Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM

275 posts, read 1,279,880 times

Advertisements

I saw some people use listerine antiseptic mouthwash everyday. I tried for the first time today, felt it was a little stingy but tolerable, and guess I might feel better if I continued to try another time.

So I wonder how good it is?

Is it safe to use daily?

Which is more important, floss or listerine antiseptic mouthwash?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 AM

805 posts, read 1,858,264 times
I spoke to my dentist about this a month ago - she recommends listerine total care to be used daily. You get used to the sting.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM

50,010 posts, read 63,335,877 times
My dentist just recommended it yesterday to treat a couple of little places on my gums that were easily irritated.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,516,822 times
I don't feel it is any better than any of the other brands. It's just more pricey because of name recognition.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM

10,272 posts, read 10,508,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I don't feel it is any better than any of the other brands. It's just more pricey because of name recognition.
Exactly. It is identical to the WalMart Equate brand. Read the label and compare the ingredients.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,638,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Exactly. It is identical to the WalMart Equate brand. Read the label and compare the ingredients.
If they really -are- identical ingredients, then they're probably made BY Johnson & Johnson (the company that owns the Listerine label), with a store label (typical of store brands of all kinds of things).

However, you never know when you're dealing with WalMart products. It's possible that the alcohol is denatured, the menthol synthesized from the intestines of rats who were force-fed spearmint for a month, the thymol from thyme infested with chiggers, and the methyl salacylate from the same aspirin that was recalled a few years ago for containing poison.

My guess is, it's one or the other.

In any case, Listerine is a great product, and any "generic" with the same formula (assuming it's using quality ingredients and not substandard crap of WalMart infamy) is going to be great as well.

The thing that stings is actually the thymol, which is a very powerful natural aromatic antisceptic coming primarily from the the common thyme plant (it's a chemical component of several aromatic plants).

Basically, Listerine (and its generic counterparts) is an aromatherapy product

Old 10-11-2012, 07:37 AM

Does listerine contain antibiotics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If they really -are- identical ingredients, then they're probably made BY Johnson & Johnson (the company that owns the Listerine label), with a store label (typical of store brands of all kinds of things).

However, you never know when you're dealing with WalMart products. It's possible that the alcohol is denatured, the menthol synthesized from the intestines of rats who were force-fed spearmint for a month, the thymol from thyme infested with chiggers, and the methyl salacylate from the same aspirin that was recalled a few years ago for containing poison.

My guess is, it's one or the other.

In any case, Listerine is a great product, and any "generic" with the same formula (assuming it's using quality ingredients and not substandard crap of WalMart infamy) is going to be great as well.

The thing that stings is actually the thymol, which is a very powerful natural aromatic antisceptic coming primarily from the the common thyme plant (it's a chemical component of several aromatic plants).

Basically, Listerine (and its generic counterparts) is an aromatherapy product

Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Does listerine contain antibiotics?
That's a loaded question.

Thymol has natural antibiotic properties, but it is not an antibiotic. If you're asking of Listerine can kill bacteria and virii, then the answer is yes.

If you're asking if there is any penicillin or similar in Listerine, the answer is no.

It's sort of like asking if there's antibiotics in garlic. The answer to that is also no - however, garlic has natural antibiotic properties.

Listerine is predominately ethanol (grain alchohol), menthol (from mint), and thymol (from thyme).

You could find out yourself by checking the ingredients list right on the label at the supermarket, or online.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:58 PM

Today I went to a teeth hygienist, who asked me to use floss besides brushing my teeth, and didn't mention mouthwash like Listerine. When I asked about it in particular, she said she would recommend alcohol free, such as ACT anticavity alchohol-free flourid rinse. I wonder if mouthwash isn't as needed as it is advertised to be? How do you think about ACT anticavity alchohol-free flourid rinse?

Last edited by timlee; 10-15-2012 at 06:35 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 PM

I don't think about it one way or another. I use Listerine. Mouthwashes are generally not a -necessary- part of routine daily dental hygeine. Flossing and brushing your teeth, however, are. I use Listerine because I've had a lot of dental work done in the past two years, and as a result, I'm at risk of inflammation.

Also, fluoride rinses are -not- the same thing as mouthwashes. A fluoride rinse is something you'd do once a month. A mouthwash is something you'd do every day. Do you mean Act mouthwash with fluoride? Or do you mean it's an actual fluoride rinse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health