U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,217 times

Advertisements

ok my daughters teeth have been hurting and i think she has an overbite whatshould i do? the dentist hasn't siad anything about braces but i think she needs them. should i ask him about them?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:21 PM

951 posts, read 1,416,632 times
How old is she? If she is young, she should be seeing a pediatric dentist. By the time she's 8 or 9, she should get refered to an orthodontist. That's the person to talk to. Her teeth probably hurt because some are coming in and some are going out. My daughter had 12 teeth pulled (4 adult and eight baby), so your daughter may be experiencing major teething problems. Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:28 PM

335 posts, read 972,221 times
At this age Orthodontists will generally say No. It is customary to allow a child to lose their baby teeth and wait for the perm teeth to come in so the Orto can get a clear picture as to what the issue is and the best way to deal with it regarding "Braces"

Old 06-02-2008, 07:49 PM

951 posts, read 1,416,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD70 View Post
At this age Orthodontists will generally say No...
We still don't know what age the child is.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:53 PM

335 posts, read 972,221 times
True, I looked at the post again and realized she did not post an age. However 11 or 12 is the youngest I have seen for braces unless there are some serious issues.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:15 PM

790 posts, read 3,826,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teethgirlygirl54 View Post
ok my daughters teeth have been hurting and i think she has an overbite whatshould i do? the dentist hasn't siad anything about braces but i think she needs them. should i ask him about them?
I'd be more concerned about the teeth pain that she is experiencing rather than whether or not she needs braces.
Is she clenching and/or grinding her teeth at night?
For this problem a night guard is in order. This prevents the clenching and grinding and it takes a short time to get used to wearing it and doesn't interfere with sleep. I actually sleep better since using the night guard.
And, if she is clenching/grinding her teeth i'd also be concerned about why a young person is experiencing the kind of anxiety and tension that leads to teeth grinding. You may want to explore that if i may say.
And why isn't her dentist giving you answers about her pain?
Perhaps it's time to look for a better dentist? If she's having pain in her teeth and the dentist isn't immediately addressing the issue, i'd be concerned and looking for a new dentist.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:48 PM

308 posts, read 1,523,723 times
Um, IF she does have bruxism (grinding teeth) and it's going on at night, then anxiety is not necessarily the culprit.

Your daughter's teeth could be hurting for a number of reasons. It's hard to tell with the limited amount of information given in your post. As others have suggested, this needs to be taken up with your daughter's dentist if it's not been done already. If he's not addressing it, then you may need to find another dentist for her.

As for the overbite, many people have overbites and they are not corrected. It depends upon the degree of the overbite and if it's causing any other problems. This is something that should also be addressed with her dentist if it is a matter of concern. Once again, as others have already mentioned, braces are something that many dentists/orthodontists will not consider until a certain age but you should at least discuss it with them so you have some idea of what to expect and when to expect it.

G'luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
Um, IF she does have bruxism (grinding teeth) and it's going on at night, then anxiety is not necessarily the culprit.

Your daughter's teeth could be hurting for a number of reasons. It's hard to tell with the limited amount of information given in your post. As others have suggested, this needs to be taken up with your daughter's dentist if it's not been done already. If he's not addressing it, then you may need to find another dentist for her.

As for the overbite, many people have overbites and they are not corrected. It depends upon the degree of the overbite and if it's causing any other problems. This is something that should also be addressed with her dentist if it is a matter of concern. Once again, as others have already mentioned, braces are something that many dentists/orthodontists will not consider until a certain age but you should at least discuss it with them so you have some idea of what to expect and when to expect it.

G'luck!
I'm interested to know what, other than anxiety/internal stress, causes someone to grind and/or clench their teeth.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:22 PM

308 posts, read 1,523,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
I'm interested to know what, other than anxiety/internal stress, causes someone to grind and/or clench their teeth.
Although anxiety/stress can potentially be the cause of bruxism (which is typically diagnosed as a sleep disorder), it is not the only/sole cause of it. Bruxism can be a "side effect" of other disorders, due to the alignment (or rather mis-alignment) of teeth/jaw, a side effect of various medications, due to various processes that occur during sleep (related to neurotransmitter activity), etc.

If one is grinding their teeth during the day, then yes, it's probably due to stress, anxiety, etc. At night? Then the cause may not be quite so clear.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramour View Post
Although anxiety/stress can potentially be the cause of bruxism (which is typically diagnosed as a sleep disorder), it is not the only/sole cause of it. Bruxism can be a "side effect" of other disorders, due to the alignment (or rather mis-alignment) of teeth/jaw, a side effect of various medications, due to various processes that occur during sleep (related to neurotransmitter activity), etc.

If one is grinding their teeth during the day, then yes, it's probably due to stress, anxiety, etc. At night? Then the cause may not be quite so clear.
Oh, o.k., that's interesting. Thank you. I wonder why mis-alignment would be a cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health