Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 12:56 PM

733 posts, read 406,849 times

Advertisements

I agree teeth are very important. I can’t image digesting yesterday’s breakfast as being healthy for the stomach. Floss and brush those snappers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2023, 04:15 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
There's still a genetic component at play, when it comes to teeth and cavities.

If you have the "right genes" you can literally eat all the sugar you want and get no cavities, where as someone with the "wrong genes" can literally eat no sugar and still get cavities, in the end it is what it is!
When I was in my 20s, dental techs filled in all of my molars with fillings, at that time, it was explained to me that my genetics gave me very deep crevasses in my crowns. By their policies whenever a pick tool could be inserted and get stuck in the crevasses on a crown they were required to drill it out and pack it with filling. It was not about tooth decay, but rather the formation of my crowns.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:40 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor987 View Post
bacterially fermented veggies
PLEASE CITE SOME EXAMPLES
I mean, you could just google this, but kimchi and sauerkraut are the two that most people think of.

Old 09-24-2023, 04:55 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I mean, you could just google this, but kimchi and sauerkraut are the two that most people think of.
I just got home from spending the weekend at our local Ag Fair. I coordinate a speakers' tent at our fair. this weekend I hosted multiple food judging events. One food judging event was 'Lacto-Fermented foods'. We had 40 entries of various types of 'bacteria' fermented foods.

Old 09-28-2023, 01:54 PM

81 posts, read 46,215 times
Quote:
Even if you do everything right, genetics can screw up the best laid plans. That doesn't mean you should just reject good oral hygiene. It just means you'll need more help than just doing "all the right things".
When I look back and add up money I paid for crowns, fillings, root canals, well, I could buy a nice car for that amount. No, I don't fancy eating sweets, never did, and I do take care of my teeth, brushing, flossing, mouthwash etc.

My husband brushes about 10 seconds, doesn't use mouthwash, doesn't do any cleanings at dentist's office, and yet he has zero crowns and about 5 fillings.

Regarding dental work I'm going to say that prices in USA are ridiculous. We have friends going to Mexico to have dental work done. Former coworker takes his entire family to Philippines and another friend had a dentist in Germany. Even with tickets and a hotel, it's still cheaper to have it done abroad.

Old 09-28-2023, 02:11 PM

10,985 posts, read 6,852,461 times
The thing about going to Mexico is that you have to pay cash, unless I'm mistaken. Some people have that ability, others don't. I'm grateful for my individual dental plan that costs only $42/month and now that I've been with it more than 3 years (actually 7 years now) it is really worth it. I'm in the middle of getting a lot of dental work done and my share is only $900. (My plan is 80/20.) I'm glad I decided to stick it out until 3 yrs and beyond. It's also a vision and hearing plan but I haven't used that part. The downside is that the limit is $1500/yr so if you need more than one part of the insurance, it isn't possible.

I said upthread that I once had group insurance from an employer many years ago (1991). It was a totally crap policy that wouldn't even allow for a crown. Huge, wealthy law firm "group" policy. A few years later that necessary crown blew up into a root canal for which I had to pay out of pocket because I had moved on from that employer. That's another reason I'm grateful for my current policy. $42/mo is frittered away by many people who say they can't afford it.

Old 10-26-2023, 01:36 PM

204 posts, read 134,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have previously read articles about medical research looking at dental infections. Some infections located in the roots are NOT combated by antibiotics in our blood system, they are protected in some manner. A person could have an infected tooth, that 'leaks' infection into the circulatory system giving you a long list of possible diseases. Treatment with antibiotics might clean up things, but it will return so long as the original infection continues to exist. From what I remember reading the only way to rid the body of such an infection was to remove the infected tooth.

A lot of older folks have no teeth. My grandparents [all four] had no teeth by the time that I came along, and my parents did too. As far as I am aware I am the first generation in my bloodline to have retained all teeth into my 60s.

I assume that the primary method of avoiding this issue is oral hygiene, though I am not certain if that is correct.
I am certain it is not correct. My mother practiced good oral hygiene. It didn't help her teeth. Fortunately my parents had dental insurance and she could afford root canals and crowns.

And seeing as how Medicare will not even pay for removal of infected or broken teeth, how is any senior on a low fixed income expected to pay out of pocket for extractions?

Old 10-26-2023, 06:51 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
"Why single out dentistry? Other specialties could do the same in order to line their pockets!"

I don't doubt that, but I don't see dentistry as a specialty. There's a serious disconnect in the medical profession on this, and it's been that way for decades. Teeth are necessary, period. Dental health is a huge factor in one's health, and bad teeth can cause a cascade effect of problems w/ other parts of the body. Dental infections are a serious problem too. All insurance should fully cover dental health.
Teeth are not necessary. You can eat, breathe, drink, and talk without teeth. What is necessary is having whatever teeth you do have, in good condition. Having dental health is important only if you have teeth. Bad teeth can cause a cascade of problems with other parts of the body. However, a mouth with no teeth at all cannot cause that cascade.

Old 10-26-2023, 09:13 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
I think in the old days water was not fluoridated and people had more dental problems.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:48 AM

10,985 posts, read 6,852,461 times
My mother was born in Portland Oregon in the 1920s and grew up there. I can remember her joking about Portland being a "Dentist's Haven" because a lot of the natives there had bad teeth because of the soft water. Obviously there was no fluoridation back then. When I lived in Portland in the early 2000s there was a big debate about whether or not the water should be fluoridated.

I myself have been blessed with pretty good teeth. I'm a senior on a fixed income. I'm currently having a bunch of work done. My share was $900 which I financed. I just had a tooth extracted 2 weeks ago in preparation for a bridge and 2 crowns (replacements). I pay $42/mo. for an individual plan dental insurance.

It is possible to get your teeth worked on if you so choose. Of course 80% coverage comes after 3 years. The first year is covered 60%, 2nd yr 70%. I was fortunate to be able to wait 3 years before getting a bunch of work done, so my share was only 20%.

My mother lost all her teeth by the time she was 40. I remember growing up seeing her without her dentures in. No way would I ever want that. Even with just this one big hole currently in my mouth that is healed, it's still somewhat difficult to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health