Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 03:06 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times

Advertisements

I know for sure that I need a root canal on one of my teeth. When I had a crown put on a few years ago I was told it might give me trouble down the road. Well, its been hurting, a lot lately, but luckily for my tooth, I ended up needing some pretty powerful antibiotics for an intestinal infection I didn't know I even had and now the tooth is feeling much better, so temporarily I know the problem has been resolved. However I know its temporary. My concern is that I used up most of what my insurance will pay in a year when I had two crowns in January this year, so do you think I can hold off till next January when I have my full dental benefits back again?

Thanks!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:16 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
I would suggest from my own experience that you do not wait. IF you wait the tooth could abcess and this is extremely painful. I mean drugs will not stop the pain painful. Perhaps your endodontists could drill through your current crown and patch it after the root canal and you could bet a new crown later. I had to do this once and my old crown lasted a few years before I could afford to have it replaced. I have four crown and four root canals. The first one abcessed and after that I have always jumped on getting the others done quickly.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:01 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
I know for sure that I need a root canal on one of my teeth. When I had a crown put on a few years ago I was told it might give me trouble down the road. Well, its been hurting, a lot lately, but luckily for my tooth, I ended up needing some pretty powerful antibiotics for an intestinal infection I didn't know I even had and now the tooth is feeling much better, so temporarily I know the problem has been resolved. However I know its temporary. My concern is that I used up most of what my insurance will pay in a year when I had two crowns in January this year, so do you think I can hold off till next January when I have my full dental benefits back again?

Thanks!

Nancy
Well, i wouldn't have a root-canal at all (i'll avoid speaking about that controversy) and actually chose to let a tooth go (farthest back tooth) to avoid that procedure.
There are ways to combat low grade infection until you're ready to have the root canal work done but you don't want to fool around with a serious infection.
If you're open to alternative ways to deal with an infection, i suggest a two week course of Golden Seal, then go off of it for a bit, then back on again for another 2 weeks.
Golden Seal is actually a broad spectrum antibiotic and combats infection and i've used it on and off for years, both for teeth and other issues and for me, it works.
Herb-Pharm is a brand that i think is very good and you can find it on-line or at most health food stores.
You use it 3 times a day for two weeks.
It doesn't hurt to give it a try.
You might find that the pain abates and that you're able to stave off a more serious infection (you don't want to continually be on anti-biotics) until you are ready for the root-canal.
http://herb-pharm.com/index.php?action=viewsingles

Old 07-02-2009, 09:20 PM

325 posts, read 2,995,118 times
Depends on your pain tolerance and risk aversion. Without a proper diagnosis, no one knows for sure what's up with your tooth. Assuming the nerve is dying, however, you may or may not experience pain. If you do, it might be pretty intolerable. After the nerve dies, you'll probably experience a period of relative calm. Then, you may or may not experience swelling. In rare cases, the infection can spread and be life-threatening. With that said, you can see that no one can answer your question other than you, and even then it's a guess.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:48 AM

350 posts, read 4,158,349 times
I have a cracked tooth that my dentist said will need a root canal--it cracked 8 months ago and I have done nothing about it. I have minor pain once in awhile on chewing. It never abscessed and overall it is fine. I do not plan to get a root canal if it continues like this. There is no infection, no swelling. Just a little pain now and again if I bite something wrong (like a tomato seed). I went to an endodontist a month after it cracked and he said at that time it did not need a root canal, but probably would in the future. Since it hasn't changed since then I am not planning on getting a prophylactic root canal, that I believe would probably do more harm than good, at this point.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:33 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,955 times
Thanks for all your advice friends! It feels a little better, but is still sore on the underside when my tongue touches it. I guess I'll go get it checked out and take it from there. Maybe if it gets no worse than this I'll be able to hold out till January when my full benefits kick in again.

Nancy

Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,159,931 times
I had 1 root canal, and one filling several years ago in my back upper molars (wisdom teeth were removed on top). Both the root canal and filling ended up cracking, and both teeth broke. I ended up getting those teeth pulled, along with my wisdom teeth on the bottom.

I have another root canal on the bottom back tooth, and that tooth has cracked as well.

It's funny because I never had a cavity until after I gave birth to my daughter.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
If it was hurting you, you really need to see your dentist. The infection can spread and it can become quite serious. The dentist should assess the risk and advise you on a timeline for treatment.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,746 times
Hi Nancy,

What did you end up doing ? I'm in the same state and wondering if there's a temporary filling that can cover for the next few months so that I can get a proper procedure done next year.Hi Nancy,

Old 10-15-2019, 09:59 AM

613 posts, read 944,375 times
I need another root canal, apparently, on my #19 molar, according to both my dentist, & the endodontist I saw. The molar has a bunch of old fillings, a chip off the back, & a small abscess. The endodontist said he'd take the fillings out before he started the root canal, to see better if the tooth was cracked, & to check for any possible cavities. It sounded like--if he sees a crack--he wouldn't do the root canal. (And probably recommend that the tooth be pulled, I think).

I've been on amoxicillin for a week, & right now, the pain has subsided (for now). My dentist was adamant that the tooth either needed to be pulled, or get a root canal & crown. I've still got all of my original teeth so far (2 with root canals & crowns), so I'm hoping to save this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health