Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I'm not surprised, after reading years ago that the greatest cause of human mortality in the past could be attributed to poor dental care -- sorry, Elipar, but I think the evidence is against you.
Nice post LookinForMayberry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
There's too much emphasis on dental cleanings, pro and con. Gum disease is a state of chronic bacterial (among others) infection. Not only are bacteria being released into the bloodstream, your body is ramping up your immune system and there's collateral damage to blood vessels, locally and systemically (e.g. your heart). It's been shown that you're just as likely to have a release of bacteria into your bloodstream by brushing your teeth as you are getting a dental cleaning. Also, a cleaning removes some (but not all) bacteria once, but you've still got an active infection the rest of the time.

You disagree with the finding of the american medical association. Are you a scientist and researcher;otherwise i'll listen to the experts.The findign of teh studies are avialble in msot dentist offices for anyone to see. Links o your?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You disagree with the finding of the american medical association. Are you a scientist and researcher;otherwise i'll listen to the experts.The findign of teh studies are avialble in msot dentist offices for anyone to see. Links o your?
You guys...Elipar IS a dentist! I think that all he is saying is that too much cleaning is just as bad as not enough cleaning, as either one of them releases the bacteria into the bloodstream. As with many things, there are always pros and cons. As an example, my dentist said that smoking cauterizes blood vessels in your gums, and as such prevents excessive bleeding when brushing your teeth. Now that I stopped smoking, she said I should expect to see more bleeding while brushing because the blood vessels are no longer cauterized, and for me not to panic. Well sure enough, my gums bleed like crazy when I brush my teeth and will take some time to get back to normal. So while quitting smoking is beneficial to gum health, it will also cause more bleeding (at least I hope temporarily) than if I were smoking.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:24 PM

325 posts, read 2,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Actually, I'm not in disagreement with the AMA. You misunderstood my post. As a dentist myself, I'd be crazy to suggest that dental cleanings are unimportant. The statement I was making was that a person cannot depend on a dental cleaning to prevent periodontitis and the resultant bacteremias that follow. Periodontitis is treated first and foremost at home with diligent and meticulous personal hygiene. A person does this 365 days a year, whereas a dental cleaning only takes place ~4 times a year.

To answer your second question, I'm a scientist, researcher, and a clinician. Here's your literature request:

Kinane DF, Riggio MP, Walker KF, MacKenzie D, Shearer B. Bacteraemia following periodontal procedures. J Clin Periodontol 2005.

Introduction: Transient bacteraemias are frequently detected following dental manipulation. Infective endocarditis (IE) can arise in susceptible individuals and antibiotic prophylaxis is routinely performed for certain procedures considered to be "at risk" of IE. Evidence is emerging that periodontal disease may be a significant risk factor for the development of certain systemic diseases such as cardiovascular disease. These systemic conditions could be initiated or detrimentally influenced by the repeated entry of bacteria into the bloodstream.
Materials and Methods: The present study comprised a single blind parallel study of 2 weeks duration. A baseline blood sample was obtained from 30 volunteers with untreated periodontal disease following which a periodontal probing depth chart was collected. A further blood sample was taken following this procedure, and each subject was recalled 2 weeks later. A blood sample was collected, the subject carried out toothbrushing and a further blood sample taken. Full-mouth ultrasonic scaling was then performed and a final blood sample taken. Blood samples were analysed for bacteraemia using conventional microbiological culture and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) using universal bacterial primers that target the 16S ribosomal RNA gene of the vast majority of bacteria.
Results: Using culture methods, the incidence of bacteraemias was as follows: following ultrasonic scaling (13%), periodontal probing (20%) and toothbrushing (3%). PCR analysis revealed bacteraemia incidences following ultrasonic scaling, periodontal probing and toothbrushing of 23%, 16% and 13%, respectively.
Conclusion: These findings suggest that detectable dental bacteraemias induced by periodontal procedures are at a lower level than previously reported.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 PM

325 posts, read 2,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
You guys...Elipar IS a dentist! I think that all he is saying is that too much cleaning is just as bad as not enough cleaning, as either one of them releases the bacteria into the bloodstream. As with many things, there are always pros and cons. As an example, my dentist said that smoking cauterizes blood vessels in your gums, and as such prevents excessive bleeding when brushing your teeth. Now that I stopped smoking, she said I should expect to see more bleeding while brushing because the blood vessels are no longer cauterized, and for me not to panic. Well sure enough, my gums bleed like crazy when I brush my teeth and will take some time to get back to normal. So while quitting smoking is beneficial to gum health, it will also cause more bleeding (at least I hope temporarily) than if I were smoking.
No, getting too many cleanings is not bad... it's actually great. But who has a dental hygienist clean their teeth every day? No one. That's why YOU have to do the work the other 361 days that the hygienist doesn't do it. That was the point I was making---don't put too much emphasis on a dental cleaning, because it's only a small part of the healing process to dealing with periodontitis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health