Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:04 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,245,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I would not go back to him. Just research online and I think you'll see that there are many natural cures for your problem. I'd try all natural remedies first. If that didn't work, I'd go see Dr. Fleming, in Durham. He's a dentist that uses natural procedures as much as possible.
best,
toodie
While I'm all for getting second opinions, I think it's pretty awful advice to tell someone to ignore the advice of trained medical professionals and "just research online". If you could learn everything doctors and dentists know by googling, I'd have a white coat, a stethoscope, and a larger salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:19 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccall View Post
If you have 6mm pockets, then you have "Severe" Periodontal disease. It is likely that the biofilm and goop that had accumulated on those roots were insulating the tooth from air. Now that the tooth is smooth and not insulated, it hurts to air!! Try some anti-sensitivity toothpaste and/or some really high concentration fluoride (5000ppm), and try to ignore people like the post above me.

Hang in there. This is a serious disease that did not grow to this severity overnight, and you won't be like a healthy 16 year-old over night, either. All you can do to save these teeth (and hopefully shut down your immune system's all-out blind assault on these tissues as well as other organs) is to keep them as spiffy-clean as possible! You can do it!!
+5

Been there, and the gum work was tender for a month or so, but likely saved me a few teeth.
It gets better.

Sensodyne is a friend of mine.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
If you had a 6 you definitely needed it cleaned in this fashion. What bothers me is that you weren't feeling any pain from a 6 because my pain level starts at about 4 or 5 so for a 6 I'd be running to the dentist pronto. Give it more time to heel; that is what is happening, your gums and teeth do not heel overnight. Get a tube of Sensodyne; it will help but probably not overnight either.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:42 AM

433 posts, read 1,769,248 times
I have been lucky with dentists. None of them would recommend a procedure that wasn't absolutely necessary.

Do you know your dentist to be this type?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
So I let my dentist convince me to have some periodontal deep cleaning on two areas of back molars. I had not had any previous pain, sensitivity or discomfort in these areas, but at a routine cleaning when they check the "pockets" around your teeth, I had a couple of "6s". So I had the deep cleaning done. Since that time (about 3 weeks ago) I have had discomfort that comes and goes during the day, sensitivity when flossing in those areas (kinda like the floss is touching a nerve). I have an appt to go back next week and I doubt he's going to admit that the "deep cleaning" had anything to do with these new developments. I also have a feeling he's going to tell me I need a root canal on this tooth now.
Avoid root canals if possible.
I chose to loose a way back molar instead of having a root canal.
Research dangers of them.
I had a really deep cleaning about a month ago. I have deep cleanings about 3 times a year as i've had some major work done and need to keep up on my dental maintenance.
I have a pocket and a 9! Darn.
I often will experience discomfort after these cleanings for up to a month.
Try a warm salt water rinse once or twice a day, It can be very soothing.
Or a Neem mouth wash (health food store) can be helpful too.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:18 PM

325 posts, read 2,994,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
So I let my dentist convince me to have some periodontal deep cleaning on two areas of back molars. I had not had any previous pain, sensitivity or discomfort in these areas, but at a routine cleaning when they check the "pockets" around your teeth, I had a couple of "6s". So I had the deep cleaning done. Since that time (about 3 weeks ago) I have had discomfort that comes and goes during the day, sensitivity when flossing in those areas (kinda like the floss is touching a nerve). I have an appt to go back next week and I doubt he's going to admit that the "deep cleaning" had anything to do with these new developments. I also have a feeling he's going to tell me I need a root canal on this tooth now.
It's quite common to have discomfort after a deep cleaning. There are two sources of this pain. First, your gums will be tender because of the trauma of having instruments placed in them. Second, the cleaning scrapes away protective cementum and exposes the dentin which makes them hypersensitive. It takes quite a while for the tooth to "adjust" and dull the sensation. Also, the gums are inflamed (and swollen) by all the bacteria and plaque. After the cleaning, the irritants are removed, so the gums will shrink back to a healthy state. That exposes even more of your tooth and thus thermal and mechanical (e.g. flossing) stimulation can evoke pain.

If the pain you're experiencing is from this, then a root canal should not be necessary.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:37 PM

325 posts, read 2,994,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Avoid root canals if possible.
I chose to loose a way back molar instead of having a root canal.
Research dangers of them.
I had a really deep cleaning about a month ago. I have deep cleanings about 3 times a year as i've had some major work done and need to keep up on my dental maintenance.
I have a pocket and a 9! Darn.
I often will experience discomfort after these cleanings for up to a month.
Try a warm salt water rinse once or twice a day, It can be very soothing.
Or a Neem mouth wash (health food store) can be helpful too.
There are approximately 16 million root canals performed per year. I've got one in my mouth. So does my wife. Personally, I don't think they're dangerous. If I did, I'd have to quit my job because I do them all day.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Getting a second unbiased opinion from another dentist is never a bad thing.

It's funny how one dental office will say you need work costing several thousand dollars, but another dental office has a different opinion and says the work isn't needed.

This seems to be very common in this area for some reason. It's all about finding a dentist you feel comfortable with and can trust their diagnosis and treatment.

I've been to too many dental offices in this area that seem to be more concerned about generating revenue for the office than whether the patient really needs to have the work done.
I can really relate to what you've said. I went to the same dentist for probably 20 years. I recently decided to get a dentist in my hometown so I could avoid driving that 45 miles -- I've done it for over 15 years after moving!

So I go to this dentist office and get my normal cleaning. Fine. But the hygienist first tried to sell me this $100 toothbrush. Then I saw the dentist who wanted to do implants (thousands of $$$). When I told him I'd done that and had to have 2 removed, he went on to another tooth he said was cracked and needed a crown and maybe a root canal (around $1500 or so). Funny thing, I'd been to my dentist every 4-6 months for 20 years and nothing was ever said about a crack in my tooth.

So I went back for my next 6 mo. cleaning and I told her I had a chipped or crumbled enamel on a tooth. The hygienist then determined that I must grind my teeth and need a specially fitted nightguard for $495. And that I should make an appt to get that one tooth fixed...and of course the dentist would discuss my options.

I made an appt., then cancelled. I honestly believe this office got their license from an "improved sales seminar" rather than dental school.

Now I'm stuck without a dentist...thinking of calling up my old doc and driving the 45 miles. Could be worth it.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:22 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
There are approximately 16 million root canals performed per year. I've got one in my mouth. So does my wife. Personally, I don't think they're dangerous. If I did, I'd have to quit my job because I do them all day.
I know.
It's debatable.
They're just not for me.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:00 PM

36 posts, read 94,420 times
If the first dentist is honest and the second one is completely careless and underdiagnoses gum disease because he is only concerned with getting out to the golf course, wouldn't the second opinion in this case be a "bad thing". There are plenty of dentists underdiagnosing periodontal disease. Why? Because it is hard to treat!

(There are plenty of lazy people out there. We got a plumber who told us that the sudden stoppage of bathroom sinks in our 40-year old house was due to the ventilation and design of the house. That was the second opinion, mind you.)

BranFlakes, Do you really think the dentist is going to risk a 4-year, 5-figure education investment just to slip by a quick $40?

THINK, people!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health