Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2022, 01:22 PM

1 posts, read 760 times

Advertisements

Hi, this is my first post on here. I came here because,
I had six teeth filed down to prepare for a singular crown on my front bottom teeth. It was supposed to be on for three weeks but it has now been many more because I can’t get the gum inflammation down around the temporary crown. I brush regularly with an electric toothbrush (though growing up I didn’t brush well and am dealing with the repercussions of that), saltwater rinse a few times a day, and use a prescription mouthwash.

I recently had to extend my appointment again, and the stress over that and the stubborn gums resulted in me over brushing an area around the crown. No tooth is exposed but it is very sore with nerve pain as well, and now I don’t know how to effectively brush the area without either causing further damage or not healing the gums.

I have OCD and my teeth bring me heavy anxiety. Having this temporary crown trapped on, and all the swelling and pain, are giving me anxiety attacks. My dentist office is already frustrated with me because I end up working myself in every two weeks over some small dental problem that terrifies me, and I can’t afford to take the time and money off again to have yet another investigation.

How do I deal with the physical problem of the swelling and pain when nothing seems to be working and my gums are damaged; i.e. healing and substitution brushing techniques. I’m losing it right bow and my doctors have given me useless anxiety meds so this is a major focus.

Any (non-condescending) advice would be invaluable. I can’t replace my crown until the swelling is down.

Thank you,
James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 02:02 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
You may be your own worst enemy here. All the extra brushing and fussing you're doing may be repeatedly irritating the gum. Not to mention prolonging or actually retarding healing. Salt water can certainly help, but here are other home remedies that can also relieve gum pain. If your gums don't hurt that may help you ignore and leave them alone.

https://www.healthline.com/health/qu...ain#treatments

Clove oil (used correctly!) is a classic gum and tooth pain reliever.

Are you being treated for your OCD? Do you normally take any anti-anxiety meds other than the one the dentist gave you? Do you follow any sort of protocol to keep your OCD under control? Seems to me that's the bigger issue here. Getting that under better control could help you leave your gums alone. If the gum isn't being repeatedly irritated the inflammation should go down. Which means you can get your permanent crown placed and put the whole situation to bed.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-05-2022 at 03:18 PM..

Old 08-05-2022, 03:05 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Everything Parnassia said above. But also that prescription mouthwash is not intended for long-term use. You should probably either stop using it altogether, or cut it with a mixture of half mouthwash, half water.

Old 08-05-2022, 03:50 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
OP - speak to your dentist about the things you are doing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health