they completed the second half of the procedure (I had it split into 2 sessions since it affected left and right sides of my mouth).

And then they GAVE me the waterpik with instructions to keep it gentle for the first 30 days of using it.

Of course, I ended up with bone recession and now need grafting, but that's not due to any lack of caution on the dentist's part. I'm 60 and have all my lower teeth, and a vehicular accident caused most of the problems with my upper teeth. So it's not unexpected. I have gum flap surgery plus grafting coming up next week to fix it all, hopefully.
That sucks, sorry to hear that. This was after I had the scaling and planing done for a while. I did have a gum graft and the instructions from the water pik said to ask my dentist if I've had gum surgery in the last 12 months, which I did, so maybe that was why. She also told me to take calcium since I do have bone loss.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:18 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
Okay, I wouldn't do oil pulling then. I think she probably didn't think I do a good job of flossing because she found food in my teeth even though I did floss after I ate.

Then she was right. You really need to step up your game if you don't want things to get worse.

Quote:
That sucks, sorry to hear that. This was after I had the scaling and planing done for a while. I did have a gum graft and the instructions from the water pik said to ask my dentist if I've had gum surgery in the last 12 months, which I did, so maybe that was why. She also told me to take calcium since I do have bone loss.

I wasn't considering the surgery in regards to the water pik, but it makes sense that you might want to go easy on that or not at all immediately after surgery

Old 06-05-2021, 05:29 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
The issue with medicaid is that it usually does not provide very comprehensive care. The new dentist may be giving you this regimen because medicaid will only pay for semi-annual visits. Gum recession runs in my family. I had 3 grafts by the time I was your age.

I was only on a 3-month plan for a year fairly recently because I moved and did not have a dentist for a year. My current dentist has recommended the water pik, but I have not used it. Most have recommended I use a Sonicare, so I have been using that for at least 10 years now. When they notice dry mouth, they also recommend that I use the Biotene or the Act for dry mouth. I’ve never heard of using an essential oil toothpaste.

My parents are in their mid-70s and now get super regular cleanings- like every 2-3 months. I think my mom was supposed to get grafts and really did not want to, so that’s why she is doing the regular cleanings. I am not sure about my dad. FWIW, with my regimen, I have not been recommended to get a graft for almost 10 years now, so that is really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health