Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,215 times

Advertisements

I tried starting a new thread but could only reply to an existing one. Anyway I'm 30 years old and had all my wisdom teeth out on Mon (5 days ago) and am still in a lot of pain. They were all impacted and as far as I know I'm not experiencing dry socket. I had one lower one going right though the nerve and have a bruised nerve right now. What I want to know is how long should I expect the pain to last?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 08:52 AM

23,562 posts, read 70,121,575 times
Anyone considering having wisdom teeth pulled should seriously think about having the job done by an oral surgeon. When I had mine out, I was literally eating steak at night after an AM procedure. I've had stubbed toes that had worse pain.

In contrast, when I had teeth pulled for orthodontic work by a dentist, the pain lasted a couple of weeks and was seriously bad. I'd give that bruised nerve another week to calm down.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:01 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,304,624 times
You must be feeling pretty awful right now Lee Lee, five days of pain.

Dry socket is really painful, like deep in the bone pain and doesn't get better. Are you feeling that kind of pain?

Very gentle swishing of warm salt water helps to heal your mouth, but you have to be careful not to move or disturb the blood clots that have formed since the tooth extractions. The more warm salt water swishes, the faster it'll heal, plus helps in preventing infection .. you just have careful and move the warm water slowly from one side to the other without any pressure.

If you are in any doubt as to whether it's dry socket, then duck into the dentist real quick. If air is getting to your nerve, then it's going to stay painful for longer than necessary.

Getting your wisdom teeth out is such a drag, but at least that part is over and done with. Hope you find some pain relief soon.

Old 08-17-2009, 05:40 PM

325 posts, read 2,992,826 times
If it's dry socket, swish your mouth with clove oil/water (50/50). It tastes nasty, but it's soothing. Also, see your dentist ASAP for some TLC of the socket.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:26 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,257,537 times
I had all of mine removed at age 19. I was back up and running around that afternoon, I remember I played basketball and jumped on the trampoline and felt fine.

A day later I was back at school and had dull nagging pain that would not go away. It was hard to go to class, but my dentist was back in my home town. Suffered through a couple of days of this before getting back to the dentist. He scolded me for running around the day of the removals and said that was the cause. Then he stuck some medical patch or something against the sockets and literally within 10 seconds the pain was completely gone and never came back.

The moral of the story is take the doctor's (dentist's) orders seriously even if you seem to feel fine doing the opposite.

By the way, I have a set of FOURTH MOLARS coming in, imagine that.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:35 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,974,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Anyone considering having wisdom teeth pulled should seriously think about having the job done by an oral surgeon. When I had mine out, I was literally eating steak at night after an AM procedure. I've had stubbed toes that had worse pain.

In contrast, when I had teeth pulled for orthodontic work by a dentist, the pain lasted a couple of weeks and was seriously bad. I'd give that bruised nerve another week to calm down.
I think it varies greatly by the condition of the tooth. I did my right side two weeks ago and was eating hard foods the next day with absolutely no swelling. Now I did my left side this past thurs and although my face is no longer swollen (went down on Saturday) I still have some soreness in my gums. Both sides were done by the same orthodontists and he's really good at what he does. By the way, both sides were done while I was awake (I actually don't know anyone who had this done asleep) with just the numbing of the nerves as a pain killer. I'd say each side took about 30min with the left side (the more painful one) taking a bit longer because the teeth had deeper roots and grew at a slight angle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health