Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:04 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,945,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I stand corrected - I misspoke. It replaces the pulp that's in the root, not the whole of the root. Only the inside of it (which would be the nerve and the pulp, and not the dentin surrounding it).

But root canal treatments are not ALWAYS done only for infection - sometimes they're done to save a dead tooth, that has no infection at all. The medicated packing, WHEN it's used (which isn't always), is put in there exactly for the reason you suggest - to kill off the bacteria prior to a permanent filling.

I didn't have my tooth removed, I had a root canal treatment. In fact, I've had a few. Only one of them has given me any trouble at all, in the 25 years I've had root canal treatments in my mouth. MOST people have little, or no trouble, with root canal treatments for most of their lives, as long as they take care of them as directed - using floss, brushing twice daily, using an antiseptic rinse, and getting twice-yearly checkups.

Some people will have problems with them anyway, but most will not.
I suggest you start doing some research before posting. Many of your posts on dental health care have been faulty in the information presented. You've said some very bad things about dentists when you had no cause.

Basically, you multiply information, just like you did with this post, rephrasing a post above and making it your own. That is plagiarism in case you didn't know.

Health issues can have serious consequences for people following bad advice. Just because you found it on the Internet doesn't mean it is good information. When you post that stuff it can easily be out of context and without proper professional interpretation and application (and you are not a dentist or doctor) dangerous to the health of others. There are plenty of forums and threads where opinions count but can do no real harm. Here, you are treading on very thin ice. You come off trying to sound like a dental health care professional and use links to back up some of your posts but that isn't the same as knowledge.

There are plenty of topics in this forum (dental health) where non-professional opinions have a place. I suggest you stick to them before someone experiences a health disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 04:06 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleedee View Post
I am facing a similar problem. I had a root canal performed 10 years ago by an endodontist. Now the x-ray is showing a shadowing, so they are recommending a retreatment root canal. I will have to have the initial root canal cleaned out and then have a antiseptic packing placed for 10 days???? THEN, I will have to have the filling put in and a temporary crown placed for six months. They will reevaluate the shadowing/infection to see if it has resolved before placing the permanent crown. I'm concerned that this endodontist just did poor work the first time. I have family members who have never had to have a root canal redone. The tooth is back lower molar. I'm thinking I should just have it pulled, but I'm scared to do that. I just can't see redoing the root canal and hoping the outcome will be better. Why didn't it work the first time???
I think there is often a problem with doctors not being able to get it perfectly clean.
I would NEVER pull a tooth unless there was no other way of handling it.

Root canals are often redone. Some dentists have a better success rate than others.

Ask around and get the best doctor you can to work on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health