Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,289 times

Advertisements

My Mother died from Flesh-eating bacteria (Necrotizing Fasciitis) after having a crown lengthening procedure on one tooth. This is where they remove a bit of the gumline surrounding a tooth so the crown will fit better. Before this procedure, Mother was in excellent health. She was not premedicated; however, the Periodontist gave her a prescription for antibiotics afterward. Within hours, she developed excruciating pain (which Periodontist said was "normal"), a low-grade fever, chills (which he also said was "normal") and was advised to take two Advil for pain every four hours. The Advil did not help! The next day, she was in even worse condition and was taken to the Emergency Room. She had swelling and redness from her jaw, down her neck, down her chest and arms, she kept clearing her throat because it was swelling and this was soon diagnosed as Group A Strep Flesh-eating bacteria. She was on life support hours later and remained on life support for 61 days until all of her organs failed. I wish she had been premedicated. Her untimely death occurred because of this dental procedure. I will always take antibiotics before a procedure and I am panicked about having to get deep cleaning (scaling and root planing done) which I am told I need. It is a nightmarish situation.

Last edited by J_Hall62; 05-15-2012 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: left out details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 11:38 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,693,646 times
Infection is a risk of ALL surgeries. Antibiotics are -not- recommended -prior- to surgery, unless the patient has a history of complications OR is known as an "at-risk" patient (such as, if the patient has heart problems).

Taking antibiotics every time you have any dental procedure increases your risk of antibiotic resistance. That means that eventually, your body will no longer respond to antibiotics and when you -need- them to combat infection, they won't work.

People should take antibiotics only when there is a known medical need and not as a precaution to some phantom illness existing as a result of fear.

I'm sorry for your mother's loss, but it was not due to neglect UNLESS the doctor knew there was a pre-existing risk or history, and failed to take the necessary medical precautions. Edited to add: or if the doctor failed to properly sterilize his instruments.

Group A strep with necrotizing fascitis is most commonly seen in people who have compromised immune systems. It's very possible your mom had an immune system weakness that had gone undetected, and this unfortunate incident occurred as a result. That doesn't mean someone was at fault.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:18 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,693,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterharis View Post
It is must to take antibiotics before go for dental cleaning. it may be more likely to have a bad response if they create heart problems after a oral visit.
This is deceiving and mostly untrue. Only very specific patients need antibiotics prior to cleaning. Patients with known heart problems, people whose natural immunity to infection is low, patients with prior history of complications. Average ordinary people who go in for cleanings do not need antibiotics and in fact, taking them will lower their resistance to antibiotics in the future, putting them at risk for complications from infection that they wouldn't have had, if they didn't take the antibiotics in the first place.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:17 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,191,537 times
Total Knee Replacement patients as well, are told to take antibiotics before any dental work.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:49 PM

110 posts, read 211,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Total Knee Replacement patients as well, are told to take antibiotics before any dental work.
Depends on when you had artificial joints placed. I think the ADA recommends 2 years when the joints were placed then after that you don't need to take them anymore, but dentists usually want to consult with their doctors first.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,375 times
Please for helpful advise. Both my lower wisdom teeth were extracted 4 years ago. One impacted on tooth in front that tooth was affected. The dentist left it saying it would be fine. Prior to and after the surgery, foul smells and taste of blood and/or rotten food would emanate from the depth in my gums immediately behind my back teeth. I am very hygienic. I brush at least twice per day, floss and use mouthwash twice per day. I even put mouthwash in my waterpik reservoir and irrigate the problem locals intensely yet all it takes seemingly minutes after eating something for this problem of food particles and the bad odor to return. If I can taste and smell it, the obvious signs of recipients putting there finger under their nose when I speak is unbearable. I need good advise. I am becoming more reclusive. Thanks

Old 08-16-2015, 09:35 PM

373 posts, read 480,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I am getting a 'deep' cleaning done by my dentist/hygenist in about two weeks. It is where they numb the mouth and get the plaque that is below the gum line.
Now, I hesitate to make this my point of reference but....I remember watching NYPD Blue where Jimmy Smits charector died due to an infection caused by this type of cleaning. I know, I know...ridiculous, right?
Still I asked the dental hygenist that will be doing the actual cleaning about getting an antibiotic prior to the cleaning and she said that it was only necessary if I had an immunity problem. I don't, but I have been the recipient of the one in a million side effect of past surgery so I tend to be a little skeptical about the odds being so low as to not effect me.

OK, am I being a hypochondriac? Should I ask for the antibiotic anyway? Any and all advice deeply appreciated!
NO.
Exceptions are few: if you have a biological heart valve, uncorrected valve problem, transplant patient, etc.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:13 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,765,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzadude View Post
Please for helpful advise. Both my lower wisdom teeth were extracted 4 years ago. One impacted on tooth in front that tooth was affected. The dentist left it saying it would be fine. Prior to and after the surgery, foul smells and taste of blood and/or rotten food would emanate from the depth in my gums immediately behind my back teeth. I am very hygienic. I brush at least twice per day, floss and use mouthwash twice per day. I even put mouthwash in my waterpik reservoir and irrigate the problem locals intensely yet all it takes seemingly minutes after eating something for this problem of food particles and the bad odor to return. If I can taste and smell it, the obvious signs of recipients putting there finger under their nose when I speak is unbearable. I need good advise. I am becoming more reclusive. Thanks
Yes you need good advise. Which is best obtained from the dentist who did your surgery instead of strangers on the internet. Too much bad advice flying around here as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health