Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2022, 07:44 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

My genetic teeth were bad....bad. I was a regular at the dentist since 12 years old: braces, cavities. When I was 15, I lost a front tooth due to falling on my face on a skateboard. I had an ugly silver front tooth crown for ages.

In the 80s, my dentist suggested veneers and a crown. thank god!

I am on my third set of veneers and crown. $2000 for each tooth my last time. I wish I was born with good teeth. alas, I wasn't, but glad there were/are dentists who could help me and i still have all my teeth!

I would never have chosen cosmetic dentistry if it wasn't necessary.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-28-2022 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 07:52 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
$2000 per tooth? For 28 teeth? That's $54,000 per set, per year. For half that you could get the finest porcelain-on-noble snap-in dentures available, which would last between 25 and 30 years, and replacements would cost around $5000 per set.

I totally understand forking over the money for the first set. But once that first set of veneers came off me, I went with a permanent bridge. That was less than $4000, and no veneers to peel off if a popcorn kernel gets stuck under a tiny chip in the corner (which is why my first set had to be replaced - chipping and popcorn kernels).

Old 07-29-2022, 09:58 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
$2000 per tooth? For 28 teeth? That's $54,000 per set, per year. For half that you could get the finest porcelain-on-noble snap-in dentures available, which would last between 25 and 30 years, and replacements would cost around $5000 per set.

I totally understand forking over the money for the first set. But once that first set of veneers came off me, I went with a permanent bridge. That was less than $4000, and no veneers to peel off if a popcorn kernel gets stuck under a tiny chip in the corner (which is why my first set had to be replaced - chipping and popcorn kernels).
snap in dentures are NOT a good replacement for your own teeth!

Old 07-30-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
snap in dentures are NOT a good replacement for your own teeth!
It depends on the condition of your own teeth. If you have bad teeth, whether by neglect or illness or genetics, and keep losing teeth, needing root canal after root canal, eventually it's more efficient and healthier for the bone to cut bait and run. Regular dentures are not a good alternative to constant invasion of your mouth by drills to repair bad teeth. But implant dentures can be a game changer for some people.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:26 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It depends on the condition of your own teeth. If you have bad teeth, whether by neglect or illness or genetics, and keep losing teeth, needing root canal after root canal, eventually it's more efficient and healthier for the bone to cut bait and run. Regular dentures are not a good alternative to constant invasion of your mouth by drills to repair bad teeth. But implant dentures can be a game changer for some people.
The OP didn't say that he needed root canal after root canal, did he? And I have NEVER heard of having root canals "over and over" the nerve is removed from the tooth, it doesn't grow back! There are times when a root canal has to be done over but that's the exception and it's not something you have to keep having done.
And you have completely overlooked the issue of the implant abutments loosening or failing. I have a mouth full of crowns and root canals, 3 years ago I had about 8 crowns replaced - they had held up for 30 years and my choice to replace them was purely cosmetic. I'm almost 76 and have all my teeth except for two that I lost when I was 25 and I have a permanent bridge over those. I don't have to have abutments cleaned or replaced or worry about broken over-dentures.

Snap on dentures are a good choice for people who need them but if you have teeth that can be treated and left intact keep them!

Old 08-03-2022, 01:56 PM

I didn't say "over and over" - I said root canal after root canal. If you have "bad teeth" it's likely you'll need a root canal. A year later - if you still have "bad teeth" you'll probably need a root canal on another tooth. You might need one on ANOTHER tooth 6 months after that, or maybe even 3 teeth in the same month. There are people who have really bad teeth. But some of those people can only afford one root canal procedure at a time. So they get "root canal after root canal"... until their mouth is mostly just a bunch of posts and crowns.

There are also some unscrupulous dental "factories" out there, that will recommend a root canal treatment when they aren't really necessary.

If someone has a full set of "bad teeth" then they very well might be "people who need them" (snap on dentures). If they are paying $2000 per tooth, for each tooth (except for the singular crown that gets replaced 3 times since the 1980's??) three times since the 1980's..then they're paying too much for what amounts to compromised teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health