Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 03:20 AM

257 posts, read 165,592 times

Advertisements

I got to get a tooth or whats left of it pulled out and I don't feel like being told to take ibuprofin thats totally useless against vicious tooth ache pain.

That tooth acted up and the pain was so excruciating I thought about going to the ER but I knew they wouldn't help me and probably label me "drug seeker"

That last toothach was so awful. I took 7 advils or 1400 Mg out of desperation within a hour and wasted $18 on "anbesol maximum strength"

Anbesol is just a predatory scam, they know people are desperate and will hand over any amount of money AND they know that it doesnt do anything for a real toothach no matter how many times they write "maximum strength" on the package.

I returned it and got my money back.

Anyway, I took WAY to many advils

Results: We identified 73 cases of accidental acetaminophen poisoning and 201 therapeutic users. Fourteen accidental overdose patients and 4 therapeutic users reported using acetaminophen for dental pain. The adjusted odds ratio for accidental overdose due to dental pain compared with other reasons for use was 12.8 (95% confidence interval, 4.2-47.6).

Read more https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20951526/

Why the FDA is warning Americans about ibuprofen

https://www.bangordailynews.com › News

Jul 27, 2015 — They are estimated to cause at least 16,000 deaths per year and send 100,000 people to the emergency room in the U.S.

Ya I was almost one of them, had vicious toothache downing Advil because I know you cant real get pain relief anymore.

Its just awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 04:48 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,262,003 times
So... you took three times the recommended dose of Advil and it's THEIR fault? Clearly you can read and write.

Old 11-26-2022, 05:07 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Dentists fix the cause of your pain. They routinely prescribe OTC ibuprophen and acetaminophen, taken together, for after they fix the source of the pain.

Old 11-26-2022, 05:56 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post
I got to get a tooth or whats left of it pulled out and I don't feel like being told to take ibuprofin thats totally useless against vicious tooth ache pain.

That tooth acted up and the pain was so excruciating I thought about going to the ER but I knew they wouldn't help me and probably label me "drug seeker"

That last toothach was so awful. I took 7 advils or 1400 Mg out of desperation within a hour and wasted $18 on "anbesol maximum strength"

Anbesol is just a predatory scam, they know people are desperate and will hand over any amount of money AND they know that it doesnt do anything for a real toothach no matter how many times they write "maximum strength" on the package.

I returned it and got my money back.

Anyway, I took WAY to many advils

Results: We identified 73 cases of accidental acetaminophen poisoning and 201 therapeutic users. Fourteen accidental overdose patients and 4 therapeutic users reported using acetaminophen for dental pain. The adjusted odds ratio for accidental overdose due to dental pain compared with other reasons for use was 12.8 (95% confidence interval, 4.2-47.6).

Read more https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20951526/

Why the FDA is warning Americans about ibuprofen

https://www.bangordailynews.com › News

Jul 27, 2015 — They are estimated to cause at least 16,000 deaths per year and send 100,000 people to the emergency room in the U.S.

Ya I was almost one of them, had vicious toothache downing Advil because I know you cant real get pain relief anymore.

Its just awful.

I'm in the process of having all of my teeth pulled. I've been seeing an oral surgeon we've been using for 15 years. I don't have many full teeth in my mouth, most are broken at the gum line. I'd been going to a Philadelphia dental school when COVID hit. Their plan was to pull everything, then put my new dentures in. I saw the oral surgery department, they changed the plan to where they were going to pull them in stages that were not clear to me. I had to get my courage up to go back to speak to my main student dentist, then COVID closed everything.

My oral surgeon said it is better to let the gums heal before putting the dentures in, so that is the way I'm going to do it. I have an appointment with a regular dentist next week for dentures.

I started the extraction in October. The first extraction was my left side, about four teeth stubs, she had given me antibiotic plus 800MG ibuprofen which I can't take, I take four 200MG pills instead that have no effect on my stomach. She also gave me 5mg percocet that's mixed with Tylenol. She did the same when she removed seven a week ago. So far so good. I have an appointment next month to remove the last eight teeth with a few more stubs.

I suggest you find a good oral surgeon who will still prescribe percocet. They're out there. Call them up to inquire about extracting a tooth, say you are worried about having pain. See what they say they prescribe.

You can also join the NextDoor site, make a post asking for a recommendation for an decent oral surgeon. You can also go to Facebook, search for a local chat group for your town to post for recommendations for an oral surgeon to extract teeth.

Do you know any parents of teenagers or young adults? If you do, ask them if their child has gotten their wisdom teeth out yet. If they have ask what they gave them. They may or may not give percocet to teens unless the teen has some sort of issue.

Old 11-26-2022, 01:52 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootDiabetic View Post

Why would you think Anbesol would do anything about the underlying cause of a toothache? Its basically just benzocaine, a local anesthetic. Any pain relief will be temporary. Doesn't mean the product is a scam, its just limited. Your expectations were unrealistic. Not really different for someone who abuses ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin, or any other pain reliever hoping to get rid of a toothache. To get rid of a toothache you have to deal with the source: the tooth and/or its root. That requires a dentist. Procrastination tends to make everything worse.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-26-2022 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-27-2022, 06:25 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
OP you start your post admitting that you need the tooth PULLED.

Once it's out of your mouth, it will cease to hurt you. A tooth that is somewhere other than attached to your gum can't cause you pain, at all. Not even a little bit.

So get the tooth pulled, and take an ibuprofen with acetaminophen for the first day. By the second day it'll just be a general soreness, nothing unbearable, you won't even need the OTC meds.

Or, you can continue having a bad tooth that needs to be pulled and complain that you can't get opiates to treat the pain.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:38 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
OP- get the tooth pulled already. I dated a guy who basically got addicted to Vicodin because he refused to get a rotting tooth pulled for a few months (this was a good 15-20 years ago). I just didn’t get how becoming addicted to heavy duty painkillers is better than what’s likely to be like a 15-30 minute experience followed by a short recovery period.

Old 11-27-2022, 06:42 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Ditto on the anbesol, etc. It's just a temporary topical pain reliever, meant to be taken in conjunction with another pain reliver, like tylenol. Using it by itself is sort of like sucking on a lozenge and thinking it will make your sore throat go away.

Doctors and dentist still prescribe pain meds, they are just a lot more careful about it now. My son had some minor oral surgery done and whatever they gave him in the office must have been pretty good, he was totally loopy when he came out and then slept for hours afterward. They gave him a prescription for three pills, just three, for the worst of the pain when he came out of it. It was adequate.
It's not meant to entirely eliminate pain, it's meant to make the pain bearable.

Old 11-27-2022, 02:41 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's not meant to entirely eliminate pain, it's meant to make the pain bearable.
Or at least help you forget it!

Old 11-28-2022, 05:57 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
See the dentist twice a year to head off major issues that will cause you pain. Being diabetic you need to be especially careful. As others have said, you can get painkillers from a dentist but likely just for a few days max. Being scared of the dentist could be your biggest issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health