Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:35 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times

Advertisements

Professionally cleaned twice a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 06:21 PM

830 posts, read 2,711,596 times
Ideally twice a year (insurance). If I didn't have insurance, I probably wouldn't go, sadly.

But during a period of time when I changed jobs a few times and my insurance changed, I didn't ever get around to making the appointments. Even now I won't take a day off of work to go, so I have to be able to get an appointment during school vacation or I won't go.

Anyway, they always say my teeth are good, even when I've missed a year.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Wow. I have been in five years. My teeth are fine, however. In fact, I actually have more teeth than most people.
i don't want to be negative or be a fear monger but, for example, gum disease very often has no pain associated with it until it's too late.
why not just go in for a check up if you can afford it?
i'm the last person who says run to the doctor but, i guess because of my neglect and what resulted from it, i encourage dental visits.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:28 PM

479 posts, read 1,455,554 times
Coyoteskye....I know what you're talking about! After all my dental work, I started having my teeth cleaned every 4 months just to make sure! But over the past few years I've kept it at every 6 months. And brush and floss regularly...I've begun to think flossing is more important than brushing.

My husband hasn't been in years and he has more of his natural teeth than I do...go figure!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:30 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,435,254 times
We go twice a year...don't want to lose any teeth to gum disease!

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-02-2009, 07:34 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
I wouldn't even consider not going to the dentist and having my teeth cleaned every 6 months. Yeesh.

You a dentist woof??

Old 07-02-2009, 07:37 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I just made an appointment for a teeth cleaning.

I usually clean my teeth myself with little tools I get at the drug store, but I just spotted some plaque, so I figured I may be missing spots.

Anybody else clean their own teeth?

Otherwise, how often do you get your teeth cleaned?

Not for many, many years.
I had good dental care as a child, even orthodontia.
But I've been without dental insurance for my entire adult life.
So, no routine maintenance in perhaps fifteen to twenty years (can't remember exactly).
I wouldn't be surprised if I've got a cavity or two by now, but fortunately I was blessed with fundamentally sound, healthy teeth.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:24 PM

325 posts, read 2,994,883 times
The last time I got my teeth cleaned was 3 years ago... and my wife is a dental hygienist!

BTW, you don't need a professional to remove plaque. You want them to remove tartar (well, and plaque).

Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,591,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
The last time I got my teeth cleaned was 3 years ago... and my wife is a dental hygienist!

BTW, you don't need a professional to remove plaque. You want them to remove tartar (well, and plaque).

Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I do remember being told by a dentist on one of my last visits (which was at least 15 years ago) that I did not have tartar, and that not everybody gets it. Something about the Ph balance in people's saliva either protects them from developing tartar or makes them more prone to it. Not everybody is predisposed to it, apparently; some people have more of a natural protection against it.
At least this is what I recall the dentist telling me; it could be total b.s. or maybe I just misunderstood, because I don't think I've ever read or heard that anywhere else.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:53 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,723,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
Maybe this is just wishful thinking, but I do remember being told by a dentist on one of my last visits (which was at least 15 years ago) that I did not have tartar, and that not everybody gets it. Something about the Ph balance in people's saliva either protects them from developing tartar or makes them more prone to it. Not everybody is predisposed to it, apparently; some people have more of a natural protection against it.
At least this is what I recall the dentist telling me; it could be total b.s. or maybe I just misunderstood, because I don't think I've ever read or heard that anywhere else.
as i understand it the PH balance has more to do with bacterial growth.
a more acidic environment is a more friendlier one for bacteria.
but maybe bacteria is what creates and tartar and plaque?
i dunno.
i have these little mints that my dentist gave to me that i use after eating to alkalize the mouth.
i also have little chicklet like gum and a spray ... same product, different delivery system.
wow! no dentist in 15 years.
good teeth genes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health