Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:57 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,634,243 times

Advertisements

I also had four healthy teeth pulled to make room for braces. In my case it was the upper and lower premolars on either side. Those are the ones immediately behind the canines. It wasn't fun, but I can't say it impacted my appearance, as those teeth aren't normally visible when you smile anyway. Once the orthodontics was done, the gap was closed completely.

As far as teeth moving around an unfilled gap, I did have to have one of my upper incisors pulled later (which wasn't related to having braces) and my teeth have not shifted in spite of the fact that I haven't had the hole filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:24 AM

355 posts, read 1,376,398 times
anyone here have their teeth filed as well after or during braces? such as ipr, which is an alternative to extractions in which they shave off minute amounts of enamel??

Old 09-24-2008, 09:32 PM

325 posts, read 2,994,883 times
Shaving enamel and pulling teeth are very common to orthodontics. In the great, great majority of cases everything turns out just fine. When things go wrong, it's not usually associated with pulling or shaving teeth. It is also very common for teeth to move if you don't wear your retainer (or get a bonded retainer).

Old 09-25-2008, 05:58 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,989 times
I didn;t read all the other poster's info, but I will tell you about our experience.

My daughter is 7 and has NO room in her mouth for her permanent teeth. She only has the 2 front ones on top and they are overlapping on top of each other. The dentist that we consulted with suggested a palate expander. He said that it is very "old school" to insist on pulling teeth in children to make more room. It can lead to sunken cheeks and is only used as a last resort these days. While I was hesitant to get an orthodontic device for such a young child, we decided that we were comfortable with his diagnosis. He is very young, recently out of dental school and this does seem to be the new trend. Also, I like that the palate expander is undo-able, whereas pulling permanent teeth would be... well, permanent. She has had the expander for about a month and will be wearing it for at least a year. It has made such a difference already! She never complains about pain, though it is a little uncomfortable. It is pretty expensive ($950) and our insurance doesn't cover it. She is already starting to feel more confident about her smile, so to me it is worth it.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:07 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Our daughter had a very small palate.........Baby teeth were pulled to make room, and she has gorgeous teeth now. The braces worked to line everything up.
Our other daughter had 8 baby teeth pulled at 16! They just would not exit.........
The braces then worked well with another function done to drag down the eye teeth( they would not come into place)
A fantastic smile she has........
I don't know about the new contraption, but the old way worked quite well.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 31,489 times
My 8 year old daughter is getting braces and the orthodontist recommends pulling 2 upper baby teeth to make room. Will she only need the baby teeth extracted or will she need oral surgery to remove the permanent teeth as well? Can someone let me know, worried Mom.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:01 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Cristell View Post
My 8 year old daughter is getting braces and the orthodontist recommends pulling 2 upper baby teeth to make room. Will she only need the baby teeth extracted or will she need oral surgery to remove the permanent teeth as well? Can someone let me know, worried Mom.
You answered your own question. You said "the orthodontist recommends pulling 2 upper baby teeth to make room."

What prompted you to ask if they'd need to remove permanent teeth in addition to baby teeth, when the ortho already told you he recommends only two baby teeth?

Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Hi my 11 year old daughter needs braces and the ortho says that she needs 2top and 2 bottom teeth removed to make room.. i've never heard of this and after reading on the internet about it alot of people say to get 2nd opinion. alot of dentist dont want to take the time to fix the teeth that are already there. so now if i do get it done wont she have spaces in her mouth until braces get put on?with school starting and all i dont want her to look funny.
anyone else experience this?
deb
nj

I had to have my eye teeth removed, but only to expose the extra pair I had. They exposed the teeth that were in my gums and put brackets on them to slowly pull them down (I had three sets of eye teeth). The dentist/orthodontist said my back molars were not there so I wouldn't have to worry about pulling any other teeth to make room. Luckily since I didn't have the molars when my wisdom teeth came in I didn't have to have them removed.

It never hurts to get a second opinion.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
I had braces back in the 1960s. The orthodontist recommended pulling some teeth, but my mother refused.

My upper teeth are OK, though they have shifted a little. My bottom teeth have shifted and overlap noticeably. All 4 wisdom teeth were impacted and removed when I was 16.

If there is not enough room in the jaw, something has to be done, either expand the available space or remove permanent teeth so less room is needed. I would have had better long term results if a few teeth had been removed.

Removing baby teeth is no big deal. That opens space for the permanent teeth before they have a chance to grow in crooked.

My teeth were awfully crooked before the braces, and paying for them was not easy for my folks. I really appreciated being able to smile without covering my mouth when it was all over!

Usually, the orthodontist does not do the extractions, so there is no financial gain for him to recommend it. Oral surgeons do a lot of them, and many use nitrous oxide. It should not be traumatic for the child.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 31,261 times
I had 4 teeth pulled for braces when I was 16. The pulling was just done with novocain and the dentist had to wrestle to get them out but I didn't feel a thing. The assistant was shocked and asked if I was o.k. My teeth are nice and straight. Later, I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed. Here's the thing. I don't think anyone involved was concerned about the effect it would have on the overall structure, especially the oral surgeon with the wisdom teeth. I'm not sure he considered the fact that 4 of my teeth were already gone. He just wanted to pull away. I am now minus eight teeth and am 24 years older. I have some pain in my jaw now and then and if I lose another tooth, I think I'm screwed. I won't have enough support for my jaws and the dental work will be very expensive if and when that happens. I think I'd rather have slightly crooked teeth (they weren't very bad to begin with) and just have had the wisdoms removed had I a choice to do over again. Then I could weather an old-person bad tooth experience later in life. Or, my parents could have insisted that the orthodontist work without removing teeth or get a second opinion. Someone mentioned in a prior post that pulling teeth for orthodontics was old school. I believe that if there is serious crowding as some people mentioned, that it is necessary. However, I think in my case the orthodontist just wanted an easier job and had them yank away for his own convenience. That was probably common, back then. PARENTS, GO THE EXTRA STEP FOR YOUR CHILDREN AND FIND OUT EXACTLY WHY PERMANENT TEETH NEED TO BE REMOVED. I WANT MINE BACK!

Last edited by terrapin52; 06-15-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health