Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 10:12 AM
xdr3jq2cw

n/a posts

Advertisements

This is an interesting thread. I am facing a possible return to the dentist and decided before I call I would google for a bit. This is what I came to and I am so happy to find similar posts concerning this change in dentistry methods.

Here is my 2cents. In August of 2005 I am pretty sure I had my first bad reaction to the topic of this post. I called up a dentist in town that I had been to years before, and a new dentist had taken over ect ect. SO I went in and told him I would like my upper wisdom teeth removed.

Years before I had x rays done and this was determined to be a future course of action should I start to feel the wisdom teeth coming in.
And so they were, So I made an appointment with the last dentist I had been to in town years before for an extraction, and made arrangment for a local only because I had no one to drive me.

so I was the first appointment on a Monday morning (which by my calculations would prove to give me the best possible outcome for a good experience, as the staff had the weekend to relax, and would be fresh in the morning).

I climbed in the chair, got comfortable and waited for the injections. The dentist was having some sort of battle of wills with the dental hygienist over me, as he was waving the needle around, and then he injected me. I felt very very funny, then sweat started pouring down my brow, my hearing faded, I lost my sight and slumped over in the dental chair, then slid out of the chair and fell on the ground.

Next thing I know I am on the concrete floor of the dental office coming to, they helped my up, brought to another room, I still did not have sight. I could hear what was going on around me though, I was being shuffled to the room and given a wet cloth, asked if I was ok, if I had ever had a reaction like this before ect ect.

I had not, in the past 15 years of monthly dental/orthodonist work, ever experienced this in the past. I was there a good half hour before my sight began to return, an hour before I was able to drive myself the 12 miles home. I never went back in anywhere for that and my wisdom teeth stopped coming in after another month or so. I wont be getting my wisdom teeth out.

I did not return to any dentist for about 2 years, and when I did I returned to a new dentist out of town from where I live. I had several things done with him, the last 2 appointments were with the new epi-and I had about everything you all have posted here during the procedures.

I had an extraction of a prior root canal removed in 2008 and it was 2.5 hours because the tooth kept braking off inside the gum. It got quite barbarric in the end. And although I am thankful to have be rid of that tooth I just don't know If I am willing to go through that again.

Thank you for sharing, the information is the key to the understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 21,386 times
went to the dentist for a barbaric procedure called a crown legnthining--they numbed the gum area up with (something with epinephrine --I asked for the exact medication and they wouldnt tell me but will let me know next visit) I have had numbing meds before for a root canal and I do remember it always making me feel a little anxious and loopy but nothing like this has ever happened before. Immediately after the injections into my gum, the dental hygenist asked me to sign some forms while the meds were numbing my gums and when i reached for the pen--my hands felt extremely heavy and i suddenly felt very strange. I asked her if I looked pale and she said no. My heart began racing like crazy --she went for the dentist and I was flipping out. She asked if she wanted me to call 911 and I said "somebody better DO something!!!"--since there is a hospital right up the road I was ready to get in my car and drive myself! They stopped me, called an ambulance and put me back in the chair with my feet elevated and then --THEY LEFT ME ALONE!!! While in the chair, my heart went from racing like Secretariat to feeling like it was trying to leave my chest. The last time anything kicked me that hard from the inside of my body I was pregnant!! And this was one of my organs and not a separate human!!!! I flew out of the chair and ran down the hall. The EMS guys showed up my BP was 134/85 which is high for me. I will be 50 next month, Im NOT overweight at all and never have been, I dont smoke, I ride a bike and exercise. I would consider myself a healthy person. They tried to convince me that this was a panic attack. The EMTS said I was fine and we went ahead with the dental surgery (by the way I would NEVER recommend this --its called a crown legnthening) Well its 3 days postop and I have to follow up with my primary doctor. I still feel VERY week and I get tired easily!! Beware of dental meds --short of dialing 911--they are not prepared for reactions to medications.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
It sounds to me exactly like a panic attack. Maybe next time you need dental work, ask for mild sedation, or nitrous oxide during the procedure. And, 134/85 might be high for you, but it isn't the kind of blood pressure spike you'd see in someone having a heart attack, or angina attack, or any kind of serious medical problem. It -is- the kind of spike you'd see in someone having a panic attack though.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 21,318 times
with every visit to the dentist, i usually have novocaine, about 3 shots, before a procedure could be done. today, the dentist gave me 3 shots with no numbness. then my bladder became restless and i had to go. next thing, my heart was racing, my knees shaking, hand tremulous and my voice sounded like i was about to have a nervous breakdown. for a second, i thought of canceling the procedure. the hygienist offered a drink of water with help a little. i asked my dentist if there was something different with the anesthesia. he said, there was epinephrine this time. we waited for a few more minutes and when i was calmer, that's when he gave me 'the usual' novocaine, 2 shots, and the procedure went well. i think it's the prayers that made me calm and go through with the procedure without the fear of dying on the chair.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:51 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,960,523 times
I specifically ask for no ephi in my novicanes becuase I have cardiac issues and the last thing I need is to flatline over a fillin, know what I mean jelly bean? Just always remember to ask for no ephi.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 22,296 times
Dentist accidently stuck my tongue with an epinephrine injection two weeks ago before removing one tooth. Today he was scheduled to remove 2 more teeth, and he accidently got the epinephrine injection into my blood stream by hitting a vein and my heart began racing fiercely, and my body trembled. I felt nauseous and light headed - almost faint. Now I have all 3 teeth out, and have to go back to have a partial denture put in when and if it is approved by the insurance company. The dentist needed his assistant in with him for suctioning and she was on the phone - he called her in 2X and she yelled, I'm trying to get you new patients, and she continued to give directions on the phone while standing in the room. Once she hung up, he had to call her for the third time stating that he really needed her skills at suctioning. She gloved up and finally did it. She has an 'attitude' and he seems not assertive enough to take control of his staff. hmmmmm....I did mention to him that when I was an EMT we had a call to a oral surgeon's office and the patient had stopped breathing and he had her on nasal canula at 2 liters of O2. We had to resusitate her. It hit me after I left the office that we are all mortals. People make mistakes. We could die at any time from accidents, negligence, inexperienced doctors, etc. My insurance is not taken by most doctors. I only get mimimal care from it. We should still check credentials and not settle for the first dentist or doctor who we see. I am going to lay down and rest and make sure this gauze doesn't get stuck down my throat if I fall asleep.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 42,020 times
I had a terrible reaction to Septocaine on Monday. I received three shots for work on my upper teeth. It took 12 hours for the numbness to go away, and another two days for the HUGE amount of swelling in my upper lip to subside. Now I have the loose tissue from the blisters in my mouth to deal with and raw tissue above my teeth. Anyone know of someone else who's had this kind of reaction? I have to go back next week for more work, and I'm terrified of further anesthesia.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:21 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
It sounds more like the result of the work itself, not the result of the anasthesia. Neither epinephrine nor articaine hydrochloride cause those types of reactions (Septocaine contains both, in the USA). If the work you had done, involved "etching" the enamel (stripping it with acid, which allows for a better bond with acrylic veneers), then it's very possible that a little of the acid got onto the tissue and you're experiencing some fallout from that. If that's the case, let the dentist know, he'll probably recommend a salt water rinse, soft foods, and avoid letting the toothbrush touch that area for a couple of days so it has a chance to heal.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:06 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,600,707 times
It's been so useful to read this thread and learn that what has happened to me with epinephrine isn't unique to me!

Ever since I fainted in the Dentist's chair after an epi filled shot about 6 years ago I try to make absolutely sure the Dentist doesn't use epi in my numbing shots.

However it is irritating that I always have to keep reminding him not to use epi, even in the middle of a procedure when he has to give another shot. One time he forgot, gave me a shot, and I started to go black again. "Was there epinephrin in that shot?" I asked, when I recovered. "Only a little bit," he said. Can you believe it!!!!!!!

I think Dentists prefer to use epi because numbing occurs more slowly when they use the other chemical, and they don't want to screw up their timing with the assembly line of patients they usually have going.

When I told a general practitioner who was taking my medical history that I had once had a bad reaction to epinephrin use at the Dentist's, he said "You probably fainted because of fear, not because of the epinephrin."

And THAT is exactly why I go to doctors as rarely as possible.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 42,020 times
Thanks for the responses to my post. I see an allergist tomorrow to determine what I am and am not allergic to. Will proceed with seating of veneers when I know it is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health