Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2022, 01:35 PM

200 posts, read 109,497 times

Advertisements

Last year, my first wisdom tooth started erupting. Now it is still not fully erupted. Why is it growing so late when I'm in my 30s? Does this mean that my skull has only now grown to its proper size? And does it mean that it will get bigger because I have at least 2 more wisdom teeth to grow? Or is it because I've been taking supplements with calcium and other minerals?

I don't want big or long jaws. Is there any way to stop them from growing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 02:16 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Please do your own research on this - many people in their 40's, 50's, 60's have had wisdom teeth erupt. No need to freak out.

Old 12-25-2022, 02:35 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Please do your own research on this - many people in their 40's, 50's, 60's have had wisdom teeth erupt. No need to freak out.
You can't stop them from erupting OP. Some people's wisdom teeth never erupt at all.

The eruption of your wisdom teeth won't change the size/length of your jaw! Just the opposite. If the size of your jaw (which is pre-determined before birth) is too short that can cause trouble for your wisdom teeth. It can prevent them from erupting normally, lead to crooked growth, bite distortion, crowding against other more important teeth, and pain.

If you are so worried about your wisdom teeth OP, have them pulled. For most people they aren't essential.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-25-2022 at 02:50 PM..

Old 12-25-2022, 02:53 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,256 times
It takes time to become wise.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You can't stop them from erupting OP. Some people's wisdom teeth never erupt at all.

The eruption of your wisdom teeth won't change the size/length of your jaw! Just the opposite. If the size of your jaw (which is pre-determined before birth) is too short that can cause trouble for your wisdom teeth. It can prevent them from erupting normally, lead to crooked growth, bite distortion, crowding against other more important teeth, and pain.

If you are so worried about your wisdom teeth OP, have them pulled. For most people they aren't essential.
I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't erupted at all, than they did so late.

I don't want to pull them out because it's very painful and very scary. I only had 3 wisdom teeth on the scan. I was really hoping that they wouldn't erupt and stay in the gum.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:20 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,654,173 times
I visit the dentist regularly. In my early 30's my dentist at the time would look at my xrays and say, "you should get your wisdom teeth removed." My response was always, they aren't bothering me so I don't see the need. Until one day they did. It seemed all were on the move at once and 3 were impacted. That means that between my jawbone and the neighboring teeth, there was no room for the wisdom teeth to emerge.

To say that,"hurt like he!!" would be a gross understatement. I now understood why my dentist was telling me to get them removed on my schedule. She could see it coming. As it was, I suffered two very painful days before I could get in to get them removed. As perverse as it sounds, I was so glad once they were out.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I visit the dentist regularly. In my early 30's my dentist at the time would look at my xrays and say, "you should get your wisdom teeth removed." My response was always, they aren't bothering me so I don't see the need. Until one day they did. It seemed all were on the move at once and 3 were impacted. That means that between my jawbone and the neighboring teeth, there was no room for the wisdom teeth to emerge.

To say that,"hurt like he!!" would be a gross understatement. I now understood why my dentist was telling me to get them removed on my schedule. She could see it coming. As it was, I suffered two very painful days before I could get in to get them removed. As perverse as it sounds, I was so glad once they were out.
I don't know how to suffer pain. Sometimes I scream before I even feel pain, just out of fear that it will hurt.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:12 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,654,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
I don't know how to suffer pain. Sometimes I scream before I even feel pain, just out of fear that it will hurt.

They can put you out under anesthesia. You won't feel a thing while they remove it. They'll prescribe painkillers for afterwards.

For me, it hurt more before getting them pulled than after.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
They can put you out under anesthesia. You won't feel a thing while they remove it. They'll prescribe painkillers for afterwards.

For me, it hurt more before getting them pulled than after.
My wisdom tooth don't hurt yet. And I feel more pain than the average person. I once had a tooth treatment and had to get 3 injections before I stopped feeling it. The doctor thinks it may have been an injury that caused me to develop such sensitivity. When I was 15 I was in a car accident where I hit my head very hard and broke my neck. I still have hypersensitivity in the back of my head.

Old 06-11-2023, 11:46 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitori View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't erupted at all, than they did so late.

I don't want to pull them out because it's very painful and very scary. I only had 3 wisdom teeth on the scan. I was really hoping that they wouldn't erupt and stay in the gum.
Most extractions of wisdom teeth arent painful afterwards if the dentist has learnt the newer techniques.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health