Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:00 PM

506 posts, read 2,574,696 times

Advertisements

That post would have been awesome if it stayed in the canal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 09:12 PM

325 posts, read 2,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephie1 View Post
I had a root canal/crown done a few years ago. The crown came loose and fall out. About a month ago I went to another dentist for a different issue. He took x-rays of my mouth. The dentist told me that the spot were the root canal/crown was done there was still some tooth still there that is why the RC/C didnt stay in my gum. Does anyone have an thoughts on what to do. The dentist wants to cut into gums to get rest of tooth out and do another RC/C but I dont have money to do all this. HELP.
Could you clarify what this means? I don't understand the situation very well.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 8,649 times
I had a root canal done about 6 months ago, maybe more. I wasnt aware that I even needed one because there was no pain whatsoever. Anyway, the dentist went a head and did it and I cant recall any pay that I would think wasnt normal in the days to come. Then a few weeks later I started experiencing extreme sensitivity to anything hot or remotly warm ( only in the tooth that was root canaled and each tooth on either side ) I went to the dentist and he put some sort of goo on my gum and said I brush too long or hard and wore away my gums, he said I should use sensodyne and it should go away if not completly then for the most part. It did not. It got worse. I went back 2 or 3 times about it, they take xrays, give me antibotics and now I dont even have to be eating or drinking to feel pain. It just comes on its own. Its getting expensive to keep paying for xrays and check ups and not getting any relif. Any thoughts? Any one else experience this?? It sucks.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 8,327 times
Dental procedures are ridiculously priced in the U.S. I have done and redone my mouth four times in the past 15 years. I have spent over 40,000 and owe another 8,000 and now 2.5 years after the last treatment in which I replaced 6 root canals and 8 crowns and redid all the filings, all the crowns are falling off with the root canals and there is no tooth left except what is inside. I am also being told that I have no bone left on the top and will have to do bone replacement (cadaver bone or something) and have implants put in all over. I pulled three molars and am in the process of pulling out a few more, all had root canals and crowns done 3 times... I still do not understand why the dentists are so stubburn and will not test PH levels and see why any metal other than pure gold eats right thru my teeth. I had braces and when they were pulled off all the enamel went with them, leaving me ugly holes. I floss 10 or more times a day, I use mouthwash, I even brush 6-8 times a day. Dentistry is a money making industry and there is really no true desire or interest in what is really happening with the patient its all about how much can be made.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele55 View Post
Dental procedures are ridiculously priced in the U.S. I have done and redone my mouth four times in the past 15 years. I have spent over 40,000 and owe another 8,000 and now 2.5 years after the last treatment in which I replaced 6 root canals and 8 crowns and redid all the filings, all the crowns are falling off with the root canals and there is no tooth left except what is inside. I am also being told that I have no bone left on the top and will have to do bone replacement (cadaver bone or something) and have implants put in all over. I pulled three molars and am in the process of pulling out a few more, all had root canals and crowns done 3 times... I still do not understand why the dentists are so stubburn and will not test PH levels and see why any metal other than pure gold eats right thru my teeth. I had braces and when they were pulled off all the enamel went with them, leaving me ugly holes. I floss 10 or more times a day, I use mouthwash, I even brush 6-8 times a day. Dentistry is a money making industry and there is really no true desire or interest in what is really happening with the patient its all about how much can be made.
Yours is a rare situation. If your mouth were healthy and normal, you wouldn't have needed all that work, and it wouldn't have cost you so much. You wouldn't have needed work done repeatedly, you wouldn't have needed 6 crowns 8 fillings after only 2.5 years. You wouldn't have had to pull 3 molars and then another 3. You definitely wouldn't be flossing 10 times a day (your gums are probably badly scarred from slicing through them with the floss). You absolutely wouldn't be brusing 6-8 times a day (I wouldn't doubt it for a moment if you have worn some of the enamel right off your teeth with all that abrasive action to them).

Pure gold is not something used for fillings. Dental gold is only 16k, whereas pure gold is 24k. If you had pure gold on your fillings, they'd fall apart every time you brushed your teeth. If you have a nickel allergy you should be getting composites, and not amalgams. But then, you'd have to pay even more, because composite fillings are more expensive than amalgams, because most dental insurance doesn't cover them at all.

The reason *your* dental work is so ridiculously expensive, is because *your* situation is abnormal. Normal dental histories don't involve that much work.

Old 10-14-2011, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 8,308 times
I'd just like to say even perfectly good root canals can go bad even decades later, out of the blue. You really do need to prove and differentiate between negligence and simply medical bad luck.

If you do have an infection, this is something you can not simply let go. This infection will destroy the bone around your tooth and eventually, neighboring teeth. Not only will you need a redone root canal but a bone graft (something expensive most likely not covered by insurance). Amazingly, there is a good chance you won't be in any pain what so ever while all this nasty stuff is going on.

And take into consideration the number one killer of people long ago and why many didn't see their 40th birthday was complications resulting from orbiting infections via dental infections. These infections can travel throughout the body, to the heart, wherever.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 25,351 times
I had a root canal on a molar 2 months ago. The endodontists are well respected and i have gone to them before. They worked on my tooth 4 times, each dentist trying to get out 2 root that are calcified. They got 2 roots but couldn't get the other two. They said sometimes you can leave it and get a crown, if not have it xxtracted. I have been living with the tooth to see if it troubles me before investing in the crown. it definitly hurts on occasion, enough to not take the chance of putting on a crown. it is in the back so it can be extracted. i paid $1000 for 4 roots and only 2 were removed. Should I have paid for the entire tooth since it is extimated by the number of roots removed? I know this can happen, but it seems unfair to pay for a job that couldn't be completed. What is your pofessional opinion. thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 11:22 AM

I had a root canal on a molar 2 months ago. The endodontists are well respected and i have gone to them before. They worked on my tooth 4 times, each dentist trying to get out 2 root that are calcified. They got 2 roots but coulodn't get the other two. They said sometimes you can leave it and get a crown, if not have it xxtracted. I have been living with the tooth to see if it troubles me before investing in the crown. it definitly hurts on occasion, enough to not take the chance of putting on a crown. it is in the back so it can be extracted. i paid $1000 for 4 roots and only 2 were removed. Should I have paid for the entire tooth since it is extimated by the number of roots removed? I know this can happen, but it seems unfair to pay for a job that couldn't be completed. What is your pofessional opinion. thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 11:23 AM

I had a root canal on a molar 2 months ago. The endodontists are well respected and i have gone to them before. They worked on my tooth 4 times, each dentist trying to get out 2 root that are calcified. They got 2 roots but coulodn't get the other two. They said sometimes you can leave it and get a crown, if not have it xxtracted. I have been living with the tooth to see if it troubles me before investing in the crown. it definitly hurts on occasion, enough to not take the chance of putting on a crown. it is in the back so it can be extracted. i paid $1000 for 4 roots and only 2 were removed. Should I have paid for the entire tooth since it is extimated by the number of roots removed? I know this can happen, but it seems unfair to pay for a job that couldn't be completed. What is your pofessional opinion. thanks

Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 7,935 times
Is a dentist that did a root canal job on me financially responsible for having missed a canal? I had to have my crown removed (it couldn't be saved) in order to clean out the missed canal that was causing the infections in my face. $1,000(about) for the root canal, post and crown then $1,000(about) to get it removed. I'm in Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health